Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

27 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Once again I am glad I don't have a shitty boss like you.

We even get a paid day to go and do voluntary work for a charity.

Your employees don't even get anything for giving up their own time on a weekend to help with an office relocation which you were too much of a skin flint to pay a professional office move company to do for you.

Comes down to attitude and relationship between staff and the management I suppose.

Also. It’s not up to me if we get people in or not, or if the staff need compensation for helping out.  I guess if I had sensed an issue from staff (including me) I could have taken ot to the CEO, but there really wasn’t.  I, and they had a fun day all pulling together for the benefit of the business and the CEO paid for everyone’s lunch and put money behind the bar last night.

You think we are mugs, I feel sorry for people who don’t have the same pride in their job and derive pleasure from going the extra mile when required.

I also know that if any of our workforce need a day off for a family emergency etc at short notice they don’t have to worry about it, or if it will be taken out of holiday entitlement or unpaid.  It’s give and take (as long as people don’t take the p***)

Its really not that uncommon.  I would hate a culture where every hour extra is expected to be repaid or I felt I couldn’t take time out if needed.

Edited by Asthehills
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Banker said:

Apparently the strike days in February are just before half term to allow teachers to get to their annual ski holidays earlier 😀

Sorry @Banker, I was under the impression the intended strike days are  Weds 15 and Thurs 16 Feb.  Half Term is 20-24 Feb, are you suggesting the schools will also be closed on Friday the 17th of Feb too?  Are you making things up?  Again?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Sorry @Banker, I was under the impression the intended strike days are  Weds 15 and Thurs 16 Feb.  Half Term is 20-24 Feb, are you suggesting the schools will also be closed on Friday the 17th of Feb too?  Are you making things up?  Again?

[Banker Mode]17th will probably be an INSET day, allowing teachers to learn more about Newton’s laws of motion from the slopes of Val D’Isère. [\Banker Mode]

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

Do you honestly expect many striking teachers to come in on the Friday, that’ll be a sickie for most of them 😂

On 11/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, Banker said:

We’ll see , the plonkers won’t do that as no pay, they’d rather be as disruptive as possible & get paid!! 

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Apparently the strike days in February are just before half term to allow teachers to get to their annual ski holidays earlier 😀

32 minutes ago, Banker said:

Do you honestly expect many striking teachers to come in on the Friday, that’ll be a sickie for most of them 😂

Make your mind up.

🤡

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Comes down to attitude and relationship between staff and the management I suppose.

It certainly does. Most notably the attitude of the bosses and whether they give the tiniest fuck about having respect for you and your time or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It certainly does. Most notably the attitude of the bosses and whether they give the tiniest fuck about having respect for you and your time or not.

Let me say again.  If any of our staff wake up tomorrow and don’t want to come into work they can just drop a text and make that decision (unless they have a mega important meeting or something). 

No questions, no day off taken.  Obviously they can’t do it all the time but the whole culture is one of not counting hours and what is “owed” one way or another.

It suits us as a business and it suits the staff.  If it didn’t they are free to leave.  Not everyone came in this weekend as some had other plans.  Some did half a day, some did nearly two full days.  Honestly, nobody was really clocking what others did or didn’t do and keeping score.  It just doesn’t work like that.

It’s obviously a different culture to what some of you are used to, where you expect to be financially rewarded for every minute.  Guess what, our staff are happy and generally stay a long time or even leave and then come back.

I honestly couldn’t work somewhere if my colleagues were keeping note of every extra few minutes they worked.  Horses for courses I guess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Let me say again.  If any of our staff wake up tomorrow and don’t want to come into work they can just drop a text and make that decision (unless they have a mega important meeting or something). 

It's probably not just me who's getting a bit bored of this bait and switch.

"Is there time off in lieu?" "No" (unless they decide they want to take a day off in lieu).

I don't know if it's intentional but you seem to constantly misrepresent your job as benefitless and with massive expectations from managers that aren't reciprocated, wait until someone calls it shit, and then reveal a load of benefits.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It's probably not just me who's getting a bit bored of this bait and switch.

"Is there time off in lieu?" "No" (unless they decide they want to take a day off in lieu).

I don't know if it's intentional but you seem to constantly misrepresent your job as benefitless and with massive expectations from managers that aren't reciprocated, wait until someone calls it shit, and then reveal a load of benefits.

If you do a few hours extra you don’t get the same number of hours off in return.  That would be time off in lieu under a rigid scheme.

We operate on goodwill and give and take.  Suits us.  Might not suit you.

The relevance to this thread is anyone who said “that’s not in my contract” or “that’s not in my hours” or “I didn’t get a full half hour for lunch on Tuesday” wouldn’t fit in and would be resented by their colleagues.

Teachers don’t seem to think like that, despite often claiming that it’s a vocation.

Edited by Asthehills

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

The relevance to this thread is anyone who said “that’s not in my contract” or “that’s not in my hours” or “I didn’t get a full half hour for lunch on Tuesday” wouldn’t fit in and would be resented by their colleagues.

Teachers don’t seem to think like that, despite often claiming that it’s a vocation.

Have any member of your family, maybe even yourself, ever participated in a residential educational trip via school?  Maybe a trip to an ‘Adventure Centre’ with Primary, even Liverpool or Alton Towers?  Maybe a Secondary trip to the Normandy beaches, Flanders trenches, Geography field work, football, hockey, rugby tour, London, Lake District, Manchester, DofE on or off Island, Spanish or French exchange?  Maybe a 6th Form University Trip?  Who do you think organises such trips and accompanies the children?  Who do you think is patrolling the corridors at gone midnight?  Who do think is ‘on duty’ from 6.30am Monday morning at the Sea Terminal until 10pm on the Friday?  Do you think such organisers state “that’s not in my contract” or “that’s not in my hours” or “I didn’t get a full half hour for lunch on Tuesday” as you suggest?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

In fairness, when they have pupils there expecting a lesson, they can't really just drop a text in the morning saying they can't make it in that day after all. They don't have that luxury.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meoir Shee said:

Have any member of your family, maybe even yourself, ever participated in a residential educational trip via school?  Maybe a trip to an ‘Adventure Centre’ with Primary, even Liverpool or Alton Towers?  Maybe a Secondary trip to the Normandy beaches, Flanders trenches, Geography field work, football, hockey, rugby tour, London, Lake District, Manchester, DofE on or off Island, Spanish or French exchange?  Maybe a 6th Form University Trip?  Who do you think organises such trips and accompanies the children?  Who do you think is patrolling the corridors at gone midnight?  Who do think is ‘on duty’ from 6.30am Monday morning at the Sea Terminal until 10pm on the Friday?  Do you think such organisers state “that’s not in my contract” or “that’s not in my hours” or “I didn’t get a full half hour for lunch on Tuesday” as you suggest?

I really don’t think you want to be opening that can of worms as a defence for how hard teachers work to be honest 😂😂

1 minute ago, Newbie said:

In fairness, when they have pupils there expecting a lesson, they can't really just drop a text in the morning saying they can't make it in that day after all. They don't have that luxury.

Meh.  My daughter has had 8 lessons in one particular subject cancelled so far this year.

That’s an A level class, and they only went back to school in September 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Meh.  My daughter has had 8 lessons in one particular subject cancelled so far this year.

That’s an A level class, and they only went back to school in September 🤷‍♂️

Well that's not good and shouldn't happen. I can understand your frustration. But it really just goes to show that flexibility of the sort you describe doesn't work in education. Undervaluing teachers and eroding their pay in real terms is unlikely to improve things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1