Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

16 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Of course if there are only 3 NASUWT members on the island then strike action will make feck all difference. And when deciding to strike, they'd know this.

NASUWT claim themselves that: The NASUWT is the largest teachers’ union in the Isle of Man (IOM), representing over 600 teachers and lecturers across the island.  We know from Tynwald figures that the number of teachers and lecturers employed by DESC is usually just under 1000.  Of whom some will be in leadership positions and so members of NAHT, rather than NASUWT.  This article claims around 150 for NAHT, so 600 out of 850 seems a good rough guess.

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

NASUWT claim themselves that: The NASUWT is the largest teachers’ union in the Isle of Man (IOM), representing over 600 teachers and lecturers across the island.  We know from Tynwald figures that the number of teachers and lecturers employed by DESC is usually just under 1000.  Of whom some will be in leadership positions and so members of NAHT, rather than NASUWT.  This article claims around 150 for NAHT, so 600 out of 850 seems a good rough guess.

But still doesn’t tell us how many have voted for action.

I have a feeling if more than half had responded they would be shouting about it.

Gut feeling is that significantly less than a third of teachers have actually voted to strike.  Plus, they won’t actually do it anyway

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

No they're not. Look at what "London fringe" actually is: it's places like Brentwood, High Wycombe, Aylesbury.

I think you need to look at prices of Brentwood & High Wycombe. And you can't exactly compare to Little Switzerland here, as in them locations you can't have a 30% reduction in house prices by jumping in the car for 20 minutes.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

But still doesn’t tell us how many have voted for action.

I have a feeling if more than half had responded they would be shouting about it.

Gut feeling is that significantly less than a third of teachers have actually voted to strike.  Plus, they won’t actually do it anyway

Is it not a bit like the Brexit vote, doesn’t matter how many voted, just that a majority of the votes cast did?  There is probably a minimum threshold in law, I can only assume that that minimum has been reached or the potential strike action would be deemed illegal.

EDIT: a little digging suggests the turnout threshold in the UK is a minimum of 50% of eligible voters.  Unsure what the IoM law is but can only assume similar.

Industrial action ballots and notice to employers

Edited by Meoir Shee
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

In the UK there are thresholds of at least 50% of eligible members (not votes cast), and one presumes similar here. At least half of votes cast will have been in favour of strike action, and the NASUWT say 86% were. So even if turnout was 50%, you're still looking at 300-400 of the island's 1000 teaching staff being unhappy enough to strike. I'd assume turnout to be much higher than that.

And as DESC will be given enough information to know it's a valid ballot, and DESC are not trying to claim its a minority of staff, one assumes turnout was much higher than 50%.

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

I think you need to look at prices of Brentwood & High Wycombe.

I have, I used to live near High Wycombe. A 2-bed purpose-built flat is about £200k and a 3-bed semi is about £375k, which is about what you'll pay in Douglas.

The way Edge and the DESC carry on you'd think "London fringe" was stupid south east money, when actually it's about what you'd pay here. There's a reason why "London fringe" is several thousand lower than Outer London or Inner London weighting.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

have, I used to live near High Wycombe. A 2-bed purpose-built flat is about £200k and a 3-bed semi is about £375k, which is about what you'll pay in Douglas.

The way Edge and the DESC carry on you'd think "London fringe" was stupid south east money, when actually it's about what you'd pay here. There's a reason why "London fringe" is several thousand lower than Outer London or Inner London weighting.

Doesn’t that make it right then?  Especially with another 4% on top?  What would teachers here expect more?

And you can be damn sure that if the majority of teachers, or even the majority of their own members had voted to strike they would have said so.

”74% of respondents” speaks absolute volumes.  It’s considerably less than half of the islands teachers 

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

74% of respondents” speaks absolute volumes.  It’s considerably less than half of the islands teachers 

Action short of a strike had 94% support on a 66% turnout, and NASUWT claim 86% in favour of strike on the same ballot.

So you're looking at about 400 actively voting in favour of strike action.

If 40% of the workforce is that pissed off then listening to them is usually a good idea.

Mad how the Brexit "mandate" was on a lower percentage!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Action short of a strike had 94% support on a 66% turnout, and NASUWT claim 86% in favour of strike on the same ballot.

So you're looking at about 400 actively voting in favour of strike action.

If 40% of the workforce is that pissed off then listening to them is usually a good idea.

Mad how the Brexit "mandate" was on a lower percentage!

Where are you getting those figures from please?  They don’t match any of what is in the press.

Edited by Asthehills

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I don’t see any City workers in the IOM. Any more irrelevant comparisons?

The comment was made in relation to the causes of inflation. If you think that inflation in the IoM is not affected by inflation in the UK, and therefore what happens in the UK is irrelevant, fair enough. I don't think that.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The trouble is that if you ask anyone who doesn't work in Banking who the most financially inept and feckless group of people are, and they’ll tell you, “Bankers”. 

And looking at the last few decades ...

And we'll doff our caps and our money will be used to bail them out next time. And again etc.

9m American's lost their homes, and Obama bailed out the banks. 

• Like 2