Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Doesn't really matter what they call them. They shouldn't be teaching. They should always be under the supervision of the teacher in the classroom. I hope to god that never changes. No class can go ahead without a qualified teacher present, to do so would be against the education act. 

Some ESOs are qualified teachers. They are employed as ESOs to take on cover as it is needed rather than call in last minute staff.

22 hours ago, HeliX said:

"IoM Gross Weekly Wages increased 26% (does not include 2022, presume this would be somewhat higher now, UK rose 5.7% year on year to July 2022)"

"Her gross pay, doing exactly the same role at exactly the same scale in an Island school, increased 17% over those 11 years."

So yes, other professions outstripped teaching significantly. 

You’re never going to be happy if you log every penny like that and feel cheated when the numbers are out. To be honest I’ve never done that ever as I think it’s a sad and futile way to spend your time counting money you never had and money will you’ll never see. No wonder some elements of the public sector have lost their way. 

5 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

You’re never going to be happy if you log every penny like that and feel cheated when the numbers are out. To be honest I’ve never done that ever as I think it’s a sad and futile way to spend your time counting money you never had and money will you’ll never see. No wonder some elements of the public sector have lost their way. 

What the hell kind of thinking is this?

Don't worry about being robbed, if you think of all the things you've had stolen you'll never be happy.

Don't worry about starving, if you think of all the food you haven't eaten then you'll never be happy.

Don't worry about dying of thirst, if you think of all the water everyone else got but you didn't then you'll never be happy.

I am perplexed...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Don't worry about being robbed, if you think of all the things you've had stolen you'll never be happy.

Don't worry about starving, if you think of all the food you haven't eaten then you'll never be happy.

Don't worry about dying of thirst, if you think of all the water everyone else got but you didn't then you'll never be happy.

I am perplexed...

That explains a lot to be honest.

Inflation is through the roof.  The raises the teaches have had or are due to get if they are a bit patient mean the impact on them will be less than for many other people, yet they still stamp their feet

5 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

I honestly don’t think you’d find one person getting so bent out of shape about this sort of calculation in the private sector. It seems to be a bitter public sector thing to do where you count every penny then work out the imaginary figure you think you’ve been robbed of. Its quite bitter and twisted thinking that’s never going to do anyone any good at all. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

That explains a lot to be honest.

Inflation is through the roof.  The raises the teaches have had or are due to get if they are a bit patient mean the impact on them will be less than for many other people, yet they still stamp their feet

Given the way the pound is going, it'll be far beyond the roof too.

Can't blame anyone for wanting to try and up their chances of weathering what could be an awful storm.

Plus, it's not like they can get away with striking next year for another pay rise if it is still all going to shit. They've got to get what they can whilst they can.

28 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I am happy, because my employer values my work and pays me accordingly. I can see why teachers, particularly the hard working ones, feel hard done by in terms of pay per hour worked though. Particularly as their less hardworking peers get more pay per hour worked.

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

Some ESOs are qualified teachers. They are employed as ESOs to take on cover as it is needed rather than call in last minute staff.

Why would a teacher want to be an ESO. Ghey get paid less. It doesnt matter what you are qualified to be, it's what you are employed as. If you are not employed as a teacher, you are not a teacher. End of.

Like I say, I am not dissing anyone nor bullying any one up. The law says there must be a teacher in the class. Being a teacher is like being pregnant.  You either are, or you ain't. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There is no education law. It is policy based. The last Education Act was in 2002. The Education Bill was proposed in 2020 but was scrapped without review in 2021.

You really could do with updating your knowledge.

Haha. Interesting. Does that not mean that the education act still stands. 

6 hours ago, Asthehills said:

DESC would be crucified if they didn’t basic follow everything the UK do.  They can hardly implement policies radically different to every schooL in Britain so I am unsure what you expect them to do?

That also applies to the IOM Government. As we adopt and adapt more and more policies and standards already in situ across (and we enlist people implement them) then  I reckon the future looks a lot like the UK. Hope I am wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There is no law about having a teacher in the classroom and there never has been.

I have attempted to share my knowledge but I appear to be talking to a closed door and I'm not in the habit of doing that, preferring instead to talk with those whose doors are open - or ajar even.

If the poster wishes to learn (despite stating on numerous occasions that they are fully conversant with current practices and have no need to do so, whilst demonstrating that this is far from the case) then there comes a point when they only way they can gain knowledge is by seeking it themselves should they desire to do so.

And it wasn't a polite question. It was an attempt at point scoring - and I don't play that game either.

OK. I'll not try and convince you. We can agree to disagree.

My wife is a full time teacher. My sister is a full time teacher. My best friend is a deputy head and my niece is a full time teacher. I can only quote what they tell me. Perhaps it's not the law in the IOM. 

Saying that it is policy in the IOM and every class has a teacher. If there is no teacher, there is no class.

I'll say no more.