Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yes, they are. It's not just about the pay or the extra curricular, those things have always been expected. it's about the lack of discipline, lack of parental support, parents excessive demands without accepting responsibility. The kids no that they can do just about anything and get away with it - school sanctions only go so far. That, and the huge pressures of the National Curriculum are sending them into 9-5 jobs in the private sector where they can do their jobs and go home and leave them till the next day,

This hatred of teachers will end badly.  Every single one of you who criticise and are unsupportive toward them are ensuring that our children of the future are going to be educationally very badly catered for. But keep going why don't you. Keep banging away about what lazy money grabbing shysters they all are. You're ensuring your children and grandchildren will never know the value of good teachers. And then of course you'll be whining about that too.

Exactly. A good education system is a key foundation stone to a successful society.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

What’s properly?  See my other post and suggest a figure

The union is probably in a better place to suggest that figure than I am. But expecting someone to come out of 3(+) years of Uni and 2(+) years of training and work for £22k is pretty mental. Having qualified teachers struggle to afford to live here is mental.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The union is probably in a better place to suggest that figure than I am. But expecting someone to come out of 3(+) years of Uni and 2(+) years of training and work for £22k is pretty mental. Having qualified teachers struggle to afford to live here is mental.

Does that happen.  There only seems to be one secondary school job listed at the moment.

28k to more than 40 which I assume is dependant on experience.

Like it or not the pension, time off and other benefits have a value, so I would say that is the equivalent of about £35k starting in hospitality where people also work antisocial hours.

C79396DD-C964-4AEE-87A2-98E4D7773584.png

9 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Maybe that is the problem, a general undervaluing, average IoM earnings are £613 per week, you are suggesting £538, over 12% below average for an experienced English teacher?  

2022 IoM Earnings Survey

It is hard to make direct comparisons but £28k isn’t going to attract or retain many.  What recruitment crisis?  I blame the teachers.

That's for an average of ~38 hours a week too...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/18/25-of-teachers-in-england-work-more-than-60-hours-a-week-study

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49728831

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Does that happen.  There only seems to be one secondary school job listed at the moment.

28k to more than 40 which I assume is dependant on experience.

Like it or not the pension, time off and other benefits have a value, so I would say that is the equivalent of about £35k starting in hospitality where people also work antisocial hours.

Yes it does, and if the individual is doing their teacher training when they join the school it'll be lower than that, too.

Teacher's "time off" is a bit of a myth. If your job doesn't pay you a pension and decent benefits, join a union.

• Like 2

Just now, HeliX said:

Yes it does, and if the individual is doing their teacher training when they join the school it'll be lower than that, too.

Teacher's "time off" is a bit of a myth. If your job doesn't pay you a pension and decent benefits, join a union.

You don’t need to join a Union, you just pay for them yourself which is why it has a value.

Just checked primary schools.  Also 27 to 44k

518149F0-B896-426A-AD47-C8EB997D744B.png

31 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Me. Family members, friends and acquaintances.

A mix of nurses, carers, hospitality workers and managers, lawyers, office staff at all levels, construction workers and taxi drivers.

I would argue for good rates of pay for nurses and carers, as well as teachers  their rates are set by government not the market.  The rest are set by the market.  That is the point, don't you see? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2