Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

14 hours ago, HeliX said:

The text suggests it's all negotiable based on the other things like conditions etc. The text also seems to suggest the Govt isn't coming to the table.

I don't think they could make this issue anymore complicated, Surely it is not difficult just to put in layman's terms exactly what they are asking for. 

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Whilst I can see your point and i know that the private sector has been badly hit as a result of Covid don't forget that it was money from the Government that enabled many private sector businesses to survive the pandemic. 

This response always annoys me. They did that only because if they hadn’t have done it then they would not have been able to enforce their stupid covid lockdowns as there would have been riots in the streets and a complete meltdown in global capital markets. Not only would they have had to staff pandemic hospital wards they would also have had to have troops on the streets quelling civil unrest and looting by people who had no money and who were losing their homes. They only paid compensation as they had to in order to fulfill their own political lockdown end game. So the argument about private sector compensation is nonsense. It was only paid because government actively shut down whole economies and millions of peoples businesses and jobs. And public money is all taxpayer derived anyway. 

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

They only paid compensation as they had to in order to fulfill their own political lockdown end game.

What end game did the Isle of Man Government have in enforcing a lockdown which by any measure wasn't as long or as hard as those seen in the UK.  You sound like a conspiracy nut.

40 minutes ago, finlo said:

= Taxpayers cash.

Yes, but as a society we all agree to pay for public services a which includes paying for things that we personally may not benefit from or hope that we won't need.

49 minutes ago, P.K. said:

"It was money from the Government" - oh really...? It's like The Daily Mail trumpeting how Rishi Sunak did a "fantastic" job giving out all this money to keep businesses afloat etc etc when there's actually no such thing as Bank of Government. He borrowed £billions which will have to be paid back. By everyone. But do we all get shares in these companies that we have saved/funded? Errrr that'll be a no then...

It was money from the public purse but I agree that is coming from Government borrowing which every tax payer will end up paying back.

UK tax payer's did get shares in RBS when they were bailed out after the banking crisis (which was caused by Private Sector businesses).  I suspect that the value of those shares will not be truly realised though.

The alternative to all this was to let private sector businesses go under and to pick up the pieces through unemployment benefits.  Which would you have preferred? 

What you need to understand is we are all part of society and we need to work together for a better life for everyone not just for the few.

I personally know that Private Sector employers can be unscrupulous and there is a Westminster Government now that would like to completely wipe out the Trade Unions and employee rights.  Is that a society you all want to live in? 

• Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

What end game did the Isle of Man Government have in enforcing a lockdown which by any measure wasn't as long or as hard as those seen in the UK.  You sound like a conspiracy nut.

Nice try at deflection. The IOM Court system put over 70 people in prison. Largely for doing next to nothing. If people had not been compensated we would have seen an uncontrollable situation where burglary, looting and other forms of civil unrest would have happened as people had no jobs and no money. That is why compensation was given as lockdown (here or anywhere else) would basically have been unachievable without buying people off as the police would not have had the manpower to deal with things if it had all kicked off. It was a politically driven decision to deliver a lockdown strategy. It’s all our taxpayer money anyway that people got back. I find it very odd that for almost the first time ever over covid taxpayers actually got taxpayer handouts and it seems to have sent many parts of the public sector off in a rage about whose money it really is! 

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

I don't think they could make this issue anymore complicated, Surely it is not difficult just to put in layman's terms exactly what they are asking for. 

I don't think they're looking for one fixed thing though. It'll be a balance of things judging by that release. i.e. if the conditions don't improve they'll need more extra money than if they do.

@Newsdesk

Burglary would have been challenging with everyone supposedly at home! 

70 people out of over 80,000 people isn't bad and probably not much worse than an average month.

People would have been given support one way or another whether in the form of support for businesses or in unemployment benefits.  I suggest if you want to discuss this further go to the Covid deniers and anti valuers thread.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Burglary would have been challenging with everyone supposedly at home! 

70 people out of over 80,000 people isn't bad and probably not much worse than an average month.

People would have been given support one way or another whether in the form of support for businesses or in unemployment benefits.  I suggest if you want to discuss this further go to the Covid deniers and anti valuers thread.

You don’t seem to like having your view challenged at all. You can’t say someone pointing out what’s fairly obvious about lockdown politics and population control is anywhere near covid denial. 

Edited by BriT
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

This response always annoys me. They did that only because if they hadn’t have done it then they would not have been able to enforce their stupid covid lockdowns as there would have been riots in the streets and a complete meltdown in global capital markets. Not only would they have had to staff pandemic hospital wards they would also have had to have troops on the streets quelling civil unrest and looting by people who had no money and who were losing their homes. They only paid compensation as they had to in order to fulfill their own political lockdown end game. So the argument about private sector compensation is nonsense. It was only paid because government actively shut down whole economies and millions of peoples businesses and jobs. And public money is all taxpayer derived anyway. 

We saw this sort of statement from some people on Manx Forums on numerous occasions during the pandemic.  If a government didn't immediately do exactly what the writer wanted, then there would be immediate rioting.   The government usually didn't, and yet the streets remained amazingly free of blood.  Making this sort of claim retrospectively is even more implausible.

But yes, of course, if the Isle of Man Government hadn't operated  support schemes there would have been "a complete meltdown in global capital markets".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Where are you finding your figure of 70 in prison? I'm struggling to find much data on it.

It was in an IOM Newspaper article quoting Ian Kermode the lawyer who was challenging a lot of the sentences on behalf of those jailed about 6 months ago. The figure was 75 I believe.

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But yes, of course, if the Isle of Man Government hadn't operated  support schemes there would have been "a complete meltdown in global capital markets".

If they hadn’t provided financial support it would have been absolute chaos as many peoples lives would have gone into free fall. It would have been very difficult to police on top of the medical response. As they did provide financial support then we will never know what might have happened if they hadn’t. But realistically groups of people would not have taken being unemployed and destitute very well at all.

Edited by Newsdesk