Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Whilst I agree that it is clown planet, the highlighted sentence seems to conflict with itself

Its worth noting that when the US had them an no one else did, they used them. Now everyone seems to have them. They haven't been used since. Whilst I would rather see no one have them, they are certainly a deterrent and I can't why why an intelitent person can't see that. 

The conditions around America using them were rather unique, though. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

What? They were losing the war against the Japanese so they decided to slaughter a few hundred thousand civilians. 

They were winning the war against the Japanese, but at incredible cost both for the Americans and especially the Japanese.  In actual fact 'conventional' bombing was more deadly than the nuclear kind:

The Operation Meetinghouse firebombing of Tokyo on the night of 9 March 1945 was the single deadliest air raid of World War II, greater than Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima, or Nagasaki as single events.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

It was a World War, and the weapons had a yield of approximately 1/1000th of modern devices.

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

They were winning the war against the Japanese, but at incredible cost both for the Americans and especially the Japanese.  In actual fact 'conventional' bombing was more deadly than the nuclear kind:

The Operation Meetinghouse firebombing of Tokyo on the night of 9 March 1945 was the single deadliest air raid of World War II, greater than Dresden, Hamburg, Hiroshima, or Nagasaki as single events.

Oh. So I guess it was ok for them to do it then 🤣

I bet the Japanese were, and still are, really grateful. Lets hope Putin doesn't get the same idea.

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I bet the Japanese were, and still are, really grateful. Lets hope Putin doesn't get the same idea.

I didn't say that - just pointing out the strange paradox that way the atomic bombs shocked Japan into surrender rather than fighting to the death may have saved millions of lives.  And that we should never be complacent about 'conventional' weapons not being as deadly.

Just the sort of thing people ought to learn in school in fact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I didn't say that - just pointing out the strange paradox that way the atomic bombs shocked Japan into surrender rather than fighting to the death may have saved millions of lives.  And that we should never be complacent about 'conventional' weapons not being as deadly.

Just the sort of thing people ought to learn in school in fact.

Understood 🤙

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not suggesting it was OK, I'm suggesting it's completely incomparable to the current situation because of those factors.