Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

8 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Why? Did they employ people especially for the flag raising and lowering? They're frivolous but not that frivolous.

No, but there's better things they could be doing. 

And do you think Monday's raising won't be done on Bank Holiday rates? (No issue with the workers being paid bank holiday rates, it's just the ridiculous waste of doing it in the first place).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

And do you think Monday's raising won't be done on Bank Holiday rates? (No issue with the workers being paid bank holiday rates, it's just the ridiculous waste of doing it in the first place).

They shouldn't be doing it on Monday according to the official guidance:

Following the death of Her Majesty The Queen, all official flags, including the Union Flag, should be half-masted from as soon as possible today until 08.00 the day following The Queen’s State Funeral. Flags may be flown overnight during this period but should remain at half-mast.

DBC shouldn't have moved them today either, they went back up last Saturday for the Accession Council not the Proclamation or indeed today's Tynwald shindig (Proclamation II - This Time it's Processional).  If I was Chazza, I'd take back their City status and give it to Peel instead.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Passing Time said:

As you are clearly of the “not very intelligent” variety, I’ll explain the difference. Here in the United Kingdom we are there of our own free will. In North Korea, you are normally marched down there at the end of a pointy weapon

That's not true though is it. Crowds of the size you see in the North Korean ceremonies couldn't possible be manipulated in the way you suggest. If they were then all it would suggest is that the Korean's are more independently minded that the sheep who are queueing for hours on end in London.

The blinding similarity is that in each case the leader is appointed purely by an accident of birth. We're lucky to have had a good one for the last 70 years. It makes sense to change the nonsense before we get a bad one.

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

You're not wrong. But I would bet that those same people will be fuming when their rates bills go up 20% next year to accommodate paying for stuff like that. 

there is a hatch with a key set into the flagpole  so they can be lowered or raised from the ground , unless they haven't been doing their maintenance  and let the pulleys become seized up ? hence plan B a  hoist and 3 men 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

there is a hatch with a key set into the flagpole  so they can be lowered or raised from the ground , unless they haven't been doing their maintenance  and let the pulleys become seized up ? hence plan B a  hoist and 3 men 

Do you need a key to open said hatch? Asking for a friend.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

It will just be one of their other beers with a different badge, they have no idea how to make new recipes

And you certainly couldn’t get a new beer recipe sorted and brewed in such a short time. 
My guess is rebadged Triumph