Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

8 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Nobody said that.  What is “fairly” for someone who works not far off 75% of a normal working year?

50 grand a year. For two reasons

1) It'll mean our schools have competition for employees rather than having to accept virtually anyone, resulting in an increase in the quality of education for the next generation

2) It'll royally fuck you off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

50 grand a year. For two reasons

1) It'll mean our schools have competition for employees rather than having to accept virtually anyone, resulting in an increase in the quality of education for the next generation

2) It'll royally fuck you off

Not far off a masters/PhD graduate salary in a lot of fields either. So, it’ll bring you in a far higher calibre of people who may otherwise never consider it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Then ask your boss. I’m sure they’d be understanding if you’re valuable enough to the company.

You haven’t read the thread have you?  I can buy extra holiday and I can take unpaid leave.

But both come at a cost while you lot seem to expect more holidays than anyone else gets and another pay rise 

Edited by Asthehills

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

You haven’t read the there’s have you?  I can buy extra holiday and I can take unpaid leave.

But both come at a cost while you lot seem to expect more holidays than anyone else gets and another pay rise 

And yet, a teacher’s pay is so poor, even that isn’t enticing them over here to stay.

I’m not a teacher. I’m not daft enough to go for the abysmal pay and conditions. 

I do like how this thread is becoming a game of calling people teachers though. It harks back to when we played Mafia on here. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HeliX said:

"IoM Gross Weekly Wages increased 26% (does not include 2022, presume this would be somewhat higher now, UK rose 5.7% year on year to July 2022)"

"Her gross pay, doing exactly the same role at exactly the same scale in an Island school, increased 17% over those 11 years."

So yes, other professions outstripped teaching significantly. 

What do you think the inflation linked pension scheme would be worth in that time , they are not available to anyone outside public sector. I would say a minimum of 15% pa, possibly 20%.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Banker said:

What do you think the inflation linked pension scheme would be worth in that time , they are not available to anyone outside public sector. I would say a minimum of 15% pa, possibly 20%.

No idea, but it's not going to fix the recruitment problem is it? Come be a teacher on the Isle of Man, we won't pay you enough to live here but after 45 years you might be able to afford to retire here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Asthehills said:

Yep.  Same as every other industry.  You you teachers really need to stop thinking it’s an exclusive to teaching issue.

Your salary doesn't rely on your ability to absorb new information I hope. We've been round this bush half a dozen times now. The staff shortage in teaching predates the pandemic, the staff shortage in most other areas does not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Your salary doesn't rely on your ability to absorb new information I hope. We've been round this bush half a dozen times now. The staff shortage in teaching predates the pandemic, the staff shortage in most other areas does not.

Evidence?

There were no staffing issue in IT or actuarial pre pandemic?  Can you back that up with anything?

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Evidence?

There were no staffing issue in IT or actuarial pre pandemic?  Can you back that up with anything?

IT is a big field.   Wants to be more specific about where the skills shortages are?

There has been a shortage of actuaries for over a decade at least and, combined with the experience and qualifications required, they are highly paid.  

Are you now suggesting that market forces should play a part in determining the pay of teachers?

4 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

IT is a big field.   Wants to be more specific about where the skills shortages are?

There has been a shortage of actuaries for over a decade at least and, combined with the experience and qualifications required, they are highly paid.  

Are you now suggesting that market forces should play a part in determining the pay of teachers?

IT shortages?  Try sysadmin, DBA, CCISP, general infrastructure guys.

iT and actuarial were just the first two that popped into my head to make the point that it’s a staff shortage everywhere.