Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

Just now, Asthehills said:

So wrong.

I earn more than any teacher in the island.  I work as much as I want to.  If I didn’t enjoy my job I could trim my hours right back, or get another job somewhere else.

I am two weeks away from collecting my latest fully expenses company vehicle which if I had to buy it would cost around 3 years if an average teachers salary.

Why would I be jealous?  I just resent their whining and innocent kids missing out because their incessant moaning and foot stamping.

Fair play, Alf.

3 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

You just think it’s pointless as you aren’t getting your own way 😉 Just like it must be irking a lot of teachers that the public aren’t generally backing them either. You just got one pay increase and now you’re after another. That’s the long and short of it. 

There aren't many topics where I'm not on the opposite side to the general forum sentiment, I have no difficulties with that. But I do get sick of replying to the same handful of demonstrably false points over and over again. "Teachers get x number of days off" despite evidence to the contrary, "teachers do bla bla hours per week" despite evidence to the contrary, "the private sector is full of people doing 40-60h a week" despite evidence to the contrary. It's like groundhog day without any of the entertaining bits.

• Like 1

Just now, HeliX said:

There aren't many topics where I'm not on the opposite side to the general forum sentiment, I have no difficulties with that. But I do get sick of replying to the same handful of demonstrably false points over and over again. "Teachers get x number of days off" despite evidence to the contrary, "teachers do bla bla hours per week" despite evidence to the contrary, "the private sector is full of people doing 40-60h a week" despite evidence to the contrary. It's like groundhog day without any of the entertaining bits.

How many days off does a teacher get then, because I honestly can’t think of any other full time job with as many apart from guys who work away from home on oil fields or in the military 

9 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So wrong.

I earn more than any teacher in the island.  I work as much as I want to.  If I didn’t enjoy my job I could trim my hours right back, or get another job somewhere else.

I am two weeks away from collecting my latest fully expenses company vehicle which if I had to buy it would cost around 3 years if an average teachers salary.

Why would I be jealous?  I just resent their whining and innocent kids missing out because their incessant moaning and foot stamping.

And yet you're spending double digit hours a week whinging about teachers on ManxForums 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

How many days off does a teacher get then, because I honestly can’t think of any other full time job with as many apart from guys who work away from home on oil fields or in the military 

Depends on the teacher. Unless you mean contracted days, but the contracts are clearly not designed to actually allow schools to run if teachers worked to them. As you can see quite readily by reading any of the Manx newspapers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Well, look at the disruption that simply working to rule is causing.

Clearly, a teacher’s contract doesn’t reflect the actual work they do. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Well, look at the disruption that simply working to rule is causing.

Clearly, a teacher’s contract doesn’t reflect the actual work they do. 

What are you on about?  There isn’t another profession where people get so much down time, and that should be reflected in the pay.  Why would you expect to earn the same as someone who works far more days a year?

55 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

What are you on about?  There isn’t another profession where people get so much down time, and that should be reflected in the pay.  Why would you expect to earn the same as someone who works far more days a year?

Teachers are causing significant disruption to students by working to rule. This would suggest that the “rule” is clearly not fit for purpose. 

You seem to be under the impression that a teacher clocks out in July every year and does nothing until September. That suggests a certain naivety about education really.  

And, yet again, the teachers aren’t paid to take this time off, their salary is just pro-ratad for it instead.

I’m sure your boss would let you have some time off for no pay if you asked nicely. 

• Haha 1