Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

There official line to the papers is 

Loganair has announced it will ensure they have no scheduled flights during the funeral, they said: ‘This is to allow our staff the option of being able to watch the state funeral and for Loganair as a team to demonstrate our deep respect to Her Majesty.

In all honestly who the fuck will actually be watching the funeral. Frankly it’s idiotic for an airline not to fly. 

I'll be watching it as will billions of others...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I will be watching it, it is part of history.  I have very vague recollections of watching the last state funeral at my grandmother's house. 

I stood outside Colebourn's window in Victoria street and watched it with about 50 other people small 12 inch screen with I think a magnifying glass in front , not many TV's on the isle of man  then ,  but there was always someone looking in the window early evening ,when they left it on ,

• Like 1

Churchill's send off was also a grand affair with much public mourning. I remember going to watch The Bridge on the River Kwai with my ol'fella at the Picture House and before the main feature there was a rather long Pathé News programme on his funeral. We had no television in our house at the time. 

• Like 3

On 9/13/2022 at 8:53 PM, Newsdesk said:

This probably does deserve a whole extra thread as the role call of stoopids just gets higher and higher.

Back to the Island angry chocolate woman as the started for 10

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-vendor-offended-food-and-drink-festival-still-going-ahead/

Well the Festival is in full swing and really busy. Good to see people out and about supporting local businesses. Can’t see how not having it would be good in any way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Well the Festival is in full swing and really busy. Good to see people out and about supporting local businesses. Can’t see how not having it would be good in any way. 

It was rubbish compared to previous years IMO.  Unnecessarily toned down music, and as previous years the admission fee is stupid.  Who does that go to anyway?

It makes it an unviable option for linch for most people.  We went, and had a lamb burger each then left.  5 of us.  Total cost including admission nearly £75 including cans of Fanta and sprite.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It makes it an unviable option for linch for most people.  We went, and had a lamb burger each then left.  5 of us.  Total cost including admission nearly £75 including cans of Fanta and sprite.

All indicative of a booming economy.

Or all indicative of a sham economy?

20 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Yes the prices this year were a total rip off. All it’s really showcased is how much a lot of local traders are taking the piss by. You can bank on more closures in the next few months if that’s the way the market is. 

31 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

It was rubbish compared to previous years IMO.  Unnecessarily toned down music, and as previous years the admission fee is stupid.  Who does that go to anyway?

Just got back. Agreed, probably not as good as previous years. But still worth a trip down. Seemed to be less vendors but just as many producers. Some including Red Mie chilli guys were pretty much fully sold out, good on them. 

We ended for lunch up at Street Kitchen, with Samosa Chaat and Puri plus some (Indian fusion?) Crispy Prawn tacos. All excellent. 

Seems everyone was waiting for the 1/2 price meat sale at the end 🤣

I joked that the 2020 one was probably the biggest festival in the UK that year. We'd just hot out of lockdown, the weather was great and 16,000 if I recall correctly. 

Edited by The Phantom

If I were running the food festival I'd have bought thousands of aluminum mess tins, got logos on them, told all the food places that as well as selling their full meals they should do £2 samples. What's the point of going to a food place with 30 different choices and just having 1? I suggested this to the woman organising it several years ago and got short shrift.

• Like 2