Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The use of What3words reminds me of the typo on a sign in the IOM which had a typo in the What3words that would take you to a village on Outer Mongolia, or somewhere.

Can't remember where the sign was, but it was in the past couple of weeks and was replaced pronto. 

Surprised no one picked up the story on here. 

It was on a sign in Laxey glen gardens playground that would direct whoever to somewhere in Poland!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

But nobody's under pressure to show deference.

... and until the death of Liz no one would have given a thought to the monarchy???

Not so long ago, there was clamour for William? to be the next king rather thsan charles because of the royal reaction or not to the death of diana. Now he is the pretty as a princess in the view of those who would have usurped him???

I think psychologists would struggle to understand the 'flip' in public opinion around this. Facebook me me me reactionary???

Come monday, I'll' live my normal live, no sack cloth n ashes or deference!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

It's not the queuing I was referring to. It's all the pomp and ceremony and the universally expected deference for the leader, regardless of the completely undemocratic way in which they were appointed.

It's the sort of thing we take the piss out of when it happens elsewhere - don't tell me you have cracked a smile watching the energetic marching routines of the North Koreans on TV.

Those pictures of the fella getting violently dragged from the crowd by police for disrespecting prince Andrew, incredible!

The monarchy is an interesting historical tradition - I think it probably should be kept in some form providing the people of the UK want it. But to have the monarch as head of state, or in any way involved in the governance of the country is just simply madness in a modern democratic society.

It does show you are a fool it is a Constitutional monarchy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2bees said:

Are you a 12 year old girl Willie?

What is this obsession with 12 year Olds on here, peters cant stop thinking about greta. My neice is 12 and has her head screwwed on a lot more than the demented old gobshites on here.

Edited by HiVibes

28 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

What is this obsession with 12 year Olds on here, peters cant stop thinking about greta. My neice is 12 and has her head screwwed on a lot more than the demented old gobshites on here.

i don't think Greta is still 12 , she ages just like the rest of us ya know.

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Kopek said:

but hey, an extra bank holiday, most people will just whoop it up, I wonder if MNH will close? They don't usually on bank hols, could be a chance to get more people thru the doors!!!

All MNH sites are shut on Monday as a mark of respect:

https://manxnationalheritage.im/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/HRH-QEII-MNHClosureNotice-1-1.pdf

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

The use of What3words reminds me of the typo on a sign in the IOM which had a typo in the What3words that would take you to a village on Outer Mongolia, or somewhere.

It actually happens quite a lot as it will pick plurals of words sometimes  i.e. x.x.dog will locate you to somewhere completely different to x.x.dogs.  I know of a few mountain rescue incidents in the UK that have gone haywire due to a mispronunciation. 

I use W3W quite a bit and sometimes think it's trying to send me subliminal messages.  I was on an active adventure a few weeks ago and it told me 'motivation.beats.suppliments' (or something very similar). I had to send someone to the courthouse here a while ago and it said 'refers.joke.banks' (just checked this) which was a bit worrying for the finance sector. 

3 hours ago, HiVibes said:

No obsession here with 12 year olds. And btw how many accounts do you need?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

It actually happens quite a lot as it will pick plurals of words sometimes  i.e. x.x.dog will locate you to somewhere completely different to x.x.dogs.  I know of a few mountain rescue incidents in the UK that have gone haywire due to a mispronunciation. 

Mountain Rescue not using the NATO phonetic alphabet is a bit pants imho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nom de plume said:

Do you think any of these cranks lining up for hours in London actually know the Royal family is German and they changed the name to the Windsors to sound more English. 

Didn't think so either ...

Of the 100,000s, yeah probably one or two know that. 

Or did you think you were the only holder of this super secret information?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1