Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

As I implied earlier, we are paying the price for over regulation. Teachers are expected to do so much more than teach. There's something badly wrong in the minds of those who develop the working patterns for educators.

They have to endure the almost complete breakdown of classroom discipline which takes a heavy toll when you are unable to do anything about the little disruptive scrotes who ruin your lessons! 

Money is only half the story, I don't think IoMG have the nous or the balls to deal with this, we are going to get into a real mess. This is symptomatic of the knife edge our government have been walking for years, kicking the can down the road in many areas such as health and education, travel and the general viability of the island. Well, the house of cards is about to collapse, "the white elephants are coming home to roost", in the words of a great politician! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

As I implied earlier, we are paying the price for over regulation. Teachers are expected to do so much more than teach. There's something badly wrong in the minds of those who develop the working patterns for educators.

They have to endure the almost complete breakdown of classroom discipline which takes a heavy toll when you are unable to do anything about the little disruptive scrotes who ruin your lessons! 

Money is only half the story, I don't think IoMG have the nous or the balls to deal with this, we are going to get into a real mess. This is symptomatic of the knife edge our government have been walking for years, kicking the can down the road in many areas such as health and education, travel and the general viability of the island. Well, the house of cards is about to collapse, "the white elephants are coming home to roost", in the words of a great politician! 

There's a growing number of kids starting school where the parents haven't even potty trained them properly, and they're expecting the teachers to be able to cope with this as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Is it any different here to the UK?

DESC would be crucified if they didn’t basic follow everything the UK do.  They can hardly implement policies radically different to every schooL in Britain so I am unsure what you expect them to do?

We all know the teachers love a moan, so imagine if IOMG started telling them that their working practices were going to be different to GB.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Classroom assistants are not qualified to teach. They can only supervise activities. Only teachers can teach. Clue is in the job titles.

Classroom assistants do a good job though. 

I know someone who is a classroom assistant and 1-to-1 is what they do - sometimes.

I call that making the best use of available resources.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You need to update your knowledge. There are levels of support staff - some of them teach.

When parents brought children into school for a visit and asked what they could do to help them learn as quickly as possible, the reply used to be, 'make sure they can wipe their own bottom, blow their own nose and do the buttons up on their coat. I would also add, get them to school on time and support the teachers.

Teachers don't just teach any more. They are social workers, therapists, police, taxi drivers, bus drivers, role models - and so much more.  They've had enough.  I don't blame them. You can whine all you want but a crisis is coming. Stating over and over again that they're whining snowflakes is contributing to the problem and moving further away from a solution.

But do carry on...

I think you need to update your knowledge. Maybe you misunderstand me.

I am not dissing teachers. Not one bit. Quite the opposite. I am saying appointing assistants, correctly called non teaching assistants is no substitute 

33 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Maybe if they did the same with the teachers so their salary was showing an actual figure for what they work there would be less complaining?

Said in my best Alexa voice, "here's what I found on the web....." Not sure how close this is to IOM pay scales but assuming from what I've read they're close?

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jacka$$

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There's a growing number of kids starting school where the parents haven't even potty trained them properly, and they're expecting the teachers to be able to cope with this as well.

My daughter is a UK primary teacher and tells me exactly the same story and it's seems to be getting worse. And she works in an area where the parents are well and truly 'middle class' professional types.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

One got bussed to a lesson the other day at another school and when they got there the lesson was cancelled but nobody had told them.  They were sent to sit in an empty classroom for the whole morning with nothing to do.

Sounds like your little darling lacks motivation.  They could have got on with homework or gone to the library and done some studying rather than being a lazy sod.

38 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Why are ESO roles advertised with a salary which is Pro Rata when the actual teachers aren’t.

Maybe if they did the same with the teachers so their salary was showing an actual figure for what they work there would be less complaining?

41EFE613-905F-4EB7-A744-F9ABE642EDCB.jpeg

Perhaps because that job is 16.25 hours per week rather than a full time position?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Sounds like your little darling lacks motivation.  They could have got on with homework or gone to the library and done some studying rather than being a lazy sod

Lols

She had nothing with her.  They had traveled to another school to do a specific lesson.  They weren’t allowed in the library because it wasn’t their usual school and they were just dumped in a classroom.

As to motivation - more A stars at GCSE than I even sat exams and a prediction of four more at A level.  She gets it from her mother.

Regardless of the hours a position is for if the salary was published as pro rata to take into account the time off then people might realise that teachers are actually on a decent number.

Edited by Asthehills

47 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

She had nothing with her.  They had traveled to another school to do a specific lesson.  They weren’t allowed in the library because it wasn’t their usual school and they were just dumped in a classroom.

I find that very hard to believe...  she went to a class with nothing? No textbooks at all?  Leaving a group of kids in a classroom alone with no supervision also sounds unlikely.

47 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Regardless of the hours a position is for if the salary was published as pro rata to take into account the time off then people might realise that teachers are actually on a decent number.

You think they are on a decent number.  The teachers apparently don't and neither do I and others who see the true value of having good teachers.

I will try another approach.  Teachers add value to society by educating future generations.  Good teachers are worth far more than, for example, the bankers who were responsible for the sub-prime mortgages that led to the financial crash several years ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

They are called Education Support Officers. There are various levels from junior to senior officers. Some of them teach.

Doesn't really matter what they call them. They shouldn't be teaching. They should always be under the supervision of the teacher in the classroom. I hope to god that never changes. No class can go ahead without a qualified teacher present, to do so would be against the education act.