Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

It has been posted over on the IOMNP on facebook and predictably there are people who have issues with it. from some of the comments it seems that kids with ADHD or anxiety should just be given a free pass to behave as they like and not even bother trying to teach them any respect or discipline. 

I've not seen the comments on the page but in defence of people with ADHD, some of these expectations are very difficult to meet when you have issues with your executive functions (the functions of the brain responsible for planning, orgsnisation amongst many other tasks).   This isn't a behavioural disorder, it's a neurodevelpmental disorder.  Ie your brain isn't functioning the same way that neurological people's does. 

I'd love to see what strategies BHS will be putting in place to work with students to assist them to achieve these goals (which will in turn form good strategies for employment) 

I was a "good student", obedient the vast majority of the time, very respectful.  But my goodness transitioning from task to task, lesson to lesson was really really hard and I was often the last to leave a classroom and last to arrive at the next classroom flustered and panicking.  I ended up with depression, anxiety and a self harmer through never feeling like I was doing well enough - despite my very good grades.   Eventually diagnosed with adhd in my late 20s.   Explains a lot and with medication and some ADHD specific strategies for my challenges I'm doing better in adulthood. 

I don't want a "free pass" for my daughter who also has adhd and will be going to Ballakermeen in several years, I want her to be adequately supported to achieve her best  :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I am very sympathetic to those with various conditions like ADHD and with mental health issues, but being someone who works in the education system I welcome something like this. Schools are getting out of control and the children are ruling the roost. I get constantly talked over by students during lessons and most of them have no SEN issues or are from dysfunctional backgrounds. There needs to be some order and we need to give children firm guidance on how to behave appropriately. Enough is enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

Schools are getting out of control and the children are ruling the roost. I get constantly talked over by students during lessons and most of them have no SEN issues or are from dysfunctional backgrounds. There needs to be some order and we need to give children firm guidance on how to behave appropriately. Enough is enough.

Maybe not teaching kids for nearly 6 months and letting them rely on their parents who were also WFH whilst trying to manage home schooling whilst trying to hold down their own job wasn’t such a good idea after all? 

What’s that got to do with having some sort order within an educational environment? Very few could have predicted Covid and no sector of western society was ready for it. Children need guidance on what the basic expectations are in life in general. Honestly you need to experience it to understand that some groups are becoming unteachable due to a continuous lack of ability to adhere to basic manners. If you were there you’d be shocked.

Edited by Bill1977
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Maybe not teaching kids for nearly 6 months and letting them rely on their parents who were also WFH whilst trying to manage home schooling whilst trying to hold down their own job wasn’t such a good idea after all? 

@Bill1977 I am sure you can explain to this clown that even before the pandemic there were plenty of disruptive kids in school.  

I have said before on this thread (I think I have anyway) that I know of one reception class that had to have two social workers in the classroom due to the behaviour of children.  A reception class!  Imagine how that pans out before they get to High School.

That example would be at least 15 years ago...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

@Bill1977 I am sure you can explain to this clown that even before the pandemic there were plenty of disruptive kids in school.  

Only one clown here and it certainly isn’t me. This thread and the increasing levels of desperation on display is really amusing. The worrying thing is that from next week the main contributors will have even more time on their hands to post their shite on social media. 

For a number students these kind of rules are not a problem. Believe me many children’s education is being ruined by unruly and disrespectful children who won’t follow simple instructions. Most of them are lacking clear guidance at home due to dysfunctional family circumstances. This is where education has to lead the way and provide structure to prepare them for later life.

Also on the subject of the strike, the teachers are now simply working to rule. Very few industries would you be expected not get paid for overtime. Teachers put many hours in unpaid, and their salaries relative to other industries for their level of education is way too low.  Other countries seem to respect the trade way more than we do. 

Edited by Bill1977
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

Also on the subject of the strike, the teachers are now simply working to rule. Very few industries would you be expected not get paid for overtime. Teachers put many hours in unpaid, and their salaries relative to other industries for their level of education is way too low.  Other countries seem to respect the trade way more than we do. 

What planet do you live on? The last time I got paid overtime was 1997. It comes with the territory when you have a responsible job that you work the hours needed. FFS overtime! 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill1977 said:

You are in the vast minority, and most likely self employed.

I honestly do not know what planet you live on. No I’m not self employed. You get to a level of responsibility in any job where the hours are just the hours. Outside of manual workers I honestly don’t know anyone who gets paid overtime just for doing their job. You lot are simply delusional. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

For a number students these kind of rules are not a problem. Believe me many children’s education is being ruined by unruly and disrespectful children who won’t follow simple instructions. Most of them are lacking clear guidance at home due to dysfunctional family circumstances. This is where education has to lead the way and provide structure to prepare them for later life.

Kids like to mess about. Always have. Mine has recently made the move to big school, I've told him its fine to mess around, the way to get through school is to do it laughing, but do your work first.

5 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

What planet do you live on? The last time I got paid overtime was 1997. It comes with the territory when you have a responsible job that you work the hours needed. FFS overtime! 😂

The trouble has been that over the last 30 years, teachers have taken on more and more responsibilities and tasks, curricular and other, for the good of the pupils and  because they took pride in their job, wanting to do their utmost best for them. However, these ‘extras’ (overtime, I think you call it), have become the norm at every level of the profession and between these and coping with disruption, it has become an almost impossible job. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gymbabe said:

The trouble has been that over the last 30 years, teachers have taken on more and more responsibilities and tasks, curricular and other, for the good of the pupils and  because they took pride in their job, wanting to do their utmost best for them. However, these ‘extras’ (overtime, I think you call it), have become the norm at every level of the profession and between these and coping with disruption, it has become an almost impossible job. 

It’s the same in absolutely every other profession you could care to mention. 

• Like 1