Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

Just now, manxman1980 said:

Hang on... you weren't happy that your child was left in a classroom yesterday.  Why would being left at home alone be a significant improvement? 

I didn’t say I wasn’t happy about it as in there was any risk.  I said it showed how badly run the schools are.

Two very different things.  Do you see?

2 hours ago, Nomadic Raptor said:

Balla on the other hand can’t my son is going to be back 1 extra day so still working from home two more days this week and two days next week.  Employers won’t be happy

I'm a bit confused by this.  According to Manx Radio they're saying: The school says it now has a contingency plan in place to ensure break times are safely supervised despite the ongoing industrial action.  But in that case why does it only apply the certain years and not all students?  I would have thought that breaks were either covered or not.  Are there still teacher shortages and this is being used to cover up the fact?

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics

5 hours ago, Asthehills said:

What would this lot do if suddenly the private sector all started going on strike? 

They seem to forget that even any sort of annual rise is relatively rare in the real world and certainly not a given.

Alternatively they could try and find a better job with better pay and benefits in the private sector.

If we do not support our teachers we may soon find out that offering pay rises to our teachers may be the only option to keep sufficient teaching staff ‘in post’. 

6 hours ago, Asthehills said:

They seem to forget that even any sort of annual rise is relatively rare in the real world and certainly not a given

However, the latest ONS report suggests average pay grew by 5.5%, with private sector pay growing 6% and public sector 2%.  The ONS also suggests that 32.7 million people are employed in the UK.  Therefore, according to the ONS, the pay of 32.7 million people went up by 5.5% on average.  Just facts.  

Is wage growth for 32.7 million workers relatively rare?

Edited by Meoir Shee
Error
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, code99 said:

If we do not support our teachers we may soon find out that offering pay rises to our teachers may be the only option to keep sufficient teaching staff ‘in post’. 

As many people have said they’re free to find alternative better paid employment if they want. But none of them will so then what will they do? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Where does it end?  What would this lot do if suddenly the private sector all started going on strike?

It is NOT to allow certain groups to hold us to ransom and create an ever bigger disparity between different sectors and expect the rest of us to pay for their pay rises.

Architects

Dockers

Rail workers

British Telecom

Bus drivers

Royal Mail

Draymen

Barristers

Amazon

Journalists

Edited by Meoir Shee
Wrong link

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I didn’t say I wasn’t happy about it as in there was any risk.  I said it showed how badly run the schools are.

Two very different things.  Do you see?

I was actually giving some thought to your circumstances. 

You have said that you earn a three figured salary and that your daughter is academically gifted with the opportunity for very good grades.

You clearly are not a fan of the Islands High Schools so did you ever consider a private education for yoir daughter?  In your position this is something I would certainly have pursued in order to ensure the best education possible.

3 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Many people are taking time off work or WFH because of this. 

Well after the lockdowns they should be well experienced in dealing with this...

Remember the teachers are not on strike they are simply working to rule which suggests that the schools are under resourced if they are relying on teachers undertaking additional work.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1