Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

14 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

It’s a great imaginary job they’ve created for themselves just to try to prove that the mythical jobs they make reference to actually exist. 

Having to convince yourself that anyone who claims to have a good private sector job is actually a lying teacher because you've gotten so used to be being fleeced by your own boss is pretty sad.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Great to see them reducing headcount.

It would kind of suggest the (very well paid) people who had these jobs before were on a pretty cushy number though?

These aren’t small schools either.

Two primary schools in the Isle of Man will have new head teachers from January.

Max Kelly will take over at Willaston, and Adrian Shorthouse at Scoill Yn Jubilee, after their current head teachers Rose Burton and Jayne Adamson retire on 31 December.

Mr Kelly and Mr Shorthouse will both continue in their current positions, Mr Kelly as head teacher of both Laxey and Dhoon and Mr Shorthouse as head teacher of Kewaigue.

Max Kelly said: ‘I am very excited to get started and get to know everyone involved at Willaston School, which I know has a great reputation. I am experienced in balancing my time effectively and I am really looking forward to the challenges ahead.

‘In the initial months I will endeavour to meet as many people as possible and would happily welcome any parents, carers or valued members of the school community to say hello.’

Mr Shorthouse said: ‘I am really looking forward to being part of the team at Scoill Yn Jubilee.

'Getting to know the children, parents and staff in the coming months will be a priority, to ensure the school goes from strength-to-strength, whilst maintaining my relationships and continuing to support and develop Kewaigue, so it continues to thrive.’

Julie Edge MHK, Minster for Education, Sport and Culture, said: ‘Mr Kelly and Mr Shorthouse are both experienced and innovative head teachers and we are confident that all schools will thrive under their leadership. I would like to personally thank Mrs Burton and Mrs Adamson for their hard work, passion, determination and leadership.’

Both will spend time getting to know their new schools in the coming months before taking up their positions on 1 January.”

Edited by Asthehills

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Would you pay more tax so that teachers can be paid a better wage?

Yes, I would pay more tax to support front line workers in teaching, nursing, police and fire services and those in social care.

It's a price for a better society.

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

I very much doubt that.

I worked for a US multinational and the culture was to strive to succeed. If there's a job to be done use your initiative and get on with it. In business terms it's known as empowerment. 

Ah yes empowerment...  how do get someone to do more work for less money through the creation of an intrinsic sense of a job well done.

As for employment rights the US is atrocious for them...  would you, or others on here, like to see Manx employment law matched to the US?

2 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

It’s a great imaginary job they’ve created for themselves just to try to prove that the mythical jobs they make reference to actually exist. 

If it was an imaginary job then I would have really gone for it and claimed I had a final salary pension scheme and upped the bonus even further.

I have outlined my package in this thread and I don't feel compelled to prove the accuracy of that to you.

I have worked for private sector employers who haven't been so generous but there is a reason why I left them and now have a good package. 

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

Having to convince yourself that anyone who claims to have a good private sector job is actually a lying teacher because you've gotten so used to be being fleeced by your own boss is pretty sad.

I’m just glad my children finished their education at KWC with teachers like you about!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I do get generous sickness benefits because my employer actually cares about its employees.

All you seem to be doing is boasting about your own job to be honest. Very few private sector people get guaranteed bonuses regardless of their personal performance as you seem to claim that you get. If companies make a profit then there can be individual bonuses paid but very few get a 10% or 20% bonus just for being employed as you seem to infer. Less still get car allowances. If you’re getting £450 a month as a car allowance it’s just a tax dodge. Nobody needs a company car in the IOM and few people do get either a car or a payment in lieu. You seem to be using the case of your own well remunerated tax dodging salary and claiming it to be an example of what everyone gets when you appear to be the exception not the norm. 

Edited by Newsdesk
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

All you seem to be doing is boasting about your own job to be honest. Very few private sector people get guaranteed bonuses regardless of their personal performance as you seem to claim that you get. If companies make a profit then there can be individual bonuses paid but very few get a 10% or 20% bonus just for being employed as you seem to infer. Less still get car allowances. If you’re getting £450 a month as a car allowance it’s just a tax dodge. Nobody needs a company car in the IOM and few people do get either a car or a payment in lieu. You seem to be using the case of your own well remunerated tax dodging salary and claiming it to be an example of what everyone gets when you appear to be the exception not the norm. 

It'd be a lot closer to the norm if people stopped rolling over and doing extra hours for nowt.

• Confused 2

48 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Ah yes empowerment...  how do get someone to do more work for less money through the creation of an intrinsic sense of a job well done.

As for employment rights the US is atrocious for them...  would you, or others on here, like to see Manx employment law matched to the US?

I didn't say empowerment meant more work for less money. It's basically just the reverse of the pervading public sector jobsworth attitude. I also think "intrinsic" is incorrect. After all, all work is honourable...

Most folks seem surprised to find in the USA there is no legal requirement on employers to provide employees with annual paid holiday. The going rate seems to be two weeks. Which they tend to save up to make travelling worth while.

Just now, HeliX said:

It'd be a lot closer to the norm if people stopped rolling over and doing extra hours for nowt.

The point has been well made above. Most people in professional roles aren’t paid by the hour like labourers. If teachers wish to be paid only by the hours they work then maybe they’d be a bit skint between July and September. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Did I say it was a guaranteed bonus? Half is linked to my performance against objectives the other is linked to the business performance. If I don't perform and the company doesn't perform I don't get a bonus.

I would however get a bonus if I hit my objectives but the business underperformed. 

It is generous but I work for a progressive employer who sees value in looking after its employees.  They don't want to see people burnt out or working long hours just for the sake of it.

Even the MD won't give up their personal life for the business.  Often meetings don't take place at the end of the day as they need to go and collect their children from school.

This isn't about boasting.  I am simply trying to show that some employers care about their employees and get much more out of them by looking after them. 

What is worse in your mind?  Teachers and their pay and holidays or me in a private sector job with a great package?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Newsdesk said:

The point has been well made above. Most people in professional roles aren’t paid by the hour like labourers. If teachers wish to be paid only by the hours they work then maybe they’d be a bit skint between July and September. 

Plus the idea that they've suddenly woken up to find that they're somehow putting in hours they are not being paid for is total bollox.

They knew exactly what they were getting into when they started training for it.

End of...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

Half our staff have fully expensed vehicles.  It’s not that uncommon and not really a tax dodge these days as you get stung for “benefit in kind”

1 minute ago, manxman1980 said:

Did I say it was a guaranteed bonus? Half is linked to my performance against objectives the other is linked to the business performance. If I don't perform and the company doesn't perform I don't get a bonus.

I would however get a bonus if I hit my objectives but the business underperformed. 

It is generous but I work for a progressive employer who sees value in looking after its employees.  They don't want to see people burnt out or working long hours just for the sake of it.

Even the MD won't give up their personal life for the business.  Often meetings don't take place at the end of the day as they need to go and collect their children from school.

This isn't about boasting.  I am simply trying to show that some employers care about their employees and get much more out of them by looking after them. 

What is worse in your mind?  Teachers and their pay and holidays or me in a private sector job with a great package?

Your completely made up job sounds lovely. Are they recruiting for any more imaginary employees currently? 

• Confused 2