Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

Just now, Banker said:

But do you get an-inflation  linked pension , plenty of sick days & 13 weeks holidays off at all peak times?

I do get generous sickness benefits because my employer actually cares about its employees.

I don't get an indexed linked pension nor the alleged 13 weeks holiday.  These would still not be enough to get me to go into teaching. 

The thought of teaching the child or children of some of the people posting on here...  you would need to be paying at least six figures plus all the other benefits for me to even consider it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Teachers holidays are unpaid. You sound really angry, are you ok?

Correct.  Which means the hourly rate for the time they actually work is really quite good compared to other professions.

A direct comparison to a nurse or police officer, both of which have much tougher jobs with anti social hours would make teachers look a bit silly for complaining 

1 hour ago, BriT said:

Yes I’d agree with that. I haven’t qualified for overtime for decades. I’m not paid to clock watch as they aren’t paying for my time they’re paying for the skill set I add to their business and I work whatever hours it takes to get the job done. 

Then according to many on here you are a mug 🙄 along with thousands of others, me included.

I don’t know what planet these people live on

26 minutes ago, HeliX said:

This thread is great for finding out which doormats have let their bosses ride roughshod over their personal lives and haven't figured out that that's not normal.

It's certainly teasing out those with a work ethic who take a certain pride in the organisation they work for and the contribution they make towards it's success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It's certainly teasing out those with a work ethic who take a certain pride in the organisation they work for and the contribution they make towards it's success.

I work very hard, and have a lot of pride in my organisation. I've bought plenty of shares in it with my own money. But I am well rewarded for my effort. The people doing lots of extra, unpaid work for no gain (other than lining their bosses pockets of course) and then acting like that's normal and expected are being fleeced.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I have to keep checking its you making these posts.

Some posters on here will be cheering as there employment rights are taken away and will belive it is somehow a good thing.

• Like 2

Just now, HeliX said:

I work very hard, and have a lot of pride in my organisation. I've bought plenty of shares in it with my own money. But I am well rewarded for my effort. The people doing lots of extra, unpaid work for no gain (other than lining their bosses pockets of course) and then acting like that's normal and expected are being fleeced.

I beg to differ.  As others have said once you hit a certain level you are paid for your expertise and experience, not to do a set number of hours each week.

I have great flexibility in my role because I am experienced and they trust me not to take the piss as long as the work gets done.  

You would probably class a lot of what I do as going above and beyond and being taken for a mug but through my career I have always done the same and been well rewarded as a result.

I wonder what percentage of people on 70k plus are or have ever been work to rule clock watchers?

I wonder what percentage of teachers on island on 50k plus are work to rule clock watchers who complain about some extra responsibility or extra hours?  I would hazard a guess that those in senior positions have got there by pushing themselves and going the r extra mile and are now being well rewarded for it.

I notice the new head at QE2 has come from working off island.  What does that say about the work ethic of the teachers in our system and their desire to push themselves?

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Guess again...

I presume you are referring to me recruiting accountancy apprentices?  Why would anyone use an employment business/recruitment agency to do that for them?

Recruitment agencies also pay a very low basic rate but do give the opportunity for big on target earnings.  The culture within those businesses is often very pressurised and not somewhere I would wish to work.

As for the sample size of a specific job then sure.  I do the same job now as I did for my previous employer.  There is a fly in your ointment though which is that the bonus payment is standard across all employees.  It does vary between 10% and 30% depending on seniority with those at the 30% level having 70% linked to the business performance and 30% on individual performance. 

Car allowance is a common benefit although there is no realy rhyme ot reason as to who gets it or why.

Private Medical is also offered to every employee including cover for your partner.

Would I give up these benefits to be a  teacher?  Not a chance in hell!  I thoroughly respect the job teachers do I think they are horrendously underpaid for having to deal with the little darlings of entitled and arrogant parents all day.

Would you pay more tax so that teachers can be paid a better wage?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Would you pay more tax so that teachers can be paid a better wage?

No.

I would pay more tax to see a scheme put in place to help everyone in society during the current cost of living crisis though.

I would also happily pay more tax to see incentives for workers in any industry to relocate to the island or for locals who have gone to further education in the UK return.  Likewise to assist people already living here to upskill, but absolutely not to just give teachers a pay bump.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I beg to differ.  As others have said once you hit a certain level you are paid for your expertise and experience, not to do a set number of hours each week.

I have great flexibility in my role because I am experienced and they trust me not to take the piss as long as the work gets done.  

You would probably class a lot of what I do as going above and beyond and being taken for a mug but through my career I have always done the same and been well rewarded as a result.

I wonder what percentage of people on 70k plus are or have ever been work to rule clock watchers?

I wonder what percentage of teachers on island on 50k plus are work to rule clock watchers who complain about some extra responsibility or extra hours?  I would hazard a guess that those in senior positions have got there by pushing themselves and going the r extra mile and are now being well rewarded for it.

I notice the new head at QE2 has come from working off island.  What does that say about the work ethic of the teachers in our system and their desire to push themselves?

You're still paid for your hours. If you can't fit the work into those hours then you're under-resourced.

If you're being paid appropriately for the extra time (via overtime or your regular pay justifying it) then it's not being a mug. It's doing it when you're not at that point that's daft. I do 50-70h most weeks, but I am also paid enough to justify it, some of those hours are paid overtime, and via ownership schemes and share rewards I will see that effort come back healthily when the business is listed/privately sold. I didn't do anywhere near these hours in any of my jobs where my work wasn't valued the way it is in this one.

"What does that say about the work ethic of the teachers in our system and their desire to push themselves?"

I would expect to see this happening more and more as the housing crisis worsens. Our more junior teachers are more likely to leave and live in the UK where they can afford a house, and we'll have very few home-grown mid/senior level staff.

49 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I have to keep checking its you making these posts.

Some posters on here will be cheering as there employment rights are taken away and will belive it is somehow a good thing.

I very much doubt that.

I worked for a US multinational and the culture was to strive to succeed. If there's a job to be done use your initiative and get on with it. In business terms it's known as empowerment. 

So you went the extra mile and took a pride in how the company was doing and your contribution to it. You were bonused (is that a word?) on results and how you achieved them. The more you achieved the more you moved up the hierarchy. No pay scale increments or dead man's shoes. You were graded into a higher band because on your track record it was thought that with more authority you would generate more revenue.

It wasn't real "authority" though. True you had the pain of the annual performance reviews etc but you were expected to set high standards and lead by example.

Now about the teachers and their job for life T&C's....

ETA : do the pupils ever have to fill out Customer Sat Surveys...?

Edited by P.K.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, P.K. said:

So you went the extra mile and took a pride in how the company was doing and your contribution to it. You were bonused (is that a word?) on results and how you achieved them.

Not super relevant when we were responding to the people who were saying bonuses don't exist but you should work every hour that God sends anyway...

4 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Not super relevant when we were responding to the people who were saying bonuses don't exist but you should work every hour that God sends anyway...

Obviously not every company recognises and rewards achievement but the fact that a lot do is one of the biggest differentiators between the private sector and the public sector. 

Of course, they do it because it helps to motivate folks to give it their best shot.

• Like 1