Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

Even if they can find a legal way to force teachers to carry out duties that aren't in their contracts and get the legislation through Tynwald and get the headteachers to agree to implement the system, the problem is that they will have to impose the system on all teachers, not just NASUWT members.  Thereby immediately starting up a dispute with all the other Unions and causing much more disruption than before.

Even by Cannan standards, this is immensely stupid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Give them a fair pay rise (done) and expect them to work like most other people Which is by doing extra duties reasonably expected within your role.

If they refuse, find a way of dismissing them and replacing them with newly qualified teachers who are there for the right reasons and still enthusiastic.  I would suggest the ground work for this is already done with the huge recent jump in the starting salary making the island a much more attractive place for new teachers.

I understand lots of newly qualified teachers only do a few years and then move on to other things.

The days of teaching for 40 years are over.

3 hours ago, Newbie said:

So give them a below inflation pay rise (aka pay cut in real terms), ignore their requests to discuss a multi year pay deal to try to address a decade of pay erosion, and insist that they carry out work they aren't contracted to do. If they refuse, 'find a way' to dismiss them. If their union tries to stand up for them, introduce legislation to put a stop to that. All sounds very sinister.

Managing Out people who don't toe the line. It's been tried here. if you can't change the people, then change the people. And try to employ replacements at less costs.

In my view that is one of the reasons we we now have staff shortages in the health and care services. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

I understand lots of newly qualified teachers only do a few years and then move on to other things.

The days of teaching for 40 years are over.

Sound great.  Keep the teachers fresh and up to date.  The best teachers I had were all fairly newly qualified while lots of the others were clearly trotting out the same lessons they had done for years which was verified by older siblings who had been through the same school.

41 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Sound great.  Keep the teachers fresh and up to date.  The best teachers I had were all fairly newly qualified while lots of the others were clearly trotting out the same lessons they had done for years which was verified by older siblings who had been through the same school.

Much more variable though, in my experience. The best teachers I had were quite young, but so were the worst. The older ones were consistently pretty good.

3 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

It is a shame that despite all the hot air and bluster, this vacant post has now been advertised at least three times since September.  It can only be assumed that there hasn’t been a single suitable applicant.  I wonder how many kids haven’t had a Geography teacher for the past 4 months and will be unlikely to have one until at least Easter, 200+?

84929D0C-59E3-4417-8993-BE97FC582CA4.jpeg

Mate of mine, Geography teacher, is interested but he's waiting to see how the land lies. 

Edited by quilp
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Or possible teachers take one look at the conditions of employment for the job and say fuck that, which fucking idiot thought I would sign a contract which gave my employer the rights to treat me as a slave.

I'll try the civil service.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Or possible teachers take one look at the conditions of employment for the job and say fuck that, which fucking idiot thought I would sign a contract which gave my employer the rights to treat me as a slave.

I'll try the civil service.

So can anyone tell me? Are IOM teachers expected to do a lot more than their less well paid counterparts in the UK?

Would a UK teacher attracted here by the higher salary really be surprised by the extra workload, if they were coming from say, an inner city secondary school with high levels of social services involvement, kids on probation, kids who don’t speak very good English, parents who don’t speak English at all etc etc ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So can anyone tell me? Are IOM teachers expected to do a lot more than their less well paid counterparts in the UK?

Would a UK teacher attracted here by the higher salary really be surprised by the extra workload, if they were coming from say, an inner city secondary school with high levels of social services involvement, kids on probation, kids who don’t speak very good English, parents who don’t speak English at all etc etc ?

All of the challenges you mention above are experienced in schools on the Isle of Man, to surprising levels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

All of the challenges you mention above are experienced in schools on the Isle of Man, to surprising levels.

You can’t compare Ramsey Grammar to an inner city school in say Birmingham where violence & crime is an everyday occurrence 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Come on 😂

I know those issues also exist here but are you honestly saying with a straight face that a teacher at any Manx secondary school who earns more than any teacher outside central London isn’t on a pretty decent number?

Most of our wouldn’t last a term in Liverpool, Birmingham, Oldham, Scunthorpe, Glasgow etc!!  All Of which would be for less money than they earn here 😂

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

You can’t compare Ramsey Grammar to an inner city school in say Birmingham where violence & crime is an everyday occurrence 

Valid point Banker, no problem with your claim but why hasn’t someone from violence and crime riddled Birmingham applied for a job at peaceful Ramsey then?  Higher pay, nicer kids, lovely environment, lower tax, incentives to move here, what is there not to like?  Yet still jobs remain vacant for months and months and kids are left without appropriate staff.  The wider issues are far deeper and far more problematic.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Valid point Banker, no problem with your claim but why hasn’t someone from violence and crime riddled Birmingham applied for a job at peaceful Ramsey then?  Higher pay, nicer kids, lovely environment, lower tax, incentives to move here, what is there not to like?  Yet still jobs remain vacant for months and months and kids are left without appropriate staff.  The wider issues are far deeper and far more problematic.

We need to market the positions to those people more, I believe that is part of the plan for next year.

PS - you missed a couple of questions and I wouldn’t normally bother but you did hound me for days for some, so it only seems fair.