Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

So Geraldine has been offered the opportunity to go on Manninline and put the NASUWT side of events and given a chance to try and get more public support by making sensible points and presenting them in a way that wins people over.

In the words of Andy Wint.  “She refused. She doesn’t want to”

If I was in her position and completely believed in what I was saying and was given that chance I would bite his arm off.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So Geraldine has been offered the opportunity to go on Manninline and put the NASUWT side of events and given a chance to try and get more public support by making sensible points and presenting them in a way that wins people over.

In the words of Andy Wint.  “She refused. She doesn’t want to”

If I was in her position and completely believed in what I was saying and was given that chance I would bite his arm off.

She knows she’s on a loser. Lost any public sympathy. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

She's just following the UK National Labour party and Daddy's line.

Pretty sure her understanding of Inflation is limited to what happens at kids parties when the balloons need sorting. 

Joney is a smart woman, don't be so rude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StrangeBrew said:

They are unlikely to be able to do it correctly and within the month the strikes happened, anyway.

The deduction is a piece of piss, any payroll software does it. But yes, ant deductions are likely to be in the following month's pay, given that people are paid monthly in arrears.

I suspect Cannan was trying to claim that teachers who work to rule will not be paid. Which is, of course, complete bollocks.

And if schools fall to pieces because teachers will only do what they are paid to do, that says more about DESC than the teachers.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The deduction is a piece of piss, any payroll software does it. But yes, ant deductions are likely to be in the following month's pay, given that people are paid monthly in arrears.

I suspect Cannan was trying to claim that teachers who work to rule will not be paid. Which is, of course, complete bollocks.

And if schools fall to pieces because teachers will only do what they are paid to do, that says more about DESC than the teachers.

I don’t think you comprehend how many places would cease to be able to function if everyone only did what is in their contract.

I honestly haven’t ever had a job where it wasn’t just accepted that you took on extra responsibility and duties beyond what your contract states.  Not one.  It’s a fallacy held by those in public sector jobs that the rest of us all just do exactly what our job descriptions say.

That is simply not how the world works, no matter how much the unions (most of whom have never worked in any other industry to compare) make out it is.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t think you comprehend how many places would cease to be able to function if everyone only did what is in their contract.

I honestly haven’t ever had a job where it wasn’t just accepted that you took on extra responsibility and duties beyond what your contract states.  Not one.  It’s a fallacy held by those in public sector jobs that the rest of us all just do exactly what our job descriptions say.

That is simply not how the world works, no matter how much the unions (most of whom have never worked in any other industry to compare) make out it is.

You are right which is why when the teachers work to rule the whole thing falls to pieces.

The same would happen in many private sector companies if the workforce collectively came together and said they would only do the work they were paid for.

I think you and fat cat bosses forget that the reason Trade Unions exist is to allow workers to stand up for their rights peacefully.   The alternative is to take direct action against the "means of production" and the owners...

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You are right which is why when the teachers work to rule the whole thing falls to pieces.

The same would happen in many private sector companies if the workforce collectively came together and said they would only do the work they were paid for.

I think you and fat cat bosses forget that the reason Trade Unions exist is to allow workers to stand up for their rights peacefully.   The alternative is to take direct action against the "means of production" and the owners...

But surely most people don’t care?  I really can’t get my head around a teacher refusing to do after school activities like inter school football matches when it is and always has been such an obvious part of the role.  I couldn’t care less if it’s in their contract, it’s an expected part of the role and not doing it is having a detrimental impact on the kids .

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

But surely most people don’t care?  I really can’t get my head around a teacher refusing to do after school activities like inter school football matches when it is and always has been such an obvious part of the role.  I couldn’t care less if it’s in their contract, it’s an expected part of the role and not doing it is having a detrimental impact on the kids .

If you felt you were being paid poorly for doing your core duties at work how willing would you be to do additional non-paid work over and above your contract?

By all means continue to lie to yourself and say that as an employee you would be happy to do so but that is not the reality. 

Why do private sector businesses care so much about employee engagement if they can treat employees as you suggest and still have full cooperation and excellent performance? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

If you felt you were being paid poorly for doing your core duties at work how willing would you be to do additional non-paid work over and above your contract?

By all means continue to lie to yourself and say that as an employee you would be happy to do so but that is not the reality. 

Why do private sector businesses care so much about employee engagement if they can treat employees as you suggest and still have full cooperation and excellent performance? 

But they are NOT being paid poorly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I honestly haven’t ever had a job where it wasn’t just accepted that you took on extra responsibility and duties beyond what your contract states.

I've been in private sector jobs where the pay and benefits offered accounted for the extras, and I've been in private sector jobs where the employer has taken the absolute piss. Guess which job had more goodwill.

23 minutes ago, forestboy said:

But they are NOT being paid poorly.

Then why can't our schools recruit and retain teachers? If the pay and conditions here were so amazing and reflective of a teacher's level of training, the queue would be round the block.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I really can’t get my head around a teacher refusing to do after school activities like inter school football matches when it is and always has been such an obvious part of the role.  I couldn’t care less if it’s in their contract, it’s an expected part of the role and not doing it is having a detrimental impact on the kids .

I think you're missing the point. I'm sure every teacher accepts after school activities and other non contractual activities are a part of the role. Most of them will have done them for many years.

The work to rule is the beginning of industrial action. As almost a decade of negotiations seem to have failed to produce a satisfactory solution, the only option open to the workers is to take industrial action, they have no other way to put more pressure on the employer. The work to rule has been going on for a while now, I guess it was chosen first as the least disruptive option - it's only when this has similarly failed that they have escalated it to strike action. 

I don't believe any teacher wants kids to miss out on after school clubs etc. , anymore than they want to be standing on a picket line in the middle of winter not getting paid. The thing is it's their only way left to put pressure on their employers. I've never been a teacher and it doesn't sound as if you have either, so neither of us really know what their job entails and whether or not they are fairy compensated for it. The profession themselves obviously believe that something is not right and are using the only route open to them to express their feelings.

• Like 6