Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

But the wages aren’t “shite”. If you don’t like it leave. Apparently there are plenty of well paid jobs about. But as part of that process you’d be walking away from your final salary pension (not been offered in the private sector for the last 30 years), and your holidays, and your other benefits. And if it’s as bad as you say you can even take less money for the sake of your mental health. Plenty of people have done exactly that after covid. It’s not always about money. 

1 minute ago, Wavey Davey said:

The thing that makes me laugh is all the teachers saying how hard they all work while at the same time constantly posting on here during work time 😂😂😂😂

I am not a teacher, nor associated with the profession in any way.

I just want our kids to be well educated. Madness right.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Surely no teaching ability is needed for this. Just get some part-timers in to keep an eye on pupils during breaks and let the teachers get on with their teaching.

Couldn't some local volunteers do this ? 

10 hours ago, HeliX said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/36-teachers-resign-during-2021-22-academic-year/

"Of those who've left in the last year, 11 are under the age of 45 - nine from secondary schools, and two from primary."

That link is not very helpful.

So 36 teachers have resigned. But that includes those retiring - eh? So 11 are under the age of 45. Who could have left for all sorts of reasons like becoming a full-time parent. And 32 new-hires to replace them.

Still, at least that ditches the emotive, inaccurate hyperbole like "leaving in droves..." 

According to this 

https://taxpayersalliance.im/education-department-staff-numbers-have-increased-by-20-over-last-five-years-so-why-dont-we-have-enough-teachers-to-fully-operate-schools/

there are 2455 folks employed by the DESC. So 36 leavers is about 1.5%.

However there seems to be something wrong if a department can increase by 20% and yet at the coalface they're kicking off. No doubt a lot of this is generated by a certain union official however the increased manpower seems  weighted in the wrong direction.

Edited by P.K.
get the numbers right

Just now, P.K. said:

That link is not very helpful.

So 32 teachers have resigned. But that includes those retiring - eh? So 11 are under the age of 45. Who could have left for all sorts of reasons like becoming a full-time parent. And 32 new-hires to replace them.

Still, at least that ditches the emotive, inaccurate hyperbole like "leaving in droves..." 

According to this 

https://taxpayersalliance.im/education-department-staff-numbers-have-increased-by-20-over-last-five-years-so-why-dont-we-have-enough-teachers-to-fully-operate-schools/

there are 2455 folks employed by the DESC. So 32 leavers is about 1.25%.

However there seems to be something wrong if a department can increase by 20% and yet at the coalface they're kicking off. No doubt a lot of this is generated by a certain union official however the increased manpower seems  weighted in the wrong direction.

Those 32 is from the teacher count, not the total DESC count (which is up, again. God only knows why).

I can't see any justification for having more non-teachers in the DESC than teachers. Weirdly no-one seems worried about the tax money going towards that, but they are upset about tax money going to teachers. Strange.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Takes ages to get DBS checked & cleared.

You're right, but I 'll bet it's been considered ! I agree with most of your comments  / argument as it is similar to what nurses and doctors have been experiencing for years. 

The teachers have given fair warning of their dissatisfaction over these issues (gaps in contracts) over a long period and they have been ignored.

As for public services salaries why not link them to MHK salaries similar to what has been suggested and arranged in more enlightened businesses links to CEO or executive pay.

or something like that....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I just want our kids to be well educated. Madness right.

Wether they are being well educated or not has nothing to do with pay awards. Unless you believe that teachers are deliberately providing a crap service as they don’t think they’re getting paid enough. Which would strangely validate everything everyone else has said in this thread about local teaching standards. 

4 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Wether they are being well educated or not has nothing to do with pay awards. Unless you believe that teachers are deliberately providing a crap service as they don’t think they’re getting paid enough. Which would strangely validate everything everyone else has said in this thread about local teaching standards. 

No, I'm saying that like any other sector, low wages reduces the number of people willing to do the job. If you're having to take basically anyone who applies because that's the sum total of the employee pool, then you are clearly not going to be able to be fussy over ability or qualifications. If there is competition for jobs, you can.

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

No, I'm saying that like any other sector, low wages reduces the number of people willing to do the job. If you're having to take basically anyone who applies because that's the sum total of the employee pool, then you are clearly not going to be able to be fussy over ability or qualifications. If there is competition for jobs, you can.

But all new teachers have to be qualified to the same basic level so that makes no sense at all. You are suggesting that people can’t be bothered teaching properly because they believe they aren’t getting paid for it. Which probably explains why Ballakermeen and St Ninians are in such a state. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Newsdesk said:

But all new teachers have to be qualified to the same basic level so that makes no sense at all. You are suggesting that people can’t be bothered teaching properly because they believe they aren’t getting paid for it. Which probably explains why Ballakermeen and St Ninians are in such a state. 

Have you ever been involved in hiring? People qualified to the same level don't automatically have the same ability, drive or competence.

• Like 1