Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Do they by any chance get a 60 minute lunch, and then two 15 minute breaks?

If so that might explain any confusion.

Hmmm, not sure 90 minute lunch breaks can be confused with 60 minutes plus 2x15 but fair enough.  Quick google search:

https://crhs.sch.im/pages/index/view/id/225/About Castle Rushen High School

https://rgs.sch.im/pages/index/view/id/268/School Day

https://snhs.sch.im/pages/index/view/id/39/Times of the School Day

None of which suggest a 90 minute lunch break, but maybe Banker doesn’t regard 1.5 hours as 90 minutes.  Maybe he’ll provide some evidence to back up his claim, otherwise it will be another of his made up facts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Hmmm, not sure 90 minute lunch breaks can be confused with 60 minutes plus 2x15 but fair enough.  Quick google search:

None of which suggest a 90 minute lunch break, but maybe Banker doesn’t regard 1.5 hours as 90 minutes.  Maybe he’ll provide some evidence to back up his claim, otherwise it will be another of his made up facts.

So 90 minutes of break in less than 7 hours 😂.

I think this might be the problem with teachers and their expectations.  Many of them have only ever been students or teachers and so have no idea how the real world works.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I think this might be the problem with teachers and their expectations.  Many of them have only ever been students or teachers and so have no idea how the real world works.

Exactly so about 5.5 hours work a day with 13 weeks holidays, unlimited sickies, final salary pension & starting salary of £36.5k , it’s a tough gig😀

12 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So we can draw a line under this, could you just indicate which of the aforementioned schools have breaks that total your 90 minutes?  Unless you are also making things up.

Just now, Banker said:

Exactly so about 5.5 hours work a day with 13 weeks holidays, unlimited sickies, final salary pension & starting salary of £36.5k , it’s a tough gig😀

I am

not sure that is entirely accurate to be honest, but even if you allow for 20 percent more Woking hours through a year than that, they are still greedy barstewards in the current climate and completely out of touch with reality

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

So we can draw a line under this, could you just indicate which of the aforementioned schools have breaks that total your 90 minutes?  Unless you are also making things up.

Ah ok . I just double checked and it only 75 minutes,  or 80 minutes so two and a half times what most people get in an 8 hour day 😂

Edited by Asthehills

25 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I am not sure that is entirely accurate to be honest, but even if you allow for 20 percent more Woking hours through a year than that, they are still greedy barstewards in the current climate and completely out of touch with reality

At least you’ve found somebody to agree with you. What a rare event. At the end of the day the teachers at least deserve a pay rise over and above the CS who declared 6% today. It doesn’t really matter what hours they work as at least they work. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BriT said:

At least you’ve found somebody to agree with you. What a rare event. At the end of the day the teachers at least deserve a pay rise over and above the CS who declared 6% today. It doesn’t really matter what hours they work as at least they work. 

They have had a number of offers now that were accepted by two of the unions.

There is one union still complaining.  Does anyone have definite figures for what percentage of the actual teachers on island have voted for strike action?

This one Union, that doesn’t represent all teachers, keeps going on a “x% of respondents” but that still doesn’t let us know how many have actually responded and what percentage of the workforce who will benefit it actually is.

The teachers I know are happy with what has been offered and embarrassed  by the current action.  I haven’t seen them since this escalation was announced but based on recent conversations would expect they are embarrassed to be associated with it.

The morning break is non existent as you are merely getting wrapping up the last lesson and getting ready for the next one. It’s similar for lunch, you are lucky to get 30 minutes and regularly eat lunch whilst sorting emails and preparing for P5. That’s if you aren’t taking a lunchtime club, where in that case you don’t get a break at all. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

How many lessons are teachers contracted to teach each week. A school time table of lessons is meaningless if teachers only have 20 lessons a week. I worked twelve hours a days, on a rota of three days on and three days off, If I still had the weeks rota sheet, you would think we were working 120hrs a week without context.

24 minutes ago, Bill1977 said:

The morning break is non existent as you are merely getting wrapping up the last lesson and getting ready for the next one. It’s similar for lunch, you are lucky to get 30 minutes and regularly eat lunch whilst sorting emails and preparing for P5. That’s if you aren’t taking a lunchtime club, where in that case you don’t get a break at all. 

You know that’s still more than lots of others get, and that it’s really not u common to eat lunch at your desk, or while checking emails, driving between jobs etc.

I am not saying it’s right, but to day you are “lucky to get 30 minutes and regularly eat lunch whilst sorting emails and preparing for p5” really isn’t going to get much sympathy from people who only get that as their entitlement and then have all the issues you explain as well but who also earn less and work many more hours at all hours of the day and night

14 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Ah ok . I just double checked and it only 75 minutes,  or 80 minutes so two and a half times what most people get in an 8 hour day 😂

Private sector employee and I get an hour break for lunch plus being office based often have periods talking to colleagues which you could fairly argue as breaks.

DSE regulations also recommend frequent short breaks from using such equipment. 

I can also work flexibly so if I shorten my lunch break I can start or finish earlier.

Sucks to be you!  Suggest you go and renegotiate your terms and conditions of employment if they are so bad.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Private sector employee and I get an hour break for lunch plus being office based often have periods talking to colleagues which you could fairly argue as breaks.

I can also work flexibly so if I shorten my lunch break I can start or finish earlier.

Sucks to be you!  Suggest you go and renegotiate your terms and conditions of employment if they are so bad.

I can do what I like these days.  I am only stating my experiences of numerous workplaces over the last 30 years.

20 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

What you really need is the public sector flexible hours contract whereby you come in about 8am & then proceed to eat your breakfast whilst surfing internet & chatting to colleagues. About 9 you then start working , go out at lunchtime for 30 minutes & eat lunch at desk for 30 minutes & leave at 4 or accumulate hours as most do & get an extra 10 days holiday each year!!