Ridiculous marks of “respect”

Newsdesk

6 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Same with Outraged Chocolate Karen.  No doubt the Food Fest would be her biggest payday/marketing event of the year. If she's dumb enough to blow that opportunity for a misguided sense of respect, then she should be left to get on with it.  Remember, you can't argue with stupid.  They'll beat you with experience. 

Yes agreed I’d never heard of her business before yesterday and now I have no intention of ever using her services purely because of the publicity around her silly outburst. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Is there any thread you won’t Use to spread your relentless message PK? I doubt there can be anyone left (on earth) who is yet to be educated about your opinion. 

It's not my opinion they need educating on.

The facts of the matter is where they are sadly lacking. I am merely trying to fill the gaps in their knowledge.

Fancy you not realising that.

I seem to recall Gladys posting how dreadfully cruel the treatment meted out by Thatcher was. For once I agreed with her...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's not my opinion they need educating on.

The facts of the matter is where they are sadly lacking. I am merely trying to fill the gaps in their knowledge.

Fancy you not realising that.

I seem to recall Gladys posting how dreadfully cruel the treatment meted out by Thatcher was. For once I agreed with her...

You’re the type of person people walk out of pubs just to avoid your boring drone…

21 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

PS Jeremy Vine is just doing a piece on these ridiculous decisions. He has just broadcast that bizarrely every dry cleaners in England, Scotland & Wales will shut next Monday. And a Food Bank in Wimbledon won’t be open on Monday so the poor won’t be able to eat for the day. 

But do dry cleaners normally operate on a bank holiday anyway?  If not you would be expecting them to shut down - not least because a lot of their business is people dropping off and collecting stuff on their way to/from work.  The only people who would be using them would be journalists, which no doubt is why Vine is upset.

As for Foodbanks, again they tend to shut on bank holidays and weekends, so they're just following the normal pattern.  And course they rely almost entirely on voluntary labour, who would probably be wanting to watch the events or have other commitments. 

Also I don't think you realise how Foodbanks work.  People don't turn up on a daily basis to get fed.  They get given food for a longer period, maybe regularly, but normally to help tide them over a crisis.

There's a lot of criticism rightly addressed against businesses who would normally be open on a bank holiday, such as supermarkets, who may be being pious while using it as an excuse to pay their staff less.  But a lot of small businesses and charities are simply following their normal procedures.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But do dry cleaners normally operate on a bank holiday anyway?  If not you would be expecting them to shut down - not least because a lot of their business is people dropping off and collecting stuff on their way to/from work.  The only people who would be using them would be journalists, which no doubt is why Vine is upset.

It’s more the fact they feel they have to advertise the fact for Facebook brownie points. The whole thing is sad and pathetic and has little to do with respect at all and I think a lot of people believe that. I doubt the Queen would like the fact that her picture is flashed on an LCD screen above some half priced beans or bog roll in Sainsbury’s or Morrison’s to be honest. Or that when you’re ordering your happy meal you can pay your “respects”. It’s hardly the sort of tribute you’d want! 

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Some people simply said they and their families wouldn't move and even Center Parcs realised that attacking small children might not be quite the optics they were looking for.  They've still done the bare minimum though:

It said there would be no facilities available in its holiday villages on Monday and would offer a discount to customers to reflect this.

The company is still asking people who were due to arrive on Monday to delay their arrival until the following day.

All this performative closing down so that to allow "team members and customers to ‘mourn in their own way’" (that's Shoprite but they all have come out with similar guff) gives rise to a question no one seems to be answering.  Are the 'team members' being paid for this privilege?

Obviously monthly-paid management will be getting a paid holiday, but will those on flexible x-hours a week be credited for their normal shift-pattern and will those on zero-hours be given any credit for what they would have worked?  Otherwise this is just laying-off staff because the bosses think it will a quiet day in the shops.

Think you’re right re pay with just usual government workers, finance etc getting full pay. 

Okells staff will get paid as they’re open, probably realized how much they lost last week 

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s more the fact they feel they have to advertise the fact for Facebook brownie points. The whole thing is sad and pathetic and has little to do with respect at all and I think a lot of people believe that. I doubt the Queen would like the fact that her picture is flashed on an LCD screen above some half priced beans or bog roll in Sainsbury’s or Morrison’s to be honest. Or that when you’re ordering your happy meal you can pay your “respects”. It’s hardly the sort of tribute you’d want! 

It's how you do it I suppose.  A simple factual announcement would actually be necessary so that people know they are shut and Facebook is probably the best way for businesses to interact with customers.  But you can be respectful without being ostentatious about it.  All those photos staring out of every screen are just odd - even the Victorians (who went overboard about mourning) would have been satisfied with a black border.

(And of course Declan had made my points more succinctly before I got round to posting).

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

306923441_1021667098502904_7150360539874

I keep on having to check whether some of these postings are genuine (I actually went onto the Center Parcs website as I couldn't believe any company would be that stupid - they were).  But that appears to be from a private FB page (at least it is now) so the best reaction is probably the say "Bless" and move on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1