Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Kwasi Kwarteng proposing to remove the cap on banker's bonuses now apparently, will there be grumbling about that from the bankers? 😉

A cap that is currently ‘limited’ to 200% of salary.  Interesting how below inflation pay rises are described as inflationary but 200%+ bonuses are not.  I blame the teachers.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Banker said:

You mean their job!

Hi Banker, has any teacher said they won’t do their job?

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/teaching-union-to-escalate-action-short-of-strike/

Teachers will still continue to prepare for their timetabled lessons, teach and mark and assess pupils’ work.”

You seem to be making things up.  Again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

If the island wants to attract an additional 15 000 professional people to the Island then they are going to have to pay an attractive salary for teachers. The shortages at present are being glossed over - with additional children in the thousands arriving - the salaries are going to have to be commensurate to attract more qualified staff from across the water. we just haven't got enough right now.

The 15000 will never be achieved 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It never has been.  it has always relied on the goodwill of teachers to work outwith their designated hours in order to protect children.

My role doesn’t involve protecting children directly, but if I and all my colleagues “worked to rule” then the business would no longer be able to operate.  For example my contracted hours are 37.5 a week with no flexitime or overtime.

This morning I was at my desk at 07:30 and I left at 18:15z. That’s a pretty standard day and I will do an hour or more of emails later this evening.

my jobs role is pretty specific.  It doesn’t involve handling phone calls from customers or taking company waste to the tip in a van. Both of which I did today because it needed doing.

I had a sandwich at my desk at lunchtime and a few cereal bars morning and afternoon.  Other than toilet breaks and time in the car or van travelling between locations I have worked all day.

If everybody suddenly started to work to rule then the place would quickly grind to a halt.

I am sick of their whining in the current climate.  They are far better off than plenty of others and if they don’t like it should just leave.  Only in government do people seem to think they are entitled to more money each year for doing exactly the same job as they did the year before.

• Like 4

If the island wants to attract an additional 15 000 professional people to the Island then they are going to have to pay an attractive salary for teachers. The shortages at present are being glossed over - with additional children in the thousands arriving - the salaries are going to have to be commensurate to attract more qualified staff from across the water. we just haven't got enough right now.

I thought they were being paid the London rate already, or at least that was what was proposed?

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

My role doesn’t involve protecting children directly, but if I and all my colleagues “worked to rule” then the business would no longer be able to operate.  For example my contracted hours are 37.5 a week with no flexitime or overtime.

This morning I was at my desk at 07:30 and I left at 18:15z. That’s a pretty standard day and I will do an hour or more of emails later this evening.

my jobs role is pretty specific.  It doesn’t involve handling phone calls from customers or taking company waste to the tip in a van. Both of which I did today because it needed doing.

I had a sandwich at my desk at lunchtime and a few cereal bars morning and afternoon.  Other than toilet breaks and time in the car or van travelling between locations I have worked all day.

If everybody suddenly started to work to rule then the place would quickly grind to a halt.

I am sick of their whining in the current climate.  They are far better off than plenty of others and if they don’t like it should just leave.  Only in government do people seem to think they are entitled to more money each year for doing exactly the same job as they did the year before.

So you're taking out your inability to effectively negotiate your pay and conditions on others?

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

They are leaving, aren't they - hence the staff shortages.

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

So you're taking out your inability to effectively negotiate your pay and conditions on others?

Nope.  I am stating what happens in the real world.

People go above and beyond in the workplace to do what is required to get the right end result.

I would have thought that was even more the case in what many often declare to be a vocation.

How a teacher can watch kids losing out because they are expected to do extra hours or take on extra duties when every job I have ever had required exactly that is mind boggling.

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

People go above and beyond in the workplace to do what is required to get the right end result.

I would have thought that was even more the case in what many often declare to be a vocation.

How a teacher can watch kids losing out because they are expected to do extra hours or take on extra duties when every job I have ever had required exactly that is mind boggling.

Your employer saw you coming. If you do extra work for no pay all you're doing is letting them know you'll take unpaid work. Unless of course you feel you're appropriately recompensed for that work longer term.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Most jobs pay overtime. If you're not getting overtime then you need a new job. All you're doing by working over and above your normal workload for free is making someone else richer. Why you would do that is truly mind boggling.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

If the island wants to attract an additional 15 000 professional people to the Island then they are going to have to pay an attractive salary for teachers. 

The Island has got absolutely no chance of attracting an extra 15,000 people. Even Alf’s economic strategy can’t say who these people are and why they will come. It simply says they want 15,000 people to come here for unspecified reasons.