Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

2 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

Manx crabs are crabbing it up again.

"I've got it bad. I will attack anyone else trying to improve their lives and that will make me feel happy!"

No, unionise and change your circumstances for the better.

Anyone who suggest someone unionise is part of the problem in my opinion.

I am perfectly happy with my situation thanks.  All I have been doing is trying to point out how things work in the real world.

Your posting history makes me wonder which school you teach at and what jobs you have ever had outside of an education setting?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I am perfectly happy with my situation thanks.  All I have been doing is trying to point out how things work in the real world.

Your posting history makes me wonder which school you teach at and what jobs you have ever had outside of an education setting?

But teachers, nurses etc aren't in the real world they have a monopolistic employer. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I would argue for good rates of pay for nurses and carers, as well as teachers  their rates are set by government not the market.  The rest are set by the market.  That is the point, don't you see? 

I don’t see that the rates for teachers are that bad when compared to other professions and taking into account all the benefits they get like fixed social hours and huge amounts of time off.

I would expect an equally experienced nurse working the hours they do and with the responsibility they have plus the inability to often take breaks etc to earn at least half as much again as a teacher for example.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

30e38a59dd904b3399a647ef74380b6fee69823ee33b1d35fb618ce968456529_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I do r see that the rates for teachers are that bad when compared to others professions and taking into account all the benefits they get like fixed social El hours and huge amounts of time off.

I would expect an equally experienced nurse working the hours they do and remote the responsibility they have plus the inability to often take breaks etc to earn at least half as much again as a teacher for example.

I would probably agree.  It has long been said that those who contribute more to society receive less.  We value the wrong parts of society. 

Take it to an extreme, footballers vs nurses.  Who would you rather was so well rewarded that they would always be there?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I would probably agree.  It has long been said that those who contribute more to society receive less.  We value the wrong parts of society. 

Take it to an extreme, footballers vs nurses.  Who would you rather was so well rewarded that they would always be there?

Nurses.

That doesn’t change the fact that in the grand scheme of things teachers are far from the top of the list of those who should be kicking off and messing other people about.

That isn’t to say that they don’t necessarily deserve more, but then most workers do but life is life.

Are they paid what they are worth in an ideal world? Possibly not.

Are they actually better off than lots of others who are just cracking on with things?  Yes

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Not a lot of sympathy on social media for the teachers except their families ,money grabbers, inconsiderate & didn’t they have enough time off last 3 years already are some of the more pleasant ones!!

I've seen plenty. A lot of people are frustrated but it's in the government's have to fix this. 

Looming on the horizon is the civil service pay deal. I guess we'll be finding out what they actually do if they go on strike.

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But teachers, nurses etc aren't in the real world they have a monopolistic employer. 

The concept you refer to is Monopsony not Monopoly, a single buyer of labour exploiting their position to pay below the ‘market rate’, classic market failure, wages held below the market rate leading to fewer workers being incentivized into the market leading to labour shortages.  See teaching and nursing for current monopsony examples, both undervalued/underpaid, both facing shortages.  I blame the teachers.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Asthehills said:

Nurses.

That doesn’t change the fact that in the grand scheme of things teachers are far from the top of the list of those who should be kicking off and messing other people about.

That isn’t to say that they don’t necessarily deserve more, but then most workers do but life is life.

Are they paid what they are worth in an ideal world? Possibly not.

Are they actually better off than lots of others who are just cracking on with things?  Yes

Who teaches the nurses... Teachers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

After I’ve just had 7.6% backed a year + 2 days extra holidays & if I don’t get more your kids will suffer!!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/union-action-could-see-schools-closed-to-certain-year-groups/

Jesrsey schools are open but you probably know that - please wash your curtains they’re going to get peppered over the next few days as you sadly and predictably twitch the shit out of them….

• Like 1