Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Hands up anyone here who has consistently had inflation linked or higher pay rises without taking on any more responsibility or being promoted?

Hands up who has had one this year?

Apparently the average uplift for doing nothing different to last year is 6%

Has Manx Gas even now got its workers back to where they were before Covid when they forced them to take a 10% cut across the board just as lockdown hit? I didn’t see many of them moaning on social media about a negative pay increase like the teachers are. The teachers have it all so bad! 😂

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Hands up anyone here who has consistently had inflation linked or higher pay rises without taking on any more responsibility or being promoted?

We are looking at 5% in January 2023.

In January 2022 I received a 6% increase and whilst my role had not changed this was partly in recognition of my performance.  The average was around 4%.

So in January it would have been around the rate of inflation if not slightly higher.   In January it probably won't be near inflation but given the overall benefits I receive I am not going to complain.

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Has Manx Gas even now got its workers back to where they were before Covid when they forced them to take a 10% cut across the board just as lockdown hit? I didn’t see many of them moaning on social media about a negative pay increase like the teachers are. The teachers have it all so bad! 😂

Fair point.  Let’s also factor in the thousands of people whose income took a massive hit for two years thanks to the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Me. Sometimes had to change employer to get it, though.

1 hour ago, manxman1980 said:

Surprisingly if you make an effort to improve health and wellbeing, including financial wellbeing, and the work environment then absence rates fall.

It's not rocket science and it's something than many private sector companies are doing already.  The problem is the public sector would be heavily criticised even though such initiatives have been proven to deliver results in the private sector. 

That’s bollocks , public sector workers always take lots more sick days & have for many years. It’s nothing to do with pay just an entitlement they expect & no real checks or disciplinary action. In the private sector a lot of them would be actively managed out

9 hours ago, BriT said:

Fully agree that’s an average I don’t know anyone who has got anywhere near that. In fact I don’t know that many people who got anything. When do I get 40% of my salary paid to me to make up for all the pay rises I didn’t get in the last 20 years? 

That’s generally about the pay bump you can get from moving jobs in some industries. 

21 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t know what planet you are on where businesses are dishing out 6 percent increases on top of absorbing massive energy increases RTC.

Maybe a few financial plaices are but it certainly isn’t common.

If a firm won’t give you the pay rise, another will happily give you far beyond. More employers are realising that it’s cheaper to find that raise than to train someone else. 

There simply aren’t enough staff these days. Look at the number of vacancies, vs the number of unemployed here. There are far more jobs than people spare. 

As a side note, is plaice a fish know for financial acuity?

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

If a firm won’t give you the pay rise, another will happily give you far beyond. More employers are realising that it’s cheaper to find that raise than to train someone else. 

There simply aren’t enough staff these days. Look at the number of vacancies, vs the number of unemployed here. There are far more jobs than people spare. 

Yes I know that.  You are really backing up the fact that 6 percent doesn’t happen for most people if they just continue to do the same job.

As for picking up on an autocorrect error form nearly 24 hours ago - well done you sir.

PS - your sentence taking the piss out of my oversight makes no sense.  I think there maybe an autocorrect/typo/grammatical error in there.

5 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

But most private sector companies are making a profit & can therefore afford higher rises but they’re certainly not giving out rises at inflation levels.

The difference is that our bloated public sector is funded by taxpayers & therefore these unfunded rises being demanded can only lead to higher taxes & reduced services. Let’s see what rises the public sector get in UK!!

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

Yes I know that.  You are really backing up the fact that 6 percent doesn’t happen for most people if they just continue to do the same job.

As for picking up on an autocorrect error form nearly 24 hours ago - well done you sir.

PS - your sentence taking the piss out of my oversight makes no sense.  I think there maybe an autocorrect/typo/grammatical error in there.

From people I know, 10% earlier this year wasn’t unusual for their annual pay review, their employers were keen to get it locked in as they anticipated it getting worse rather than better. 

Oh my cod, you’re really upset about a hasty fish joke. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Banker said:

But most private sector companies are making a profit & can therefore afford higher rises but they’re certainly not giving out rises at inflation levels.

The difference is that our bloated public sector is funded by taxpayers & therefore these unfunded rises being demanded can only lead to higher taxes & reduced services. Let’s see what rises the public sector get in UK!!

It’s a genius idea really. 

If nobody wants to work for what you’ll pay, you don’t have to pay anyone at all as they’ll all have buggered off for greener pastures.

Then you can employ a committee to work out what went wrong. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

From people I know, 10% earlier this year wasn’t unusual for their annual pay review, their employers were keen to get it locked in as they anticipated it getting worse rather than better. 

Oh my cod, you’re really upset about a hasty fish joke. 

Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t overskate their own pay rise when in a group of mates?

• Confused 1