Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

56 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

A Banker like you would know that 6% is nothing in the current climate mind you.

I don’t know what planet you are on where businesses are dishing out 6 percent increases on top of absorbing massive energy increases RTC.

Maybe a few financial plaices are but it certainly isn’t common.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t know what planet you are on where businesses are dishing out 6 percent increases on top of absorbing massive energy increases RTC.

Something's a bit fishy about this post. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Fully agree that’s an average I don’t know anyone who has got anywhere near that. In fact I don’t know that many people who got anything. When do I get 40% of my salary paid to me to make up for all the pay rises I didn’t get in the last 20 years? 

2 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

ONS Labour Report 13/9/2022

“Average regular pay growth for the private sector was 6%”.

Shall I add the rest of that quote for you?

Average regular pay growth for the private sector was 6.0% in May to July 2022”

So over a 3 month period in the first proper summer after COVID in a report averaged across all sectors that states a significant and obvious rise in Hospitality compared to the previous year?

Is that the bit you quoted to prove you imaginary point?  Oh and let’s not forget it a report based on a small sample size, and from another country.

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Shall I add the rest of that quote for you?

Average regular pay growth for the private sector was 6.0% in May to July 2022”

So over a 3 month period in the first proper summer after COVID in a report averaged across all sectors that states a significant and obvious rise in Hospitality compared to the previous year?

Is that the bit you quoted to prove you imaginary point?  Oh and let’s not forget it a report based on a small sample size, and from another country.

Shall I explain how it works for you?

The 3 month period, May to July, is not an absolute reference, you appear to have interpreted this as wages have grown 6% in those 3 months, a easy mistake to make but suggesting potentially an annualised rate of growth of perhaps 24%.  The ONS uses a 3 month rolling average to iron out any potential peaks or troughs in the data.  Therefore the comparison is not May 2022 to July 2022 but a comparison of the 3 month average rate of wage growth from May-July 2021 to May-July 2022.  According to the ONS, this was 5.5% across the economy, 6% in the private sector, 2% in the public.

Small sample size?  The ONS surveys 9,000 firms, employing c13.8 million employees.  The response rate was 81%.  Perhaps 11 million employees covered.

Covid issues?  The ONS do acknowledge this, but suggest the impact is somewhat minimal, “Previously we noted that certain sectors were affected by a small amount of base effect because of the winter 2020 to 2021 lockdown. This is now having a minimal impact on the growth rates because the number of employees on furlough dropped from May 2021, however a number of employees did continue to be on the furlough scheme until it ended on 30 September 2021.”

Hospitality?  That is a fair point, the sector that includes hospitality did grow by greater than the average.  The ONS state “The wholesaling, retailing, hotels and restaurants sector saw the largest regular growth rate at 7.0%, followed by the finance and business services sector at 5.9% and construction sector at 5.4%.” 

Another country?  That is potentially a valid point but that country is the UK, a nation that has more impact upon our domestic economy than any other.  A nation that has control over our Monetary Policy, considerable influence over direct (NI) and indirect (VAT) taxation, that we rely on for food, materials and energy and that a significant number of Island employees work for parent companies based in the UK.

14 hours ago, Asthehills said:

To reiterate, the ONS has surveyed 9,000 firms, of which 81% responded, covering over 10 million employees.  They believe the impact of Covid lockdowns and furlough on the data is now minimal.  They have compared wages in the period May-July 2021 with same period in 2022, utilising a 3 month rolling average to smooth out the data.  In that time they report that wages in the private sector have grown 6%.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

IOMG should be offering a lump sum rise of say £2k so those on low pay get c10% & the many on £100k get c2%, these large across the board rises for public sector are unaffordable.

When you factor in extra NI & pension costs the overall costs to taxpayers of 6% rises is more like 8%

1 hour ago, Banker said:

IOMG should be offering a lump sum rise of say £2k so those on low pay get c10% & the many on £100k get c2%, these large across the board rises for public sector are unaffordable.

When you factor in extra NI & pension costs the overall costs to taxpayers of 6% rises is more like 8%

You are getting closer to an approach I agree with and not even just for public sector workers.

Percentage pay rises across the board always benefit those on high pay more than those on low pay.

A lump sum payment focused on lifting those on the lower pay is a better approach and distributes wealth more fairly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

You are getting closer to an approach I agree with and not even just for public sector workers.

Percentage pay rises across the board always benefit those on high pay more than those on low pay.

A lump sum payment focused on lifting those on the lower pay is a better approach and distributes wealth more fairly. 

If the fully loaded head cost of public servants was broadcast into the public domain, including items like the way they take more sick days, then the true costs of these worthies would be scary...

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, P.K. said:

If the fully loaded head cost of public servants was broadcast into the public domain, including items like the way they take more sick days, then the true costs of these worthies would be scary...

Surprisingly if you make an effort to improve health and wellbeing, including financial wellbeing, and the work environment then absence rates fall.

It's not rocket science and it's something than many private sector companies are doing already.  The problem is the public sector would be heavily criticised even though such initiatives have been proven to deliver results in the private sector. 

• Like 2