Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

28 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Then why can't our schools recruit and retain teachers? If the pay and conditions here were so amazing and reflective of a teacher's level of training, the queue would be round the block.

Multiple structural issues that have been hammered to death on here but one fundamental problem is the lack of new entrants, the current academic year for teacher training is 41% short of target for secondary.  Maybe a decade ago, the UK training providers faced budget cuts and reduced the funding to schools to take trainees on, as a result the number of on Island trainees collapsed due to the additional costs, penny wise, pound foolish.

EDIT: there appear to be c7,000 vacancies across the UK, getting people to move and stay here is exceptionally difficult.  If you take these two issues together, demand far outstrips supply.

Edited by Meoir Shee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

I couldn’t care less if it’s in their contract

Using that argument, a contract of employment is meaningless, if an employee is expected to do whatever their employer asks irrespective of whether it is in their contract. It is one thing being prepared to go above and beyond your contract, but it is entirely different if an employee has no choice in the matter. 

29 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I've been in private sector jobs where the pay and benefits offered accounted for the extras, and I've been in private sector jobs where the employer has taken the absolute piss. Guess which job had more goodwill.

Then why can't our schools recruit and retain teachers? If the pay and conditions here were so amazing and reflective of a teacher's level of training, the queue would be round the block.

Oh my Lord.

The starting salary has just gone up by a an insane amount. They are now on 36k but have only been for a month or so.

All the other salaries have also gone up, but only a month or so ago.

Therefore the argument that we can’t attract or retain teachers which the union keep using is pointless because we simply have no idea on the new pay scales.

All teaching posts were filled at the start of this school year by the way - advertised and accepted at the old rates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Multiple structural issues that have been hammered to death on here but one fundamental problem is the lack of new entrants, the current academic year for teacher training is 41% short of target for secondary.  

On island? At what is now pretty much the highest entry salary in Britain but which hasn’t been given a chance to attract new staff yet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Using that argument, a contract of employment is meaningless, if an employee is expected to do whatever their employer asks irrespective of whether it is in their contract. It is one thing being prepared to go above and beyond your contract, but it is entirely different if an employee has no choice in the matter. 

Who said whatever they ask?  Wes re talking about things that are reasonable within the role.

So, for a teacher they would be being available to supervise kids in breaks or to allow them to do after school activities.

It’s not like asking an accountant to tile the office toilets, although I have seen that happen.  It needed doing, he could do it, and he was willing to do so.

Wasn’t paid either

50 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Who said whatever they ask?  Wes re talking about things that are reasonable within the role.

So, for a teacher they would be being available to supervise kids in breaks or to allow them to do after school activities.

It’s not like asking an accountant to tile the office toilets, although I have seen that happen.  It needed doing, he could do it, and he was willing to do so.

Wasn’t paid either

You really have missed the point. Teachers have carried out work outside of their contracts for years. They are now in an industrial dispute. As a part of that dispute they are entirely within their rights to say that they will work to rule, even though they would much rather not have to. It isn't possible to suddenly decide that their contracts of employment are now meaningless. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Got that...but they're both great at spending other people's money...without realising why, or what the longer term consequences are.

In a choice between Labour funding the NHS and helping the poor vs the Tories giving billions to their mates, I know where I'd choose my money to go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

In a choice between Labour funding the NHS and helping the poor vs the Tories giving billions to their mates, I know where I'd choose my money to go.

The issue being if labour were in power we’d be in even more trouble with the TUC setting the agenda!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

The issue being if labour were in power we’d be in even more trouble with the TUC setting the agenda!!

Labour could give every member in the country represented by TUC 7 grand and still not blow the amount the Tories spent on useless PPE and a track and trace system that never materialised.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Labour could give every member in the country represented by TUC 7 grand and still not blow the amount the Tories spent on useless PPE and a track and trace system that never materialised.

Irrelevant, we all know what will happen if labour get in!! Complete chaos with Sturgeon agreeing coalition & her & TUc calling shots!

Left wing coup with Rayner PM , nuclear weapons scrapped & talks with IMF

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

Irrelevant, we all know what will happen if labour get in!! Complete chaos with Sturgeon agreeing coalition & her & TUc calling shots!

Left wing coup with Rayner PM , nuclear weapons scrapped & talks with IMF

If Labour were half as radical as Tory voters believed they'd be much more appealing as a party.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

but they're both great at spending other people's money

They're certainly not half as good as old Howie was at doing just that. Difference is, Howie just spent other people's money on himself.

As for the Tories, Sunak was flashing everyone else's cash like a divorcee in a strip club. No shortage of money for Serco (run by Johnson's Bullingdon Club pal Rupert Soames) or Michelle Mone.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1