Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

5 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I can do what I like these days.  I am only stating my experiences of numerous workplaces over the last 30 years.

Private sector employers are clearly becoming much more progressive than they have been in the past then.  Probably a good idea to consider why that is?  Some is a response to legislation but increasingly its because the job market is very competitive and attracting, recruiting and retaining employees on minimal terms and conditions means you will soon be out of business. 

Unless you can find sadists like Banker of course...

• Haha 2

If people listen to this at face value, do they honestly not think it’s a fair offer ?

Offers of between 8 and 11 percent, starting on 36k, an increase in the “management allowance” all ON TOP of the increase they got last year when the Uk didn’t.

According to the minister that puts them on London Fringe on the UK pay scale (which they are tied to) PLUS a 4% IOM allowance.

Surely that’s very generous and their desire to hold out for 30 percent (when they have had an average of 12 percent over over two years) is absolutely ludicrous in any financial environment, never mind this one.

https://www.manxradio.com/podcasts/manx-newscast/episode/departmental-debrief-julie-edge/?fbclid=IwAR0Uhi07kF36gfkF4ORSeL8EWeZ7Da4SsEMjLf3iNJUVOUNG-QPObVVPraM

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t know, but do teachers get other breaks beyond the hour lunch in their working day?

I know I never have, and only get half an hour for lunch.

3 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I can do what I like these days.  I am only stating my experiences of numerous workplaces over the last 30 years.

You have worked for 30 years and have never taken a break outside your lunch half hour.  That is an incredible achievement.  Or a lie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Offers of between 8 and 11 percent, starting on 36k, an increase in the “management allowance” all ON TOP of the increase they got last year when the Uk didn’t.

Teachers in the Isle of Man start on £26,948, rising to a maximum of £38,174. This is the London Fringe pay, and which still doesn't take into account housing costs here.

If it is "fair", then a) why can't our schools recruit and keep staff, and b) why are so many teachers prepared to lose pay to argue against it.

12 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

You have worked for 30 years and have never taken a break outside your lunch half hour.  That is an incredible achievement.  Or a lie.

Of course they've never been to the loo outside of designated breaks. It's the only way to explain why they're full of it.

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Teachers in the Isle of Man start on £26,948, rising to a maximum of £38,174. This is the London Fringe pay, and which still doesn't take into account housing costs here.

If it is "fair", then a) why can't our schools recruit and keep staff, and b) why are so many teachers prepared to lose pay to argue against it.

Current salary and recruitment issues are irrelevant, because the NEW terms that have been offered and which would go some way towards rectifying the issues you describe have been rejected by a greedy few, and so no jobs have been advertised at the new rates.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

House prices are a lot higher in 'London fringe' and you'd receive a lot lower multiple mortgage offering (i.e. not be able to purchase as expensive a house)

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

No they're not, but I suppose it avoids you actually answering my question...

It does answer your question.  We don’t know if recruitment will be an issue on the new wage, because we haven’t been able to try it yet because they keep rejecting the offers.

52 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

You seem to keep basing your argument on the current situation, rather than what has been offered?

Houses and the cost of living in general in London Fringe are mainly higher than here.  Plus our are being offered an addition 4% IOM allowance, so it is taking into account housing costs here (even though it shouldn’t have to)

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

You seem to keep basing your argument on the current situation, rather than what has been offered?

The current pay is unattractive, and they've offered 8% when inflation is over 10%. I'm not convinced yet another below-inflation rise is a game changer.

So, are you going to answer the question?

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

The current pay is unattractive, and they've offered 8% when inflation is over 10%. I'm not convinced yet another below-inflation rise is a game changer.

So, are you going to answer the question?

I can’t answer why they can’t recruit, be m wise they haven’t given it a chance to see if it works.

”so many prepared to lose pay over it”. How many are there, no one has actually said? Until they actually do it rather than threatening to (and risking major public backlash) it’s just a threat made by one particularly hobby union rep who has wound up a number of greedy members and brainwashed them to think that if they stamp their feet hard enough giv will just buckle and magic up some non existent budget while at the same time risking every other union expecting to be able to do the same, this raising inflation further and saddling is with unsustainable future salary bills.

Does that answer you question?