Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Contracted 37.5

this week has been before 7 am until after 6pm every day, most days with no lunch break and a sandwich on the go.

This morning there was a work call at 5:30 before I went in.

Most evenings there are emails and work done at home.

I do a few hours at home most Sunday morning and am on the end of the phone all day Saturday because the business is open although I try not to be there.

Not sure exactly what my hours have to do with it though.

What a sad life...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I think you would be surprised how many do the same.

They don't though, as the statistics I've provided you show. Still, your employer must be delighted at all the extra unpaid work you did to fatten their bank balance in your naivety.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Contracted 37.5

this week has been before 7 am until after 6pm every day, most days with no lunch break and a sandwich on the go.

This morning there was a work call at 5:30 before I went in.

Most evenings there are emails and work done at home.

I do a few hours at home most Sunday morning and am on the end of the phone all day Saturday because the business is open although I try not to be there.

Not sure exactly what my hours have to do with it though.

And yet, the people I know who started on salaries like that were heavily discouraged when they tried to work beyond contracted hours at multinational firms. In one case, the manager was quite surprised that they would try. 

Some industries are well known for overworking their employees, doesn’t make it right. Some cultures see working until you fall asleep at your desk as a sign of dedication. Would you agree with that view?

Of course, if someone can’t get their work done reliably within their contracted hours, and instead rely on adding significant hours to it, you have to wonder if they’re working efficiently or effectively.

Who can reliably get good results out of an employee that is overtired or overworked?

16 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

And yet, the people I know who started on salaries like that were heavily discouraged when they tried to work beyond contracted hours at multinational firms. In one case, the manager was quite surprised that they would try. 

Some industries are well known for overworking their employees, doesn’t make it right. Some cultures see working until you fall asleep at your desk as a sign of dedication. Would you agree with that view?

Of course, if someone can’t get their work done reliably within their contracted hours, and instead rely on adding significant hours to it, you have to wonder if they’re working efficiently or effectively.

Who can reliably get good results out of an employee that is overtired or overworked?

I suspect it varies from company to company.

I worked in a US multinational and the "company culture" was very like the US. It's not widely known but in the US workers are not legally entitled to paid holiday. Although two weeks is the norm. That's right - just two weeks. I wonder what their teachers get?

Where it showed was in start times. You would drag your arse home at midnight having bust them working somewhere inaccessible and yet you were expected to be at your desk 8:00 to 8:30am. You might then find you're earmarked for a conference call with the West Coast starting at 17:30. And you go.

Generously rewarding good outcomes makes this worthwhile...

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Where did you get 46k for the current median from? Doesn't seem to tally with this: https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/teachers-take-home-pay-232641

Read the article, that is 'how much they take home, after the deduction of National Insurance, income tax and superannuation'. Presumably to down play the amounts as I've never seen any other salary data presented this way.

If you back calculate based on 2020 allowances, the median of £32.5k comes to around £46k gross (edit: for a typical person's tax code).

Edited by Mercenary
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Read the article, that is 'how much they take home, after the deduction of National Insurance, income tax and superannuation'. Presumably to down play the amounts as I've never seen any other salary data presented this way.

If you back calculate based on 2020 allowances, the median of £32.5k comes to around £46k gross (edit: for a typical person's tax code).

I don't see where the median of 32.5 after deductions is either?

Just now, Mercenary said:

There is enough information on there. If you are currently studying maths at Ballakermeen I don't blame you however 

Only if you're happy to assume that for each of the ranges the average salary is slap bang in the middle. The calculation could be quite wrong if they're not. You'd also have to make complete guesses on the average under 20k and over 75k salaries.

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

What do you make it then? 

Let us know and don’t forget to show your workings. Then we can work out what that is as an actual salary.

Then we can pro rata it based on actual days worked

Not enough information to make an accurate guess. Indeed seems to think 32k is the average (before tax) teacher salary on the Island. That's closer to what I would've thought from the small sample size of my friends who are teachers. Adzuna has it at just under 30k. 

47 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I suspect it varies from company to company.

I worked in a US multinational and the "company culture" was very like the US. It's not widely known but in the US workers are not legally entitled to paid holiday. Although two weeks is the norm. That's right - just two weeks. I wonder what their teachers get?

Where it showed was in start times. You would drag your arse home at midnight having bust them working somewhere inaccessible and yet you were expected to be at your desk 8:00 to 8:30am. You might then find you're earmarked for a conference call with the West Coast starting at 17:30. And you go.

Generously rewarding good outcomes makes this worthwhile...

Just because the US makes two weeks the norm, does that have any bearing on what we do several thousand miles away?

In your example, you cite generous rewards making the poor conditions worthwhile. Is that, at its simplest, not what the teachers are also striving for?

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Not enough information to make an accurate guess. Indeed seems to think 32k is the average (before tax) teacher salary on the Island. That's closer to what I would've thought from the small sample size of my friends who are teachers. Adzuna has it at just under 30k. 

The article from two years ago very clearly shows that to be wrong without even having to do any maths.  By quite a long way

Are your friends all very young teachers?

Just now, Asthehills said:

The article from two years ago very clearly shows that to be wrong without even having to do any maths.  By quite a long way

Are your friends all very young teachers?

The article does show that of 614 full-time teachers, almost 500 are on under 35k takehome. If I've added the numbers correctly. Which I might not have done, Thursday is the new Friday and all that.

Nope, mostly 30y/o+ with 5-10y experience. The ones that haven't quit to do something else anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The article does show that of 614 full-time teachers, almost 500 are on under 35k takehome. If I've added the numbers correctly. Which I might not have done, Thursday is the new Friday and all that.

Nope, mostly 30y/o+ with 5-10y experience. The ones that haven't quit to do something else anyway.

It also shows that only about a hundred are on an actual salary of less than 30k