Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

6 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Ok.  Try this one.

What do you value an hour of treatment from someone who has been working 50 hours a week at 02:30 in the morning at.  In ICU?

OK, we’ve been here before.  I have explained to you that any comparison whatsoever with the nursing profession is entirely invalid.  The nursing labour market is completely broken, the RCN has balloted for strike action for the first time ever.  Nurses are terribly underpaid and there are chronic shortages.  Stop this constant race to the bottom.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Meoir Shee said:

OK, we’ve been here before.  I have explained to you that any comparison whatsoever with the nursing profession is entirely invalid.  The nursing labour market is completely broken, the RCN has balloted for strike action for the first time ever.  Nurses are terribly underpaid and there are chronic shortages.  Stop this constant race to the bottom.

Is it a race to the bottom, or is it government paying people what is sustainable without having to bang everyone’s taxes up?

• Confused 1

Just now, Meoir Shee said:

But the nursing labour market clearly isn’t sustainable.  I’m struggling to understand your logic.  Are you stupid?

The nursing  market isn’t sustainable because when you look at the responsibility they have and the hours they work they should be earning twice what a teacher does, yet they earn less than the greedy teachers have just refused.

No I am not stupid.  I am realistic and I understand the fact that teachers are whining but actually better off than many others

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can actually, if so inclined, find debates from 1961 where the resolution was to increase teachers pay by 18%.

In 1963, teacher pay for 'men teachers' was £1,244, rising to £1,880 by 1970. Or about 30k in modern terms. With a £120, (2k in modern terms) pay rise each year guaranteed after that.

Of course, at the time, the average house was £4000, whereas the average house now is £296,000. So twice the average teacher salary, whereas it's now more like 10x.

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1970/may/07/men-teachers-average-salary

During the same period, lots of discussion about raising nurses salaries by 22% too.https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1970/mar/09/nurses-pay

The whole present debate started around stagnation, DESC would've saved themselves a few quid and then some if they'd resolved teacher pay sooner.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The nursing  market isn’t sustainable because when you look at the responsibility they have and the hours they work they should be earning twice what a teacher does, yet they earn less than the greedy teachers have just refused.

No I am not stupid.  I am realistic and I understand the fact that teachers are whining but actually better off than many others

A claim before has boiled down to 'if we give teachers pay rises, we'll have to give nurses and firefighters rises too'.

Would that be such an awful precedent to therefore set?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

So will you be supporting them if they go on strike for the 17% they are asking for?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

A claim before has boiled down to 'if we give teachers pay rises, we'll have to give nurses and firefighters rises too'.

Would that be such an awful precedent to therefore set?

No, but then the point that many are missing is that it has to be affordable and sustainable without throwing the entire labour market into a situation where everyone on less than 60k wanted a massive pay rise.

People need to try and understand the implications of doing that overnight.

However I fear the teachers and their supporters are unable to look at the bigger picture.

If teachers get a 30percent raise then shop workers and plumbers will expect the same.  Who pays for it?  Then guess what, the teachers 30 percent extra is worth nothing as prices everywhere have gone up 

Edited by Asthehills

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

I apologise for using the term stupid.

I simply cannot understand why you constantly feel the need to make comparisons between teaching, which has got major problems, and nursing, which is completely broken.  I don’t think anyone denies nurses have a lot of responsibility, whether that is greater or less than a teacher is open to debate and you clearly have your own views.  You used the extreme example of an ICU nurse working at 2.30am, a typical tactic but not fully representative of the role.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

If teachers get a 30percent raise then shop workers and plumbers will expect the same.  Who pays for it?  Then guess what, the teachers 30 percent extra is worth nothing as prices everywhere have gone up 

Have you seen the price of pretty much anything at the moment? The price rises have already come.

The cost and scarcity of plumbers and other trades is already here too. Lots of money to be made if you can do one. You're buggered if you're paying for work to be done though.