Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Your employer saw you coming. If you do extra work for no pay all you're doing is letting them know you'll take unpaid work. Unless of course you feel you're appropriately recompensed for that work longer term.

You must be a civil servant 😂

Unpaid overtime in business is very standard once you get above junior roles or manual/retail jobs

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Same for everyone really isn’t it?

This bit puzzles me, if prices are rising say 10% and wages are rising less than 10%, say 4%, then where is the extra profit going?  Surely materials, rents, insurance, utilities, transport etc are rising, on average, by inflation.  If retail prices are rising by the same amount but wages rising by less then maybe that suggests that profits are rising?

Selling price £100 to £110, +10%
Wage costs £20 to £21, 5%
None wage costs say £50 to £55, +10%

Original profit £30

New profit £34

Perhaps the increase in profit per unit, 10%+, will be offset buy a greater proportional reduction in sales.  But maybe not.

A bit simple, but maybe I’m just a bit simple?🤔

Edited by Meoir Shee
Number wrong!
  • Like 1

It really surprises me that there are so many anti-teacher.  Remember, they are professionals who have completed degrees and other qualifications.  There are not many other professions that have such a low reward after so much effort to get there.   

Yet, we expect them to educate the nation (and that really isn't over egging it), and reward them so poorly. They take children with all kinds of backgrounds and support from home and bring them to a measurable standard of education. 

We also whinge about school closures, not because of the missed education but because it causes childcare issues.  We also expect them, or the schools which the way it is set up comes to the same, to provide childcare before and after school as well as during lunchtime. 

We whinge about the holidays, but most will spend a good part of their holidays in prep for the next term.

It is a vocation in the true sense of the word, a calling, they do it for the love of it, not the reward, but they are entitled to a reasonable reward. 

My Mum was a teacher, retired in 1990, and even today someone mentioned that they remembered her and what a great teacher she was.  Lose that at our peril. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Well tbh not sure about teachers and the whole situation. Yes they have a big responsibily and yes they have always looked after clubs and lunch time duties. Someone I know after just trained in a school enviroment after gaining her degree has taught , and seemingly succesfully , for two years in the same school and has just landed a job in another school for a salary of 44k . She is 25. There is some added responsibilty to it but I was amazed by that salary. Another friend in her 50's in charge of music department in a small junior school is not on that. And she's been teaching for years . 

Edited by Numbnuts

Just now, Asthehills said:

You must be a civil servant 😂

Unpaid overtime in business is very standard once you get above junior roles or manual/retail jobs

No, I work in the private sector, and always have. My current role has a mix of paid and unpaid overtime. I'm doing paid overtime right this second. And no, it's neither junior nor manual/retail.

5 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No, I work in the private sector, and always have. My current role has a mix of paid and unpaid overtime. I'm doing paid overtime right this second. And no, it's neither junior nor manual/retail.

Bollocks!!? You’re either a teacher or civil servant as you’re always on defending them! With you’re attitude to any extra work you wouldn’t get very far in private sector 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It really surprises me that there are so many anti-teacher.  Remember, they are professionals who have completed degrees and other qualifications.  There are not many other professions that have such a low reward after so much effort to get there.   

Yet, we expect them to educate the nation (and that really isn't over egging it), and reward them so poorly. They take children with all kinds of backgrounds and support from home and bring them to a measurable standard of education. 

We also whinge about school closures, not because of the missed education but because it causes childcare issues.  We also expect them, or the schools which the way it is set up comes to the same, to provide childcare before and after school as well as during lunchtime. 

We whinge about the holidays, but most will spend a good part of their holidays in prep for the next term.

It is a vocation in the true sense of the word, a calling, they do it for the love of it, not the reward, but they are entitled to a reasonable reward. 

My Mum was a teacher, retired in 1990, and even today someone mentioned that they remembered her and what a great teacher she was.  Lose that at our peril. 

I am not anti teacher.  I would be opposed to any profession in the current climate inflicting more inconvenience on its customers for the sake of pay rise - when that particular profession actually have pretty good terms anyway when compared to an awful lot of others.

So what is a fair salary for an English teacher at a local secondary school with 5 years experience when taking into account their hours, the time off they get, pension, guaranteed sick pay, death in service benefit etc etc?

I would think somewhere between 26 and 28k.  If I wanted to match their pension at £28 it would cost me - few k a year.

• Haha 1

Just now, Banker said:

Bollocks!!? You’re either a teacher or civil servant as you’re always on defending them! With you’re attitude to any extra work you wouldn’t get very far in private sector 

I have a vested interest in the education system because I live here. It matters that the next generation is well educated for the future of the island.

I do plenty of extra work in my current role, but I am fairly compensated in terms of salary, so I'm fine with that. I've had jobs where I wasn't fairly compensated, in my view, so I didn't do extra work.

It's an employees market at the moment. If you aren't getting paid what you should, go elsewhere.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

No.  What you are showing is that you have no real sense of your worth and that you are happy for your employers to exploit your good nature. If you truly knew your worth you would ensure that your employers would fulfil their role in keeping you physically and emotionally healthy - and that means having your role clearly defined with agreed payment for additional duties when required.  

Name a job where that happens every day of every week!

Good luck

19 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Your employer saw you coming. If you do extra work for no pay all you're doing is letting them know you'll take unpaid work. Unless of course you feel you're appropriately recompensed for that work longer term.

Just to clarify, and you eluded to it in your post.  I am perfectly well paid thank you.

The point I am making is that work to rule is nonsense.  Hardly anyone is able to do that

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am not anti teacher.  I would be opposed to any profession in the current climate inflicting more inconvenience on its customers for the sake of pay rise - when that particular profession actually have pretty good terms anyway when compared to an awful lot of others.

But who are you comparing them to?

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Just to clarify, and you eluded to it in your post.  I am perfectly well paid thank you.

The point I am making is that work to rule is nonsense.  Hardly anyone is able to do that

Cool, but teachers aren't being well paid and are still expected to do absurd amounts of extra work and time. If they were paid properly they wouldn't be working to rule. Just like most of us in the private sector...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So what is a fair salary for an English teacher at a local secondary school with 5 years experience when taking into account their hours, the time off they get, pension, guaranteed sick pay, death in service benefit etc etc?

I would think somewhere between 26 and 28k.  If I wanted to match their pension at £28 it would cost me - few k a year.

Maybe that is the problem, a general undervaluing, average IoM earnings are £613 per week, you are suggesting £538, over 12% below average for an experienced English teacher?  

2022 IoM Earnings Survey

It is hard to make direct comparisons but £28k isn’t going to attract or retain many.  What recruitment crisis?  I blame the teachers.