Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

But your grasp of global economics is flimsier than my own - this inflation and (dare I say the word) recession is absolutely NOT the fault of our government but as a result of outside forces

Largely true Stu.

However the sources of a number of the economic pressure points currently being felt by the Manx populace do lie with past (if not present) IoM Governments...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

This is starting  to sound like one of those funerals where, after a few beers,  the opportunity to celebrate and quietly reflect   on the loss of an  individual is  overtaken by one or two seizing it as their forum to loudly express their opinions.

and  that's your opinion   😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Well what, as usual you are making things up and projecting them as facts.

@Passing Time

You're talking nonsense. But then, well....

Thatcher destroyed mining community after mining community and left them to wither on the vine.

Sacrificed on the altar of political dogma.

They were all the Queen's subjects. Treated by Thatcher like they just didn't matter....

Dear me but there's a lot of right wing ignorance on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hampsterkahn said:

This is starting  to sound like one of those funerals where, after a few beers,  the opportunity to celebrate and quietly reflect   on the loss of an  individual is  overtaken by one or two seizing it as their forum to loudly express their opinions.

It’s just Neil Down the argumentative dick being the typical Neil Down the argumentative dick. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Clearly English isn't your first language, so well done for making SOME sense. But your grasp of global economics is flimsier than my own - this inflation and (dare I say the word) recession is absolutely NOT the fault of our government but as a result of outside forces - not least (IMO) this headlong rush to net zero and bugger the consequences. While we've been 'setting an example' and grandstanding to Greta et al the world has gone to hell in a handcart, Putin playing a role but the massive power of the seemingly untouchable energy companies, their bankers and commodity brokers being the biggest factors. Follow the money, this is going to cost the IOMG not make it any richer.

On the 'I hate Boris' thread they were all blaming him for the global economic meltdown.  Too many people are still thinking locally when it comes to blame and problems, when the real issues that are actually being felt are happing 1000s of miles away between parties we have absolutely zero input upon. 

10 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Centerparcs has already backed down on its monumentally stupid decision having realized that it is monumentally stupid to destroy the holidays of people who have given you thousands of pounds amd who may be having their first holidays since lockdown 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11206609/Center-Parcs-announces-CLOSE-day-Queens-funeral-turf-devastated-guests.html

I think someone sensibly waved around one of their booking contracts which states Centerparcs will provide accommodation between X & Y and they realised there was no rational way they could defend against turfing people out.

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m coming to the option that these gestures are less about virtue signalling and more about ordinary people just wanting to be ‘involved’ in some limited way  sitting at home watching it on TV just isn’t doing it for them anymore. As funny as that picture is, it’s also quite touching  

Turning off the supermarket beeps and not allowing bicycles to park in bicycle spaces and other efforts like it do not fall into this category however. 

I think it’s even simpler than that. It’s about social media management so that they don’t get a load of crazed Facebook Karen’s posting about how “disrespectful” they are if they don’t do something which generates negative PR. So then you get a load of really daft pointless actions like this to provide visibility that you’re doing something no matter how pathetic and pointless. The Centerparc’s case above is the perfect example - in order to virtue sign you’ve actually pissed off a load of people who had already given you their hard earned cash to use your services that you supplied under a formal contract for services and jeopardized any repeat sales from those people. So you’ve basically cut your own throat because none of the Karen’s are going to go “Centerparcs were so respectful over the Queens death I will definitely book a holiday there to thank them”. It’s all absolute bullshit. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

PS Jeremy Vine is just doing a piece on these ridiculous decisions. He has just broadcast that bizarrely every dry cleaners in England, Scotland & Wales will shut next Monday. And a Food Bank in Wimbledon won’t be open on Monday so the poor won’t be able to eat for the day. 

I don't really have a problem with either of them. A food bank isn't a soup kitchen - clients will just need to collect more on the days before, just like they probably do every other bank holiday. Probably the volunteers want to watch the funeral. And if you need your suit for the funeral you're just going to have to collect it the day before. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

So you’ve basically cut your own throat because none of the Karen’s are going to go “Centerparcs were so respectful over the Queens death I will definitely book a holiday there to thank them”. It’s all absolute bullshit. 

Same with Outraged Chocolate Karen.  No doubt the Food Fest would be her biggest payday/marketing event of the year. If she's dumb enough to blow that opportunity for a misguided sense of respect, then she should be left to get on with it.  Remember, you can't argue with stupid.  They'll beat you with experience. 

The irony I think is that the Queen was known as pretty pragmatic and no-nonsense.  She would have found most of this ridiculous. I bet she'd rather us be out riding horses or your own non-posh hobby on Monday.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I think someone sensibly waved around one of their booking contracts which states Centerparcs will provide accommodation between X & Y and they realised there was no rational way they could defend against turfing people out.

Some people simply said they and their families wouldn't move and even Center Parcs realised that attacking small children might not be quite the optics they were looking for.  They've still done the bare minimum though:

It said there would be no facilities available in its holiday villages on Monday and would offer a discount to customers to reflect this.

The company is still asking people who were due to arrive on Monday to delay their arrival until the following day.

All this performative closing down so that to allow "team members and customers to ‘mourn in their own way’" (that's Shoprite but they all have come out with similar guff) gives rise to a question no one seems to be answering.  Are the 'team members' being paid for this privilege?

Obviously monthly-paid management will be getting a paid holiday, but will those on flexible x-hours a week be credited for their normal shift-pattern and will those on zero-hours be given any credit for what they would have worked?  Otherwise this is just laying-off staff because the bosses think it will a quiet day in the shops.

• Like 3