Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

28 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

They are about to go up a further 5 to 8 percent for teachers as well, which would then be mirrored here.  Do try and keep up

5 to 8 percent is bugger all when you account for the stagnation of teachers wages in real terms, and add the cost of living crisis and steadily increasing inflation to the mix  

You might’ve seen it discussed here in this very thread when you aren’t busy pontificating.

Do try and keep up. 

26 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

We don’t know but need to give it time to see.  That is why the current action is so stupid.

Waiting and seeing doesn’t really help the existing teachers who, frankly, I wouldn’t blame for wanting to leave. Which in itself would only further compound the problem with more vacancies. 

Plus, the current action is only them working to their contracts. It’s not like they’re on strike.

Maybe fixing the systemic problems whilst you’re waiting and seeing might be a tad more pragmatic. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

That certainly explains why they're leaving in droves.

Are the numbers leaving in the public domain?

If so what are they leaving to do? Just thinking about getting a true picture here ie retirements don't count...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P.K. said:

Are the numbers leaving in the public domain?

If so what are they leaving to do? Just thinking about getting a true picture here ie retirements don't count...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/36-teachers-resign-during-2021-22-academic-year/

"Of those who've left in the last year, 11 are under the age of 45 - nine from secondary schools, and two from primary."

9 hours ago, HeliX said:

If existing teachers aren't happy enough with it to stay and not strike, when they've clearly already got a vested interest in remaining in the teaching workforce, is it likely that it's attractive enough to new blood?

There’s less than 50% of o neills Union voted to strike & c22/23% of total teachers so hardly a ringing endorsement for action & only seems to be impacting 2 poorly performing secondary schools 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

There’s less than 50% of o neills Union voted to strike & c22/23% of total teachers so hardly a ringing endorsement for action & only seems to be impacting 2 poorly performing secondary schools 

You’ll find she’s got her claws into both those schools and it’s probably her influencing a lot of the bad morale by shit-stirring and bombarding staff with constant negativity. It’s how these unions infiltrate and gain control of the mindset of their members. 

It seems that the problem is that "some schools have told year groups to study from home because they don't have the staff to safely monitor break times."

Surely no teaching ability is needed for this. Just get some part-timers in to keep an eye on pupils during breaks and let the teachers get on with their teaching.

Ignoring the split infinitive, what does "to safely monitor" actually mean? Are the teachers seen to be at risk of physical injury? If so, they need some big part-timers.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@Banker @Newsdesk

If you think that teachers have a good overall benefits package and an easy tim because of all the holidays why haven't you taken up a teaching role?

Did you ever consider teaching as a possible career path?  If not, why?

You’re a bit of a one-trick pony. I don’t think you’ll find a post anywhere from me about teacher holidays. That’s clearly Bankers one-trick not mine. I’ve really lead on the line that the pay demands are unreasonable and that expecting inflationary rises in this climate is basically unreasonable especially when IOM teaching standards are clearly poor. 

As for why don’t I choose to teach? To be honest that’s like asking why someone doesn’t want to be a plumber, or an engineer, or work in banking or insurance. It’s about choice and skills fit isn’t it? Personally I’d probably strangle some little bastard in a school setting as I’d have no patience teaching all day. Neither would I want to be a plumber sticking my hands down peoples bogs all day. But I know they’re both well paid professions that I could probably do if I wanted to. I just choose not to. At the end of the day teachers chose their profession. If you don’t like it, or you don’t think you’re paid enough, then just leave. I’ve left a fixed career plan in the last few years to accept a lot less money to do something different as I was sick of dealing with people who were basically twats day in day out. Many teachers seem to have that set public sector fixed mindset that they have to keep carrying on because it’s all about the pension at the end no matter how unhappy their career choice might make them. It’s the same for most civil servants. Every one I know ceaselessly moans about how shit their job is. But none of them ever leave largely because they’re lazy and they know they’d have to work for their money in the private sector and they’ll lose their final salary pension.

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@Banker @Newsdesk

If you think that teachers have a good overall benefits package and an easy tim because of all the holidays why haven't you taken up a teaching role?

Did you ever consider teaching as a possible career path?  If not, why?

Personally I haven’t done it because I would end up in jail.  Can’t stand other people’s badly behaved kids and simply wouldn’t have the temperament for it.

Which is a shame because the holidays are awesome

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

You’ll find she’s got her claws into both those schools and it’s probably her influencing a lot of the bad morale by shit-stirring and bombarding staff with constant negativity. It’s how these unions infiltrate and gain control of the mindset of their members. 

Or, she is an chosen representative of a collective group whose role is to put forward the views of her union's members.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Many teachers seem to have that set public sector fixed mindset that they have to keep carrying on because it’s all about the pension at the end no matter how unhappy their career choice might make them. It’s the same for most civil servants. Every one I know ceaselessly moans about how shit their job is. But none of them ever leave largely because they’re lazy and they know they’d have to work for their money in the private sector and they’ll lose their final salary pension.

Maybe you only associate with lazy shits?

The teachers I know who are staying are staying because they want to help educate kids. Personally I don't think they should be punished with shite wages for that commitment, but here we are.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Maybe you only associate with lazy shits?

The teachers I know who are staying are staying because they want to help educate kids. Personally I don't think they should be punished with shite wages for that commitment, but here we are.

But the wages aren’t “shite”. If you don’t like it leave. Apparently there are plenty of well paid jobs about. But as part of that process you’d be walking away from your final salary pension (not been offered in the private sector for the last 30 years), and your holidays, and your other benefits. And if it’s as bad as you say you can even take less money for the sake of your mental health. Plenty of people have done exactly that after covid. It’s not always about money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1