Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

12 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Meh.  My daughter has had 8 lessons in one particular subject cancelled so far this year.

That’s an A level class, and they only went back to school in September 🤷‍♂️

8 lessons, doubles or triples I presume, so 3 or max 4 sessions.  Teacher could easily have been ill or called to a parental, safeguarding or child protection meeting organized by an external agency, especially if the teacher has additional responsibilities.  Teacher’s child may have been ill.  Teacher may have been taking their own child to university.  Teacher may have had a medical appointment.  Teacher may even have been moving house.  May have been a year group event either at that school or a collaboration partner that required a collapsed timetable or pulled too many students out.  8 lessons is unfortunate but lessons aren’t cancelled lightly.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

8 lessons, doubles or triples I presume, so 3 or max 4 sessions.  Teacher could easily have been ill or called to a parental, safeguarding or child protection meeting organized by an external agency, especially if the teacher has additional responsibilities.  Teacher’s child may have been ill.  Teacher may have been taking their own child to university.  Teacher may have had a medical appointment.  Teacher may even have been moving house.  May have been a year group event either at that school or a collaboration partner that required a collapsed timetable or pulled too many students out.  8 lessons is unfortunate but lessons aren’t cancelled lightly.

I don’t know the terminology.

On 8 occasions her lesson hasn’t occurred, so based on your post that is 8 sessions?  Twice they have only been told after they have traveled to another school for the session/lesson/whatever

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

I don’t know the terminology.

On 8 occasions her lesson hasn’t occurred, so based on your post that is 8 sessions?  Twice they have only been told after they have traveled to another school for the session/lesson/whatever

Most A level lessons, especially involving collaboration, are timetabled in triples to facilitate the traveling, 2x3 per week.  8 triples being cancelled would mean 24 lessons, seeing as we are about 8 weeks in that would be towards 50% of lessons, I suspect that would be a serious problem and couldn’t just be brushed off, unless there is serious long term illness.  The cancellation after traveling to other schools is regrettable but staff can be called out at very short notice with no room for maneuver whatsoever.  If the teacher has a more senior role, such as Head of Year and A level teachers often do, they can be summoned to meetings by various bodies, a police officer could turn up for instance.  Post 16 lessons are, sadly, easier to ‘cancel’ as there is no legal requirement for an adult to be present in the same way as Pre 16.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Most A level lessons, especially involving collaboration, are timetabled in triples to facilitate the traveling, 2x3 per week.  8 triples being cancelled would mean 24 lessons, seeing as we are about 8 weeks in that would be towards 50% of lessons, I suspect that would be a serious problem and couldn’t just be brushed off, unless there is serious long term illness.  The cancellation after traveling to other schools is regrettable but staff can be called out at very short notice with no room for maneuver whatsoever.  If the teacher has a more senior role, such as Head of Year and A level teachers often do, they can be summoned to meetings by various bodies, a police officer could turn up for instance.  Post 16 lessons are, sadly, easier to ‘cancel’ as there is no legal requirement for an adult to be present in the same way as Pre 16.

The other school had told the school the kids were travelling from the day before , but nobody had passed the message to the students their teachers on site or the bus driver.

Quality work all round.  In private enterprise at least three people would have had a telling off.

Maybe take a year out for your crusade for way above normal pay rise and put the basics in order.  Then next year you “might” get more support from the people who use your service?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Quality work Maybe take a year out for your crusade for way above normal pay rise and put the basics in order.  Then next year you “might” get more support from the people who use your service?

Why would you pay them more when they’ve demonstrated for a whole year that the system can work without those pay rises?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The other school had told the school the kids were travelling from the day before , but nobody had passed the message to the students their teachers on site or the bus driver.

Quality work all round.  In private enterprise at least three people would have had a telling off.

Maybe take a year out for your crusade for way above normal pay rise and put the basics in order.  Then next year you “might” get more support from the people who use your service?

I fail to see how, in any way, this can be attributed to me, I’ve attempted to be reasonable in my reply.

If you want to play it that way, any chance you could explain why higher wages fuel inflation?

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

You first.  How many teachers voted for strike action?

I am done in and going to bed.  8:30 to 4 tomorrow with only a lunch hour and a couple of breaks 😂😂

You are a belter aren’t you.  At no point, at all, have I referred to how many teachers have voted for strike action, not once.  I have commented on how a majority of voters in one union may have done so and there must be some legal minimums, not once have I made any representation towards numbers or whatever.  You have totally made that up.

So I’ve gone first, now your turn.  For the fifth time of asking (I think, I’m losing count), could you please back up your at least four-time assertion that higher wages fuel inflation?

• Haha 1

You genuinely have to question the suitability of some of these so-called teachers to be responsible for our young people. 

They have no real-world awareness and think it's realistic to ask for a 30% pay increase during the hardest recession these islands have ever seen. They go on strike after having their income guaranteed during the pandemic even though none of them worked 100% of the time due to school closures. 

Have DESC lowered the barriers of the recruitment process due to perceived staff shortages? 

None of these unionised clowns would last a week in the private sector. 

Minister Edge needs to wake up, smell the coffee, and read them the riot act. If they don't come on side then start firing them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

You genuinely have to question the suitability of some of these so-called teachers to be responsible for our young people. 

They have no real-world awareness and think it's realistic to ask for a 30% pay increase during the hardest recession these islands have ever seen. They go on strike after having their income guaranteed during the pandemic even though none of them worked 100% of the time due to school closures. 

Have DESC lowered the barriers of the recruitment process due to perceived staff shortages? 

None of these unionised clowns would last a week in the private sector. 

Minister Edge needs to wake up, smell the coffee, and read them the riot act. If they don't come on side then start firing them.

If teaching was such a wonderful career as it stands, they wouldn’t be having to bribe STEM graduates with 27k tax free bursaries just to do the training. 

If they sack all the teachers, they won’t get replacements, recruitment is a nightmare because the pay isn’t great, and everyone assumes they’re a layabout.

Plus, with the current climate and prices of things, a salary commensurate with that of 12 years ago, doesn’t really entice. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, 0bserver said:

If they don't come on side then start firing them.

When did it become possible to fire people for taking part in legally organised industrial action? Are you saying they should be fired for having the temerity to ask for a wage commensurate with what they had 10 years ago, or should they be fired for standing up to the government? 

• Like 3