Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I can’t answer why they can’t recruit, be m wise they haven’t given it a chance to see if it works.

So you think a below inflation increase on an unattractive wage will change things?

Perhaps you can explain why you think this?

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

”so many prepared to lose pay over it”. How many are there, no one has actually said? Until they actually do it rather than threatening to (and risking major public backlash)

NASUWT members have already voted for strike action, so clearly those members are so dissatisfied they're prepared to lose pay over it.

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

greedy members and brainwashed

Oh please.

10 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

this raising inflation further

As a separate issue, if you could please explain why a pay rise "raises inflation further", I'm all ears.

Odd, too, how this argument doesn't ever seem to apply to, say, Aidan Baglow's wages.

Edited by Ringy Rose

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

So you think a below inflation increase on an unattractive wage will change things?

Perhaps you can explain why you think this?

NASUWT members have already voted for strike action, so clearly those members are so dissatisfied they're prepared to lose pay over it.

Oh please.

They won’t strike.  They are l ok suing games.

No way will any significant number actually feel strongly enough to strike and lose pay.  There is zero chance of a better offer whereas am accepting this one which is presumably sustainable might give DESC time to work on something else for next year. 

When did NASUWT actually last accept any offer put to them?

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

As a separate issue, if you could please explain why a pay rise "raises inflation further", I'm all ears.

Here’s hoping you aren’t an economics teacher 🙄😂

Why do you think internet rates are going up? It’s to reduce the money in people’s pocket and so reduce discretionary spending and hopefully bring inflation under control.  Giving everyone more money to compensate for high inflation drives it up further.

Edited by Asthehills

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

No way will any significant number actually feel strongly enough to strike and lose pay.

That's exactly what they've voted for about a week ago.

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

So another question you won't answer.

We're getting quite the collection!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

That's exactly what they've voted for about a week ago.

So another question you won't answer.

We're getting quite the collection!

How many teachers as a percentage of those employed on the island voted for strike action?  I still haven’t seen an answer to that.

As to another question I won’t answer.  I literally answered it (or a theory of it) in the post you quoted 😂😂

Get back to me when you can answer mine.  

How many teaching staff have actually voted for strike action, and how many of the members that voted for it are actually in current full time employment with DESC?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Higher wages leading to inflation has been debunked many times.  For higher wages to lead to higher price level there needs to be an increase in the money supply.  Higher wages have little impact on the money supply, the ability of high street banks to create money does, hence manipulation of interest rates by central banks.  Glad you aren’t an economics teacher.

The myth of wage push inflation

Milton Friedman: It is always and everywhere, a monetary phenomenon. It's always and everywhere, a result of too much money, of a more rapid increase in the quantity of money than an output. Moreover, in the modern era, the important next step is to recognize that today, governments control the quantity of money. So that as a result, inflation in the United States is made in Washington and nowhere else.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Why do you think internet rates are going up? It’s to reduce the money in people’s pocket and so reduce discretionary spending and hopefully bring inflation under control.  Giving everyone more money to compensate for high inflation drives it up further.

We're expected to believe that, on the one hand, inflation is a blip caused by Putin and, on the other hand, that the plebs expecting their wages to match inflation is the real problem.

Oddly, this theory doesn't ever seem to apply to the financiers who set interest rates. It's just the plebs who it applies to.

In reality, the theory that wage rises cause inflation is bollocks. What *does* cause inflation is central banks printing money with gay abandon and distorting the amount of money in the system. Which is precisely what they've been doing for ten years of quantitative easing.

And, amazingly enough, higher interest rates mostly benefit the people sitting on stockpiles of cash that the Central banks printed out of thin air. Just fancy that.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

We're expected to believe that, on the one hand, inflation is a blip caused by Putin and, on the other hand, that the plebs expecting their wages to match inflation is the real problem.

Oddly, this theory doesn't ever seem to apply to the financiers who set interest rates. It's just the plebs who it applies to.

Fair enough.

Is the answer coming in another post?

27 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

And yet giving workers in the Finance, Insurance and IT sectors double digit pay rises doesn't do that somehow? Is it only public sector pay rises that affect inflation?

Edited by Newbie
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Fair enough.

Is the answer coming in another post?

I edited to answer your edit.

17 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

How many teachers as a percentage of those employed on the island voted for strike action?  I still haven’t seen an answer to that.

It's irrelevant, as only NASUWT members voted on strike action.

Of course if there are only 3 NASUWT members on the island then strike action will make feck all difference. And when deciding to strike, they'd know this.

But judging by how the work to rule is impacting places like Ballakermeen, I'm guessing the NASUWT have a significant number of members. AFAIK the NASUWT are the biggest union.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

Doesn’t tell us anything really.

They represent more than 600 teachers, but can’t give an exact figure.

74% of “respondents” voted in favour of strike action.  So that could be anywhere between 3 people if 4 responded and 481 if they actually have 650 members who all responded.

• Like 2