Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Sorry but you are living in fairy land if you think the only thing preventing driverless trains is the Unions.

It has been pointed out many times that the UK rail infrastructure would require a huge investment in order to allow the safe operation of driverless trains.  I am not aware of anyone willing to make that investment at this stage.  

I didn't mention driverless trains, you did, and I wasn't really thinking about that. Conductor/guardless trains perhaps. the technology is there to be rolled out. 

It is, however, a useful way to portray Train Drivers as greedy, selfish and blocking progress.

Those are public services which we all pay for in tax.  If you believe they should be privatised then you don't believe that they should be public services and available to all.

I didn't say that, you did, I don't believe that they should be privatised but I do believe that they should be run efficiently.

You are generalising.  There are private sector employers who have excellent terms and conditions.

There are plenty of people working in Construction trades whose whole terms and conditions are governed by Trade Union Agreements and the TU's will fight tooth and nail for them when needed.

Private sector pay disputes also tend not to make national news because they don't impact everyone.  

There are plenty of Private sector businesses where terms and conditions are poor and people are trying to Unionise.   See Amazon Warehouses as an example.

There are others where workers are simply exploited but have very limited rights because people felt they didn't need a Trade Union.  I would point to most people working zero hour contracts for the likes of Amazon, Delivered, etc etc.

That's what I said, so we agree?

Edited by Max Power

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

30% is 30%

Your right 30% is 30%, and it is the real terms pay erosion since 2010. However, it isn't what they asked for. They asked for discussions about a multi-year pay deal to start to address the pay erosion. Can you really not see the difference? Even if they had asked for it (which they didn't), do you believe that 30% over several years is the same as 30% rise given in one year?

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Interesting that Roach who has been spouting off here about IOMG pay, poor teacher etc can’t get anymore than 42% of his Uk members to vote for strike action !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64238689

It's the overall turnout that's 42%, but 90% of those that voted were in favour of strike action.  I wonder if there's a sort of paradox here - that people think everyone is in favour, so they don't bother voting because they assume things will go through anyway.

Either that or their records are woefully out of date.  Or people voted by post and the ballots are stuck in piles of undelivered mail with all the Christmas cards.

9 hours ago, Banker said:

Interesting that Roach who has been spouting off here about IOMG pay, poor teacher etc can’t get anymore than 42% of his Uk members to vote for strike action !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64238689

still no details of IOM Ballot so must have been similar low turnout 

If only you had waited a few hours ……

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-64265029

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64282976

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

But that’s nothing to do with Roach & his union unless you don’t know the difference!!

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/neu-teachers-in-england-schools-vote-to-strike/

Also the Head teachers union ballot failed  as did the support staff one & even the NEU teachers only just scraped over the minimum numbers for ballot so hardly massive backing although the union statement says overwhelmingly support 😂

Edited by Banker
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

But that’s nothing to do with Roach & his union unless you don’t know the difference!!

Also the Head teachers union ballot failed & even the NEU only just scraped over the minimum numbers for ballot so hardly massive backing 😂

It has everything to do with Roach and his union, NASUWT members in Scotland are on strike, unless you don’t know the difference between England and Scotland?

The Headteachers ballot did fail to meet the threshold at 42% turnout in England but it was the first time in 125 years they had balloted for such action.  NAHT in Wales did meet the threshold and will take action.  

Just to clarify for you, teachers are planning to take industrial action in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.  Keep pushing your lack of member support narrative, it is quite amusing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

It has everything to do with Roach and his union, NASUWT members in Scotland are on strike, unless you don’t know the difference between England and Scotland?

The Headteachers ballot did fail to meet the threshold at 42% turnout in England but it was the first time in 125 years they had balloted for such action.  NAHT in Wales did meet the threshold and will take action.  

Just to clarify for you, teachers are planning to take industrial action in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.  Keep pushing your lack of member support narrative, it is quite amusing.

A minority of members are in favour of strike action which is different to the majority of those actually bothered to vote!! That’s a fact, maths not you’re strong point 😂

keep pushing the massive support narrative, particularly in IOM where we still await ballots numbers, it’s very amusing 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

A minority of members are in favour of strike action which is different to the majority of those actually bothered to vote!! That’s a fact, maths not you’re strong point 😂

keep pushing the massive support narrative, particularly in IOM where we still await ballots numbers, it’s very amusing 😀

No, you are creating your own narrative yet again, you have stated “a minority of members are in favour of strike action”, you have no idea whether that statement is accurate.  I will remind you that 52% of votes cast were to leave the EU,  but turnout was 72%, so c37% of the potential electorate voted to leave.  Using your logic, the UK would still be a member.  You have also stated that I am pushing a “massive support narrative”, another inaccurate statement, I have never stated that.  I am, however, aware of the correct usage of your and you’re.  Finally, a Banker criticising Maths skills, the irony.  Any idea when the taxpayer will get their c£23bn back?  Get back under your bridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

But the fact that a majority didn't bother to vote at all is interesting, isn't it?  If they were that opposed to striking presumably they would have returned their ballots to reject the strike.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 1/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, Banker said:

We don't know what the non-voters think, because they didn't express an opinion. They didn't vote for a strike but, equally, they didn't vote against a strike.

The Conservatives, who bleat on about this the most, won 42% of votes on a 67% turnout. Mysteriously this does somehow give them a mandate.

• Like 3