Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

IOMG cancelled a Tynpotwald sitting but CM Cannan found the time for a reshuffle, talk about respect, it certainly isn’t to the GMP! 

Blimey.  Can’t do right for doing wrong can they?

Would you have preferred they all took the time off?

They have been working on things that they could do behind the scenes and waited until the mourning g period was over to make the announcement.

Whats the issue?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

They have been working on things that they could do behind the scenes and waited until the mourning g period was over to make the announcement.

Whats the issue?

The issue it’s a crap appointment of Collister

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Whats the issue?

It’s complete double standards. The Tynpotwald was extraordinary to discuss the cost of living, so it’s conveniently kicked down the road under ‘national mourning’ we can’t discuss or do anything, except tributes and attention seeking stunts like proclamations. In the meantime the time was found to do a reshuffle, keep it hush hush except to their paid friends, media etc. Staged managed beyond belief and treating the public like idiots. It’s obvious that CM Cannan and the assorted idiots haven’t got a clue how to address the issues confronting the island. I’m afraid to say, they couldn’t care, and the opportunity caused by the Queens demise, has given CM Cannan breathing space. 

Rob Callister is probably the worst Minister you could have. Hooperman is a waste of …………. and will be jettisoned or will flounce ……… like Rob Callister. Nobody has mentioned David Ashford getting Chair of Planning - it’s a sure sign that he is being rehabilitated and will be eased back into the fold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, 2112 said:

It’s complete double standards. The Tynpotwald was extraordinary to discuss the cost of living, so it’s conveniently kicked down the road under ‘national mourning’ we can’t discuss or do anything, except tributes and attention seeking stunts like proclamations. In the meantime the time was found to do a reshuffle, keep it hush hush except to their paid friends, media etc. Staged managed beyond belief and treating the public like idiots. It’s obvious that CM Cannan and the assorted idiots haven’t got a clue how to address the issues confronting the island. I’m afraid to say, they couldn’t care, and the opportunity caused by the Queens demise, has given CM Cannan breathing space. 

Rob Callister is probably the worst Minister you could have. Hooperman is a waste of …………. and will be jettisoned or will flounce ……… like Rob Callister. Nobody has mentioned David Ashford getting Chair of Planning - it’s a sure sign that he is being rehabilitated and will be eased back into the fold. 

I mentioned DA getting planning, it will play to his architectural and urban planning strengths. 

• Haha 8

I suspect we are seeing a lot of different and often ridiculous 'marks of respect' because, for pretty much the bulk of us, the Queen has been a reliable and stable constant for many, many years, of our lives. Suddenly she dies and everything changes for everyone...and it perhaps makes us all feel that little less mortal and react in many different ways.

We now have Charles - For many older people, unthinkable only less than a few decades ago that divorcees could become king, particularly when in fairly recent history we had an abdication about the very same thing.

We've lost some standards I think, maybe even a part of the British Isles feels it has lost part of its soul.

Charles and Camilla have a lot to prove, to get anywhere near what we have lost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2022 at 9:38 PM, Omobono said:

there is a hatch with a key set into the flagpole  so they can be lowered or raised from the ground , unless they haven't been doing their maintenance  and let the pulleys become seized up ? hence plan B a  hoist and 3 men 

This sounded like usual corpy bashing so I just asked during committee meeting. There are different ways to raise and lower the flags. There is a perfectly working mechanism with a key where you can hand crank it. The mechanism is now internal as apparently people used to nick flags when it was the old system where the ropes are on the outside of the pole. Apparently it takes quite a bit of time to do it that way and it's simply faster to drive along with the hoist and do it that way. And just in case someone says "but of course you'd say that", the Pride organisers put their own flags up and used the key and pulley system without issues. 

Also, the new hoist is electric, which is nice. Car is still a diesel, but at least the engine doesn't have to run anymore when the hoist is being used. 

Guardian editorial (I agree with it btw)

Royal rituals are contrived affairs meant to generate popular attachment to a privileged institution and to serve as reminders of a glorious past. Monarchy’s power rests upon a central myth; that traditions and ceremonies have remained unchanged over 1,000 years of family drama. In reality the parades and commemoration services have been invented, and reinvented, to preserve the monarchy’s relevance. However, they are also essentially ephemeral, devoid of anything more powerful than that which is sentimental and evocative. How much Britain will be changed once this moment floats past the country is as yet unknown.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

I suspect we are seeing a lot of different and often ridiculous 'marks of respect' because, for pretty much the bulk of us, the Queen has been a reliable and stable constant for many, many years, of our lives. Suddenly she dies and everything changes for everyone...and it perhaps makes us all feel that little less mortal and react in many different ways.

We now have Charles - For many older people, unthinkable only less than a few decades ago that divorcees could become king, particularly when in fairly recent history we had an abdication about the very same thing.

We've lost some standards I think, maybe even a part of the British Isles feels it has lost part of its soul.

Charles and Camilla have a lot to prove, to get anywhere near what we have lost.

Yes, it’s a terrible thing, the Church of England allowing divorcees into the Royal  Family. 

1D611C9D-A644-44DB-8B7E-5952B2C37098.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Am I the only one to remember Charles’ puerile phone calls to Camilla when he was longing to be her tampon so… well you get the point. It was in the papers in about 1994-95. I thought then he’d never live it down. Seems he has. 

• Like 2

I think the Queen was a great lady that did a great job she has my full respect not many people work until they are 96 and up to two days before their death.   The alternative to the Royal family is pretty grim imagine Cherie Blair as First Lady and Tony Liar as President.    The Royal family bring in a lot of money in Tourist wise to London.   

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

It's possible that Liz staying on as long as she did means Chas has a mighty mountain to climb and not enough years in which to do it! Not his fault but hers actually...

There is also the issue that environmentally Chas will almost certainly clash with Thick Lizzy on the issue of fracking which, despite her and the nodding donkeys supporting it, is doomed to failure. They haven't even done their sums ffs!