Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

1 hour ago, quilp said:

He's only motivated by jealousy. Like the rest of them. 

He is only very slightly wrong.  

As I understand it, and I am happy to be corrected:

Teachers here are on London Fringe salary plus four percent.

The starting salary here is significantly higher than London Fringe as ours now start a number of steps up the pay scale, meaning a starting salary is £36k ish, making our new teachers the best paid in Britain other than Jersey where living costs are significantly higher than here.

I also spoke to a teacher today who works at Castle Rushen.  He did indead “leave”  teaching on the island a few years ago and went instead to the middle east working in a private school for expats kids.  He was paid a FORTUNE for a couple of years but ultimately has come back.

So yes teachers do leave but it’s not always because it’s awful here but sometimes simply that you can earn much more in another country.

Edited by Asthehills

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

So yes teachers do leave but it’s not always because it’s awful here but sometimes simply that you can earn much more in another country.

Several of us have already pointed out that Teachers can, and do, go elsewhere for more money so not really sure what this adds.

Sure some will come back especially if they have been teaching abroad but will probably take early retirement or switch to supply if they have been able to build up a comfortable lifestyle elsewhere. 

We need to ensure that teaching remains an attractive profession if we want to have future generations enjoy a good education. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Several of us have already pointed out that Teachers can, and do, go elsewhere for more money so not really sure what this adds.

Sure some will come back especially if they have been teaching abroad but will probably take early retirement or switch to supply if they have been able to build up a comfortable lifestyle elsewhere. 

We need to ensure that teaching remains an attractive profession if we want to have future generations enjoy a good education. 

= Milk it for all you can!

So nobody is disputing my understanding of the incredibly generous salary scales then?

London Fringe plus four percent for all, but with a higher starting point which when put together make our teachers the best laid in Britain when you look at salary and living costs?  (Yet they still want more) Anyone want to dispute that?

Don’t forget that teachers on island also have one of the cushiest numbers for working conditions.  The pupils are in general better behaved and with less issues than you would find in large parts of Britain.  The schools are in the main modern and well maintained (compared to most in Britain) and class sizes are a long way from being massive.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Not just for money but also the experience of working / teaching in modern facilities, better environments, enlightened management, better funded resources, wider subject ranges, interesting out of hours activities, young people eager to learn and understand what they are capable of and want to work to their full potential, and with families that support that approach.

Those are the teachers we need to recruit, we need to keep, and provide all of the above to keep them here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For those who were fortunate enough to have between Xmas and New Year off, how are you all looking forward to back to work tomorrow.

If this thread is to be beloved then all the teachers will either be beavering away at home or in the schools preparing for the new term.

What they fail to grasp is that even places that close between normally require people to take the days the business is closed out of their 20-25 day annual entitlement.

I really, really hope sense is seen and future strikes called off.  How about all knuckling down for a couple of years and producing some astounding exam results then coming back and asking for more cash with public support off the back of the upturn in results?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

For those who were fortunate enough to have between Xmas and New Year off, how are you all looking forward to back to work tomorrow.

If this thread is to be beloved then all the teachers will either be beavering away at home or in the schools preparing for the new term.

What they fail to grasp is that even places that close between normally require people to take the days the business is closed out of their 20-25 day annual entitlement.

I really, really hope sense is seen and future strikes called off.  How about all knuckling down for a couple of years and producing some astounding exam results then coming back and asking for more cash with public support off the back of the upturn in results?

It’s interesting that you expect teachers to produce good exam results. When I took exams at school and later university the onus was on me to achieve the result. When did it become the responsibility of the teachers? Or are they just responsible for poor results with pupils taking the credit for high achievement? 

7 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

It’s interesting that you expect teachers to produce good exam results. When I took exams at school and later university the onus was on me to achieve the result. When did it become the responsibility of the teachers? Or are they just responsible for poor results with pupils taking the credit for high achievement? 

I think it’s pretty commonly accepted that exam results are a combination of the quality of teaching and the effort and ability of the students.

As an island our kids had a lot more classroom time over COVID than their UK counterparts yet the results weren’t very good.  What does that tell us?  I don’t think you can really claim that our kids are slower or less driven than those in the UK?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Asthehills said:

As an island our kids had a lot more classroom time over COVID than their UK counterparts yet the results weren’t very good.  What does that tell us?  I don’t think you can really claim that our kids are slower or less driven than those in the UK?

I am not sure it tells us anything. The results in the UK were significantly higher during Covid than either before or after. Using that argument, you should be calling for all teaching to be done remotely. However, we all know that it was largely down to they way the results were calculated and the widespread complaints about the algorithm initially used in the UK during Covid to assess results, which was then abandoned. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I am not sure it tells us anything. The results in the UK were significantly higher during Covid than either before or after. Using that argument, you should be calling for all teaching to be done remotely. However, we all know that it was largely down to they way the results were calculated and the widespread complaints about the algorithm initially used in the UK during Covid to assess results, which was then abandoned. 

The exam results in 2022 ie post Covid were much better across Uk & Channel Islands than Iom results so it shows that certain teachers aren’t doing their jobs properly 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, manxman34 said:

It’s interesting that you expect teachers to produce good exam results. When I took exams at school and later university the onus was on me to achieve the result. 

If only DBC were as effective at recycling as Banker and Asthehills. Four months and hundreds and hundreds of posts just to underline they think they’re lazy, over paid and have too much holidays. That’s all it is. 

Just now, Steady Eddie said:

If only DBC were as effective at recycling as Banker and Asthehills. Four months and hundreds and hundreds of posts just to underline they think they’re lazy, over paid and have too much holidays. That’s all it is. 

Why don’t you fuck off troll, back to being a failed councilman!!

• Haha 2