Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

This might have already been posted.  From Mr news today.

A great job our hardworking teachers are doing 🙄.

I posted earlier that we should be streets ahead of the UK average for exam results for many reasons.  I can’t remember who it was who said “we are” but as expected we clearly aren’t.  

Dont forget our latest exam takers had a lot less time out due to COVID than they did in the UK, so we’re in theory at an advantage.

The education minister says comparing Manx exam results with English ones is "misleading".

It's after figures were revealed showing GCSE and A Level results at most of the Island's schools were below the English average.”

Edited by Asthehills

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

This might have already been posted.  From Mr news today.

A great job our hardworking teachers are doing 🙄.

I posted earlier that we should be streets ahead of the UK average for exam results for many reasons.  I can’t remember who it was who said “we are” but as expected we clearly aren’t.  

Dont forget our latest GCSE takers had a lot less time out due to COVID than they did in the UK.

The education minister says comparing Manx exam results with English ones is "misleading".

It's after figures were revealed showing GCSE and A Level results at most of the Island's schools were below the English average.”

Here you go, and proving the point in the post to boot!

8xXf1IJ.png

Literally pointless.

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So excuse my ignorance.  Would all IOM schools come under secondary modern?

Yes. The UK publishes their headline stats with secondary modern and public schools lumped together. If you actually break it down we're doing as expected or better than expected. I believe it's further non-comparable because the UK has more specific schools for those who need extra help/those with educational needs etc, whereas on the Island they tend to be in "mainstream" schools. There'd be a fair argument that CRHS & SNHS should have done better (though given the size of IOM schools I guess there's sample size issues, particularly when comparing the entire UK to single schools here) but on the whole our results look reasonably good.

EDIT: All the schools in the image would come under secondary modern, that is. King Williams would be public school, obvs.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1

Just now, HeliX said:

Yes. The UK publishes their headline stats with secondary modern and public schools lumped together. If you actually break it down we're doing as expected or better than expected. I believe it's further non-comparable because the UK has more specific schools for those who need extra help/those with educational needs etc, whereas on the Island they tend to be in "mainstream" schools. There'd be a fair argument that CRHS & SNHS should have done better (though given the size of IOM schools I guess there's sample size issues, particularly when comparing the entire UK to single schools here) but on the whole our results look reasonably good.

Really?  

91E331B0-DFCB-4C0F-8E0A-0B97AF30377C.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Really?  

91E331B0-DFCB-4C0F-8E0A-0B97AF30377C.jpeg

For the GCSE level results mentioned in the article, yes. "All the schools in the island that released their GCSE result figures have performed worse than English schools, where 79.3% of their results were A* to C."

The 79.3% figure is public school + secondary modern. The secondary modern alone figure is 67.5% (i.e. lower than most of our schools), the public figure was approx 92%.

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

For the GCSE level results mentioned in the article, yes. "All the schools in the island that released their GCSE result figures have performed worse than English schools, where 79.3% of their results were A* to C."

The 79.3% figure is public school + secondary modern. The secondary modern alone figure is 67.5% (i.e. lower than most of our schools), the public figure was approx 92%.

So where do kids who are secondary comprehensive and secondary selective in England get schooled on the island?  

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Strange how you’re quoting Julie Edges line now on results but on pay you imply she doesn’t know what she’s talking about 😂

13 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

What has public schooling for to do with secondary comprehensive?

Unless I'm mistaken the differentiator between comprehensive and modern is to do with the existence of public schools in the same area.

ETA: Though the distinction may be academic (har har har) on the IOM. No idea.

Edited by HeliX

1 minute ago, HeliX said:

Unless I'm mistaken the differentiator between comprehensive and modern is to do with the existence of public schools in the same area.

I think you might be very mistaken.

As I understand it our schools include the kids who would be at secondary modern (the worst results, that you selected) plus secondary comprehensive and secondary selective.

The rest are pretty self explanatory but if  I am right then your figures were complete nonsense.

If I am wrong and someone can explain why then that’s all fine (but they still get too much money considering the holidays and pension they get on top 😜)

EFD1DAB2-D8E7-4AC7-A508-8A2CC8657289.thumb.jpeg.39a62570ae4cdd5d0d874f01404a36fe.jpeg

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I think you might be very mistaken.

As I understand it our schools include the kids who would be at secondary modern (the worst results, that you selected) plus secondary comprehensive and secondary selective.

The rest are pretty self explanatory but if  I am right then your figures were complete nonsense.

If I am wrong and someone can explain why then that’s all fine (but they still get too much money considering the holidays and pension they get on top 😜)

EFD1DAB2-D8E7-4AC7-A508-8A2CC8657289.thumb.jpeg.39a62570ae4cdd5d0d874f01404a36fe.jpeg

Wasn't me who selected it, I just screenshotted someone else's post and presumed that they knew better than me about which schools were analogous to the Island's.

If we assume that our results are analogous to comprehensive plus modern then that still puts us about right? 63.3%-76.9% for us vs 67.5% to 73.3% for them.

• Haha 1