Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Funnily enough I was just thinking the other day, when they were moving her coffin somewhere or other and all the marching and pageantry and all that chanting God save the King when the governor was doing whatever it was he was doing at Government House.

It's all a bit North Korean isn't it? 

Not really.  Most countries do similar things.  Here's an account of people lining up all night for George Bush only four years ago, and he was only head of state for 4 years not 70.  And his funeral had much of the similar pageantry etc.  The motivations of individuals queueing seem to be similar as well - wanting to show respect and witness a part of history, rather than some 

Where the events of the last week in the UK differ is not so much in the basic ritual, but in the implicit demands of the papers that everyone behave is certain ways.  This clearly dates back to the death of Diana in 1997 and the willingness of Blair to allow his media chums to dictate what should happen and who should be attacked for not obeying to their ever-changing demands.

• Like 1

So what are we going to do on monday to 'show respect' to the monarchy? I thought I may lower my 'Peoples Republic of the Isle of Man' flag to, at least three quarters if not half mast? Maybe not booze so much and keep my mouth shut when some Manx person says how wonderful she was!

However, I might fail if someone tries to elevate her above other Human Beings!!!

....but hey, an extra bank holiday, most people will just whoop it up, I wonder if MNH will close? They don't usually on bank hols, could be a chance to get more people thru the doors!!!

Will MF be locked on monday???

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So what are we going to do on monday to 'show respect' to the monarchy? I thought I may lower my 'Peoples Republic of the Isle of Man' flag to, at least three quarters if not half mast?

I hate to break this to you, but that is more or less half-mast.  According to the official guidance:

Half-mast means the flag is flown a third of the way down the flagpole from the top, with at least the height of the flag between the top of the flag and the top of the flagpole.

So half-mast is really two-thirds.  What else did you expect?

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They may not be model employers, but it's a bit harsh to call Dominos ancient.

Any interuption to the 'domino' effect will have been the result of War, violent or or not, suppression or opposition to the current lineage, as at the mo?, and the total futility of the system as exists?

I n 50 years will we laugh at this deference? \maybe Ten?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really.  Most countries do similar things.  Here's an account of people lining up all night for George Bush only four years ago, and he was only head of state for 4 years not 70.  And his funeral had much of the similar pageantry etc.  The motivations of individuals queueing seem to be similar as well - wanting to show respect and witness a part of history, rather than some 

Where the events of the last week in the UK differ is not so much in the basic ritual, but in the implicit demands of the papers that everyone behave is certain ways.  This clearly dates back to the death of Diana in 1997 and the willingness of Blair to allow his media chums to dictate what should happen and who should be attacked for not obeying to their ever-changing demands.

It's not the queuing I was referring to. It's all the pomp and ceremony and the universally expected deference for the leader, regardless of the completely undemocratic way in which they were appointed.

It's the sort of thing we take the piss out of when it happens elsewhere - don't tell me you have cracked a smile watching the energetic marching routines of the North Koreans on TV.

Those pictures of the fella getting violently dragged from the crowd by police for disrespecting prince Andrew, incredible!

The monarchy is an interesting historical tradition - I think it probably should be kept in some form providing the people of the UK want it. But to have the monarch as head of state, or in any way involved in the governance of the country is just simply madness in a modern democratic society.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

... all the pomp and ceremony and the universally expected deference for the leader, regardless of the completely undemocratic way in which they were appointed.

But nobody's under pressure to show deference. The mourners are queuing-up of their own free-will and the completely undemocratic way in which they were appointed matters not a jot to them, the idea having never even occurred to them. The pomp and ceremony is all part of it for them. They are proud of their nation, their Royal Family, the flag and everything British.

This won't be the end of the pomp and ceremony either, considering we've a coronation for the King imminent and an investiture for the new Prince of Wales in the near future.

How involved is the monarch in British politics and the governance of the country these days? Are they a strategic influence? 

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's all a bit North Korean isn't it? 

As you are clearly of the “not very intelligent” variety, I’ll explain the difference. Here in the United Kingdom we are there of our own free will. In North Korea, you are normally marched down there at the end of a pointy weapon

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The use of What3words reminds me of the typo on a sign in the IOM which had a typo in the What3words that would take you to a village on Outer Mongolia, or somewhere.

Can't remember where the sign was, but it was in the past couple of weeks and was replaced pronto. 

Surprised no one picked up the story on here.