Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

5 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Because they don't want to do it anymore (and nobody can make them).

This is not a new problem. 

I guess people do get to the point when they have had enough and get tired of waiting. 

Maybe now it is a lack trust the Department are seriously looking into it. 

Maybe Sir Jonathan Michaels needs to come back and take a look at another arms length management system........

On 9/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Roxanne said:

all covered by teachers out of hours

A bit like GPs (before the Bliar/Brown capitulation) used to do home visits and weekend surgeries (because that was an accepted part and parcel of the job), extra curricular activities were accepted by teachers as an (unpaid) adjunct to the job, anticipated by the teacher and expected by the school.

• Like 1

Just now, Utah 01 said:

A bit like GPs (before the Bliar/Brown capitulation) used to do home visits and weekend surgeries (because that was an accepted part and parcel of the job), extra curricular activities were accepted by teachers as an (unpaid) adjunct to the job, anticipated by the teacher and expected by the school.

I think the wider Joe public need reminding of how things are defined when it comes to labour.

Paid labour is called having a job, being employed, earning a living, etc.

Voluntary unpaid labour is called volunteering.

Forced labour either paid or unpaid is called slavery.

Teachers are simply removing their voluntary services.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

I think the wider Joe public need reminding of how things are defined when it comes to labour.

Paid labour is called having a job, being employed, earning a living, etc.

Voluntary unpaid labour is called volunteering.

Forced labour either paid or unpaid is called slavery.

Teachers are simply removing their voluntary services.

They’ve taken the words of Twisted Sister to heart and are announcing that they’re not gonna take it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

The whole point of public servants is that they are there to serve the public.  I am surprised at your views on this given your attitude towards the Conservative Party normally.

Sometimes I find some have forgotten who is actually paying their wages, their massive lump sums on retirement and very generous pensions.

The public sector do a very difficult job administering the running of society.  Sure you can argue that parts could be privatised or part-privatised but that has hardly worked well when it comes to health services (see the USA), or the water industry, or the rail industry and it is even questionable in the energy industry.  

I agree that Thatcher's privatisations have mostly been costly failures. The sewage discharges being a very good case in point.

However I would not agree that the public sector do a very difficult job. Public Servants 9-5, hour for lunch pretty much (in my experience) always taken, many more days lost to sickness than the private sector, moving up pay scales just by keeping your nose clean (aka doing the bare minimum), no bottom-line stresses, very little threat of redundancy as economic ups and downs leave them pretty much unaffected etc etc. I won't bother explaining how different that is from the private sector who are the folks generating the revenue to pay for these worthies.

Education is probably one example where privatisation does work and delivers high standards but giving a child a private school education is unobtainable.  The teachers in these schools also earn considerably more than their public sector counterparts. 

Their "Charitable Status" certainly helps here...

Certain parts of the Private sector do very well and could easily afford to contribute more.  As has been referenced in this thread the UK Government is removing the cap on Bankers bonuses (currently set at 200% of salary).  Could you imagine being in a role where your bonus could exceed 200% of your salary?  Imagine how much money that business is generating and placing in the hands of a minority of people whilst there are other members of society having to go without food and heating just to try and survive financially.

Why is it then that Thick Lizzy is going to remove the cap on banker's bonuses, lower corporation tax and let the energy companies keep their obscene profits from sticking it to their customers...?

7 minutes ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Some kids are on day 2 of home learning in which the quality of work is not good.

so far government have said they are disappointed.  But what are they actually doing it feels like they are hiding and not saying anything.

why are they not moving heaven and earth to get this sorted instead of sitting silently?

Well if you give into blackmail from one group what about nurses, firefighters, etc etc & how would the massive extra costs be paid?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Well if you give into blackmail from one group what about nurses, firefighters, etc etc & how would the massive extra costs be paid?

If they went out on strike properly as opposed to work to rule etc, then the GMP and Taxpayers will be up in arms, but sadly knowing IOMG and previous Chief Ministers they will give in to their demands. Our politicos have no backbone or stomach, to solve issues of their own making.

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

So nurses and firefighters shouldn’t be suitably paid either?

On the contrary but sadly IOMG have badly mismanaged the economy, and now the cupboard is bare. If they hadn’t wasted money expanding the civil service, empire building, navel gazing, dick waving, grandstanding and needless and badly thought out and managed capital infrastructure projects then maybe there may be something to play with.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Roxanne said:

And not just that. After school clubs, weekend sports, the Guild, bus duty before and after school, concerts, plays, music events, church services etc., all covered by teachers out of hours. 

My now 96 year old mother-in law after retiring as a "dinner lady" (they're not called these days are they?!) at Onchan primary volunteered for morning playground supervision duty and did that for about 5 years (I think). Does that still happen these days? I'm sure that DBS checks would have to be carried out but wouldn't it make sense for schools to have a backup plan for eventualities such as this?