Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

59 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

If only DBC were as effective at recycling as Banker and Asthehills. Four months and hundreds and hundreds of posts just to underline they think they’re lazy, over paid and have too much holidays. That’s all it is. 

So just to clear this up.  My stance is that the latest pay offer which they are now being paid  is more than fair in the current climate, when you take into account their other perks and benefits.

My issue is with the threat of further strike action which will further impact on kids education when they haven’t even given the new wages time to have an impact on things like recruitment and when their further demands are clearly unreasonable at this time.

Accept what you are now being paid, see how things pan out over the next 18 to 24 months both economically and in terms of recruitment and retention, THEN come back and look for more of you still feel the situation needs to be addressed.

I honestly think that Geraldine and her cronies are using the island as a test bed for the rest of GB just to see how far they can push thinks and what sort of precedent they can set.  Government need to hold the line of telling them enough is enough and to jog on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

The exam results in 2022 ie post Covid were much better across Uk & Channel Islands than Iom results so it shows that certain teachers aren’t doing their jobs properly 

Quite apart from the fact that I was responding to a comment about classroom time during Covid, not after Covid, the UK use a different data set to the Isle of Man when publishing their exam results so your comparison is invalid.

C- Make sure you read the question properly.

33 minutes ago, Newbie said:

Quite apart from the fact that I was responding to a comment about classroom time during Covid, not after Covid, the UK use a different data set to the Isle of Man when publishing their exam results so your comparison is invalid.

C- Make sure you read the question properly.

So everyone uses different data to IOM , very convenient for hiding the truth 

36 minutes ago, Banker said:

Particularly in favour of IoMG in many subjects over the years...

1 hour ago, Banker said:

If a pupil isn’t in school e.g. behaviour or other difficulties, they still get counted in their local school’s results, presumably as fails across the board. In England they will have already been off rolled to a special school, so not counted in the local comp’s results. We have no special schools here so that can’t happen. It makes the IOM’s average results look worse. 

• Haha 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, Asthehills said:

My stance is that the latest pay offer which they are now being paid  is more than fair in the current climate, when you take into account their other perks and benefits.

Yet, overall, the UK- who set our pay scales- have seen more people leave the profession than join it. They've missed postgraduate recruitment targets by as much as 80% in some subjects.

I wonder why you think that is if the pay and benefits package is so amazingly wonderful and commensurate with the responsibility of the job.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Yet, overall, the UK- who set our pay scales- have seen more people leave the profession than join it. They've missed postgraduate recruitment targets by as much as 80% in some subjects.

I wonder why you think that is if the pay and benefits package is so amazingly wonderful and commensurate with the responsibility of the job.

If the Uk set our pay scales why is the starting pay for new teachers here substantially more than UK?

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

If the Uk set our pay scales why is the starting pay for new teachers here substantially more than UK?

The IOM have chosen to place new entrants on a higher starting spine point than they would be on in the UK. This also means they'll hit the top of the scale sooner.

But the pay scale itself is set by the UK.

It's worth noting that the teachers striking are more experienced teachers who will, by and large, be towards the top of the relevant pay scale. For them, bumping new entrants up a spine point or two makes no difference, it's the uplift that matters.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

New teachers leave for a variety of reasons and I would hazard a guess and suggest that pupil behaviour, or lack of, would feature high on their reasons for leaving. It's not just down to compensation.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

New teachers leave for a variety of reasons and I would hazard a guess and suggest that pupil behaviour, or lack of, would feature high on their reasons for leaving. It's not just down to compensation.

I'm specifically interested in why Asthehills and Banker think teachers are leaving the profession in record numbers. After all, in their opinion it's a cushy job and teachers are paid too much.

I note both have chosen to use the laughing response on my latest post, rather than actually answering the question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I'm specifically interested in why Asthehills and Banker think teachers are leaving the profession in record numbers. After all, in their opinion it's a cushy job and teachers are paid too much.

I note both have chosen to use the laughing response on my latest post, rather than actually answering the question.

Just stop feeding them, they thrive on their irrational positions, one of them has actively stated they would halve direct teacher cost per pupil (see page 79), when challenged on whether that would be a halving of teacher pay or doubling of class sizes they went missing, that is their tactic, just ignore them.

Edited by Meoir Shee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1