Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

9 minutes ago, english zloty said:

I can’t see anything other than the selling price of many household goods (ie that contribute to CPI) crashing heavily in the New Year.

I'm not so sure, as the energy and transportation costs involved continue to be high and companies aren't going to sell things for a loss for long. I think it's more likely that prices will remain high, but less stuff will be sold.

14 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

The big worry currently is stagflation. In principle Truss wasn't wrong, going for growth was right in theory.

Beat me to it.

Borrowing to fund tax cuts for the rich wasn't the way to do it though. Borrowing to fund construction and other investment, to try and keep demand up, would have been better.

And failing to ensure wages grow to match prices is the fastest way of getting stagflation, especially now demand can't be carried with cheap consumer credit.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did I hear correctly on the radio today when Alf said that the teachers would not be paid next time they go on strike, for the days not worked?............

WTAF - That means we are paying/ have been paying them, when they are on strike up to now??

Since when has that been a thing?

Filed along with other "Too Hard To Do" stuff in the  IOM CS book of rules and regs?

You could not make this shit up, even if off your tits on coke or booze.

14 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

Did I hear correctly on the radio today when Alf said that the teachers would not be paid next time they go on strike, for the days not worked?............

WTAF - That means we are paying/ have been paying them, when they are on strike up to now??

Filed along with other "Too Hard To Do" stuff in the  IOM CS book of rules and regs?

No need to make anything up, he was wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Apple said:

Gas prices are coming down apparently hence the drop in inflation and we see lower prices at petrol pumps have been  happening for the last few weeks.

Good news.

Seems wierd that crude oil prices are almost back to where they were 5 years ago, but fuel is still 50% higher than it was a year ago.

This morning on the NPM, Joney Faragher Douglas East MHK Is saying that the Chief Minister should sit down with the Teachers and negotiate. Incidentally when you have politicos, especially Ministers leading negotiations the GMP and taxpayers will come off second best. As Ministers and Civil Servsnts previous IOMG administrations have previously entered into agreements both with companies and other bodies which haven’t exactly turned out favourable to the GMP taxpayers, 

Yes, very headline grabbing and attention seeking, and won’t achieve anything, but even greater bitter recriminations, with he says and she says, and claims and counter claims. If CM Cannan ever sat down with Teachers Unions can the GMP really trust him not to screw things up, or be held to ransom? It’s not the job of politicians to personally lead wage discussion, it’s a job for civil servants, and as the dispute has escalated perhaps the Manx Industrial Relations Service should be an independent arbitration sevice, acting as a go between? Agreement can be reached, political approval can be given, amended or rejected. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

This morning on the NPM, Joney Faragher Douglas East MHK Is saying that the Chief Minister should sit down with the Teachers and negotiate. Incidentally when you have politicos, especially Ministers leading negotiations the GMP and taxpayers will come off second best. As Ministers and Civil Servsnts previous IOMG administrations have previously entered into agreements both with companies and other bodies which haven’t exactly turned out favourable to the GMP taxpayers, 

Yes, very headline grabbing and attention seeking, and won’t achieve anything, but even greater bitter recriminations, with he says and she says, and claims and counter claims. If CM Cannan ever sat down with Teachers Unions can the GMP really trust him not to screw things up, or be held to ransom? It’s not the job of politicians to personally lead wage discussion, it’s a job for civil servants, and as the dispute has escalated perhaps the Manx Industrial Relations Service should be an independent arbitration sevice, acting as a go between? Agreement can be reached, political approval can be given, amended or rejected. 

She's just following the UK National Labour party and Daddy's line.

Pretty sure her understanding of Inflation is limited to what happens at kids parties when the balloons need sorting. 

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, Asthehills said:

They just didn’t notice because the new pay reward had recently kicked in, so most of their wages minus a couple of days aren’t really much different to what they were at the end of the last academic year.

I imagine they were just paid as normal. I’m not sure Government OHR would cope well with working out who should be paid less, and how much to deduct. They are unlikely to be able to do it correctly and within the month the strikes happened, anyway. 

11 minutes ago, StrangeBrew said:

I imagine they were just paid as normal. I’m not sure Government OHR would cope well with working out who should be paid less, and how much to deduct. They are unlikely to be able to do it correctly and within the month the strikes happened, anyway. 

So many of them take extra sick days, personal days etc probably didn’t notice they’re off!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

She's just following the UK National Labour party and Daddy's line.

Pretty sure her understanding of Inflation is limited to what happens at kids parties when the balloons need sorting. 

Are you mixing up Joney Faragher and Sarah Maltby?

That's be embarrassing in a post criticising someone's intelligence.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

I thought the teachers were 'working to rule' rather than striking. Surely you can't deduct their pay if they are doing their job according to their contract.

• Like 1