Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

2 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Not sure about that. It’s about being a professional worker. People who dig holes in the road get overtime, as do people in retail or low level office work. Most people in professional roles accept that people aren’t paying you for your time they’re paying for your expertise and some extra unpaid hours come as part of that professional pathway. It’s irrelevant for teachers anyway as 6 weeks off is more than enough compensation for a few extra hours worked. 

There’s a big shortage of teachers atm. I’m sure the profession would be eager to welcome you into it...

3 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Lawyers and accountants charge by the hour, and so do many other professions.

You’re clueless. They charge you by the hour but they’re either paid a salary by their employer or participate in the profits of their practice as a partner. You clearly can’t even understand the basics. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

You don’t actually live in the real world do you? What bonuses? You’ll be talking about expense accounts and company cars next. Another total left-wing fallacy about the private sector. You lot really don’t have a ****king clue about how the rest of the world functions. Not a clue. 

My current job gives me a 20% performance related bonus and a car allowance of £450 per month

Previous job at a different private sector employer was a 10% bonus and company car.

11 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

So what? That’s one specific job it certainly isn’t the norm and bonuses are discretionary based on performance. There’s no guarantee your going to get it. 

Sometimes bonuses, if you're going to get them each year, are just a means of paying extra money without pension contributions. 

29 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Not sure about that. It’s about being a professional worker. People who dig holes in the road get overtime, as do people in retail or low level office work. Most people in professional roles accept that people aren’t paying you for your time they’re paying for your expertise and some extra unpaid hours come as part of that professional pathway. It’s irrelevant for teachers anyway as 6 weeks off is more than enough compensation for a few extra hours worked. 

Yes I’d agree with that. I haven’t qualified for overtime for decades. I’m not paid to clock watch as they aren’t paying for my time they’re paying for the skill set I add to their business and I work whatever hours it takes to get the job done. 

33 minutes ago, Banker said:

Correct it’s 13 weeks in total!!

Thirteen weeks holiday is more than adequate compensation for working a few extra hours. Talk of not getting overtime is just silly. It looks like many teachers are just unhappy in their jobs but not sure whether that’s due to the unions stirring the pot or bad management by the DESC. But I know from experience that if you're unhappy in your job getting more money isn’t going to make you any happier. You’re best just leaving and doing something else. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

So what? That’s one specific job it certainly isn’t the norm and bonuses are discretionary based on performance. There’s no guarantee your going to get it. 

I have given two examples from my employment with two different private sector employers.  Those two companies also operate in different industries/sectors.

Your argument that the private sector isn't or can't be generous is therefore BS.

It also means I have the opportunity to earn above my basic package.

The car allowance is another way to top up pay without incurring pension and NI contributions. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

You don’t actually live in the real world do you? What bonuses? You’ll be talking about expense accounts and company cars next. Another total left-wing fallacy about the private sector. You lot really don’t have a ****king clue about how the rest of the world functions. Not a clue. 

This post is rather ironic as you have clearly never been in a sales role where bonuses, company wheels, what you can get on X's, all found R&R trips etc are the norm because they are the biggest drivers...

No sales = no company...

3 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Your argument that the private sector isn't or can't be generous is therefore BS.

No you’re argument is literally BS but then from what you posted way back above it sounds like you likely work in recruitment which makes you a bullshitting oxygen-thief anyway. Two examples of a very specific job provides no gauge to the normal in the private sector at all. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

No you’re argument is literally BS but then from what you posted way back above it sounds like you likely work in recruitment which makes you a bullshitting oxygen-thief anyway. Two examples of a very specific job provides no gauge to the normal in the private sector at all. 

Guess again...

I presume you are referring to me recruiting accountancy apprentices?  Why would anyone use an employment business/recruitment agency to do that for them?

Recruitment agencies also pay a very low basic rate but do give the opportunity for big on target earnings.  The culture within those businesses is often very pressurised and not somewhere I would wish to work.

As for the sample size of a specific job then sure.  I do the same job now as I did for my previous employer.  There is a fly in your ointment though which is that the bonus payment is standard across all employees.  It does vary between 10% and 30% depending on seniority with those at the 30% level having 70% linked to the business performance and 30% on individual performance. 

Car allowance is a common benefit although there is no realy rhyme ot reason as to who gets it or why.

Private Medical is also offered to every employee including cover for your partner.

Would I give up these benefits to be a  teacher?  Not a chance in hell!  I thoroughly respect the job teachers do I think they are horrendously underpaid for having to deal with the little darlings of entitled and arrogant parents all day.

Edited by manxman1980
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I have given two examples from my employment with two different private sector employers.  Those two companies also operate in different industries/sectors.

It also means I have the opportunity to earn above my basic package.

The car allowance is another way to top up pay without incurring pension and NI contributions. 

But do you get an-inflation  linked pension , plenty of sick days & 13 weeks holidays off at all peak times?

• Like 1