Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

2 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Kids like to mess about. Always have. Mine has recently made the move to big school, I've told him its fine to mess around, the way to get through school is to do it laughing, but do your work first

And here lies the root of the behaviour problem. There’s a time and a place for ‘messing about’ and in lessons isn’t it. There are usually 29+ other young people in the same room, most trying to learn, and while your boy might get his work done, due to the messing, an awful lot of time is wasted and others will follow his example and mess too...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

Only one clown here and it certainly isn’t me. This thread and the increasing levels of desperation on display is really amusing. The worrying thing is that from next week the main contributors will have even more time on their hands to post their shite on social media. 

Once again I am not a teacher nor do I work in the Public sector.   I merely recognise the challenges faced by Teachers when pupils and parents have no respect for Teachers (something that has been getting worse over the last 20years or so) whilst also having being restricted in how they can discipline a child.

As for overtime payments I agree with you that most salaried employees in the private sector do not get paid overtime.  That said flexitime is available to me but isn't for Teachers.

I also get compensated at a much higher rate than teachers and have a better benefits package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

It’s the same in absolutely every other profession you could care to mention. 

So how does that negate the teachers’ efforts to change this? Why aren’t others making a stand? 

Edited by gymbabe
Predictive text

7 minutes ago, gymbabe said:

And here lies the root of the behaviour problem. There’s a time and a place for ‘messing about’ and in lessons isn’t it. There are usually 29+ other young people in the same room, most trying to learn, and while your boy might get his work done, due to the messing, an awful lot of time is wasted and others will follow his example and mess too...

That's right, it's my fault!

• Thanks 1

Just now, manxman1980 said:

When I work additional hours I still feel fairly compensated plus I can take time off in lieu.

Here we have people who get SIX weeks off in the summer complaining that they don’t get overtime when nobody gets overtime anyway in the real world. Is SIX weeks off not a pay back of flextime? They’re clearly completely delusional. 

• Like 1

In the private sector and other jobs there are bonuses, as well as review of salaries, there is no such option in education. If you were say a teacher of history for the last 5 years you wouldn’t have had any payrise of any type regardless of performance. Other jobs are rarely like that and considering inflation that means you are in a poorer position relatively. Educating children is a big responsibility and even is more so now with all the safeguarding expectations. Children are leaving school at 18, working for Egaming companies and getting paid more than teachers. That’s not right.

Edited by Bill1977
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Here we have people who get SIX weeks off in the summer complaining that they don’t get overtime when nobody gets overtime anyway in the real world. Is SIX weeks off not a pay back of flextime? They’re clearly completely delusional. 

The six weeks off argument is a myth...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

In the private sector and other jobs there are bonuses, as well as review of salaries, there is no such option in education. If you were say a teacher of history for the last 5 years you wouldn’t have had any payrise of any type regardless of performance. Other jobs are rarely like that and considering inflation that means you are in a poorer position relatively. It’s a big responsibility educated children and even more so now with all the safeguarding expectations. Children are leaving school at 18, working for Egaming companies and getting paid more than teachers. That’s not right.

You don’t actually live in the real world do you? What bonuses? You’ll be talking about expense accounts and company cars next. Another total left-wing fallacy about the private sector. You lot really don’t have a ****king clue about how the rest of the world functions. Not a clue. 

Edited by Wavey Davey
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

I honestly do not know what planet you live on. No I’m not self employed. You get to a level of responsibility in any job where the hours are just the hours. Outside of manual workers I honestly don’t know anyone who gets paid overtime just for doing their job. You lot are simply delusional. 

and that's maybe the problem, for a long time people have taken on extra work at their own detriment to help out and the powers that be then just expect it and take those workers for granted

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

and that's maybe the problem, for a long time people have taken on extra work at their own detriment to help out and the powers that be then just expect it and take those workers for granted

Not sure about that. It’s about being a professional worker. People who dig holes in the road get overtime, as do people in retail or low level office work. Most people in professional roles accept that people aren’t paying you for your time they’re paying for your expertise and some extra unpaid hours come as part of that professional pathway. It’s irrelevant for teachers anyway as 6 weeks off is more than enough compensation for a few extra hours worked. 

21 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Not when linked to the overtime issue it isn’t. Wah, wah! We don’t get any overtime and the six weeks paid leave we get off in the summer doesn’t compensate for the odd hour extra we have work. It’s absolute bollocks. 

Teachers holidays are unpaid. You sound really angry, are you ok?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Not sure about that. It’s about being a professional worker. People who dig holes in the road get overtime, as do people in retail or low level office work. Most people in professional roles accept that people aren’t paying you for your time they’re paying for your expertise and some extra unpaid hours come as part of that professional pathway. It’s irrelevant for teachers anyway as 6 weeks off is more than enough compensation for a few extra hours worked. 

Lawyers and accountants charge by the hour, and so do many other professions.

• Confused 1