Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

On 9/13/2022 at 10:22 PM, Stu Peters said:

Clearly English isn't your first language, so well done for making SOME sense. But your grasp of global economics is flimsier than my own - this inflation and (dare I say the word) recession is absolutely NOT the fault of our government but as a result of outside forces - not least (IMO) this headlong rush to net zero and bugger the consequences. While we've been 'setting an example' and grandstanding to Greta et al the world has gone to hell in a handcart, Putin playing a role but the massive power of the seemingly untouchable energy companies, their bankers and commodity brokers being the biggest factors. Follow the money, this is going to cost the IOMG not make it any richer.

I am not sure why the jingoistic remark “English is not your first language” was altogether necessary – is Manx as a first language okay with you? For many people not speaking English as their first language is not an intellectual handicap, as you infer, it is just something else they learn along the way. What is “clear” to me is that no matter what language a democratically elected person speaks, they must have the necessary personality traits, such as having a thick skin, a willingness to engage honestly with other peoples’ points of view and perhaps most of all to be adaptable and giving. Scolding a member of public (who is likely paying your wages through their taxes) for ‘getting on your wick’ is unprofessional and unbecoming of someone who is supposed to be a public servant - this is what MHKs are meant to do, i.e., serving the public is central to their job description. That said, our parish politicos probably can get away with offending their constituents. In the UK though, some politicians, especially those on the left, pay a much higher price for indiscretions than others do (just ask Gordon Brown about the price he paid for his careless “bigoted woman” gaffe).

Personally, I find your thinly-veiled contempt for people who care about protecting the environment (for all species and all future generations) repellent and sadly predictable. I am disappointed that by your own admission you don’t understand “global economics” very well. Under the surface of the daily newsbeat of 'sensational news' stories, the biggest issue we face is that the Island’s finances are deteriorating and in the medium term they could become unsustainable, unless circumstances notably change for the better. The IOM is facing, and will continue to face, a number of difficult economic, financial and environmental challenges over the next two to five years. The GMP needs their politicians to be able to positively contribute to solving those challenges. If you are not fully conversant with what those challenges are, quite honestly what value can you add to the ongoing welfare of the Island?

Edited by code99
typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, code99 said:

The IOM is facing, and will continue to face, a number of difficult economic, financial and environmental challenges over the next two to five years. The GMP needs their politicians to be able to positively contribute to solving those challenges

My reading of the £2m+ KPMG recommendations is that emphatic response to climate change - together with significant investment in green digital infrastructure - will be the main drivers of economic development for the island, & - if implemented - may lead to population growth

If Government & Tynwald pay just lip service to this then we will proceed economically & environmentally little more than nowhere

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, code99 said:

I am not sure why the jingoistic remark “English is not your first language” was altogether necessary – is Manx as a first language okay with you? For many people not speaking English as their first language is not an intellectual handicap, as you infer, it is just something else they learn along the way. What is “clear” to me is that no matter what language a democratically elected person speaks, they must have the necessary personality traits, such as having a thick skin, a willingness to engage honestly with other peoples’ points of view and perhaps most of all to be adaptable and giving. Scolding a member of public (who is likely paying your wages through their taxes) for ‘getting on your wick’ is unprofessional and unbecoming of someone who is supposed to be a public servant - this is what MHKs are meant to do, i.e., serving the public is central to their job description. That said, our parish politicos probably can get away with offending their constituents. In the UK though, some politicians, especially those on the left, pay a much higher price for indiscretions than others do (just ask Gordon Brown about the price he paid for his careless “bigoted woman” gaff).

Personally, I find your thinly-veiled contempt for people who care about protecting the environment (for all species and all future generations) repellent and sadly predictable. I am disappointed that by your own admission you don’t understand “global economics” very well. Under the surface of the daily newsbeat of 'sensational news' stories, the biggest issue we face is that the Island’s finances are deteriorating and in the medium term they could become unsustainable, unless circumstances notably change for the better. The IOM is facing, and will continue to face, a number of difficult economic, financial and environmental challenges over the next two to five years. The GMP needs their politicians to be able to positively contribute to solving those challenges. If you are not fully conversant with what those challenges are, quite honestly what value can you add to the ongoing welfare of the Island?

Stu does kind of have a point on the net zero rush.  The amount of money being spent at the moment of going green is huge and this at a time when everyone and every country should be tightening belts ready for an economic shit storm.  Whether you think it is a good thing or not is separate from the cost.  It is something that should have been done years ago, it's because the can has been kicked down the road for so long, but now with an agreed target date that it will cost so much and be an added expense to struggling economies. 

Take a look at our master plan.  £40M set aside and what has it been used upon?  Nothing.  Would it be better in the NHS or in the pockets of people trying to pay their gas bills?  It will be a similar story for many other countries, especially in the developed world and/or those countries whose economies rely upon fossil fuels and the like. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Stu does kind of have a point on the net zero rush.  The amount of money being spent at the moment of going green is huge and this at a time when everyone and every country should be tightening belts ready for an economic shit storm.  Whether you think it is a good thing or not is separate from the cost.  It is something that should have been done years ago, it's because the can has been kicked down the road for so long, but now with an agreed target date that it will cost so much and be an added expense to struggling economies. 

Take a look at our master plan.  £40M set aside and what has it been used upon?  Nothing.  Would it be better in the NHS or in the pockets of people trying to pay their gas bills?  It will be a similar story for many other countries, especially in the developed world and/or those countries whose economies rely upon fossil fuels and the like. 

Pollution may get less because of less use of vehicles and energy because of the cost, well, amongst the poorly paid anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wrighty said:

No other nation could manage a queue like this - only in Britain.

I think they’re giving wristbands to those who join which are numbered, and allow people to leave for a bit, and stop foreigners pushing in (like you always get at Spanish theme parks for example)

They used wristbands in Edinburgh. Guessing same system there. Everything was very civilised. Very few cops and just some people at the end of the queue to keep things organised.  But yes, no other nation on earth would embrace queuing like this.  

CDA56C09-19CC-497E-B0CC-1845B7ED456C.jpeg

B47C19ED-EC65-4939-98D9-120C169FC977.jpeg

3D638F92-E071-40D2-87A2-1B88B8A4C8EA.jpeg

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Or would Wester countries better use the money set aside for carbon neutral plans for re-arming, in light of China and Russias recent antics?

• Like 1