Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

9 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

The point has been well made above. Most people in professional roles aren’t paid by the hour like labourers. If teachers wish to be paid only by the hours they work then maybe they’d be a bit skint between July and September. 

Exactly.  It’s the people who seem adamant that people be paid for only the hours they are contracted, rather than to do their job to the best of their ability who are the issue.

I think there is a term for those people.  They are “plodders” and the world needs them but I am glad I am not one.

The wife is and it makes her happy as she has no aspirations for more responsibility or more money, but I would go out of my mind with boredom.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Plus the idea that they've suddenly woken up to find that they're somehow putting in hours they are not being paid for is total bollox.

They knew exactly what they were getting into when they started training for it.

End of...

Did they have a crystal ball to tell them that the salaries would spectacularly fail to keep up with inflation and the cost of living?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, HeliX said:

There's a whole world outside of work...

Who said there wasn’t?  That doesn’t mean you should do as little as you can contractually get away with AND expect to be well rewarded.

Some people obviously get as much satisfaction as they do from cash from feeling like they have achieved something beyond what was expected from them.

Others obviously don’t and spend half the day waiting for home time.

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Exactly.  It’s the people who seem adamant that people be paid for only the hours they are contracted, rather than to do their job to the best of their ability who are the issue.

In my experience the lower down the ladder you are the more your pay is directly linked to the exact hours that you work. Teachers wanting to be paid for the hours they work and also be paid throughout the summer when the hours that they work is zero looks a bit optimistic in context. It’s either one or the other. Not both.

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Who said there wasn’t?  That doesn’t mean you should do as little as you can contractually get away with AND expect to be well rewarded.

Some people obviously get as much satisfaction as they do from cash from feeling like they have achieved something beyond what was expected from them.

Others obviously don’t and spend half the day waiting for home time.

"That doesn’t mean you should do as little as you can contractually get away with AND expect to be well rewarded"

I haven't said that, I said that I do (and would encourage others to do) exactly what they're paid for and not extra unless they're being properly compensated.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Like anybody else did...?

Welcome to Reality Land!

Other people would be justified in objecting to pay erosion too.

EDIT: Also the point is that individuals in private businesses can negotiate their own pay, or change to another firm that will pay better, etc. People in the public sector can only unionise and take action.

Edited by HeliX

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Other people just get on with it.

Someone has already asked and was ignored.  “If” they get an inflation linked raise and then next year we hit recession - would you expect them to accept a pay cut?

By "get on with it" you mean argue their own pay and evidence their pay demands with the work they've done? You know, things that teachers and other public sector workers are unable to do.

EDIT: re: the question, probably? They accepted a lot of pay erosion before they took action.

Edited by HeliX
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

Your completely made up job sounds lovely. Are they recruiting for any more imaginary employees currently? 

Would you like to be considered for an Accountancy Apprenticeship?

Otherwise we have just completed our recruitment activities having filled the positions of Receptionist and CSR Coordinator. 

The only problem is I don't think you would like it here.  Probably too "woke" for you so you would either quit or get dismissed.