Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

1 hour ago, Meoir Shee said:

OK, £36 per hour to look after and teach c20 kids, call it £2 per pupil per hour.  Is that too much?  Too little?  About right?  What can you actually get for £2, half a lager?

Too much diversion towards underemployed plumbers, back on track.  I repeat my earlier question, is £36 per hour direct labour cost to teach c20 kids acceptable value in our society.  Call it £2 per pupil per hour.  Asthehills has had his say, he thinks not having asked for comparisons with Blackpool and underpaid ICU Nurses, fair enough.  Banker never seems to reply beyond laughing emojis😃.  I’m genuinely interested in people’s thoughts.

1 minute ago, Meoir Shee said:

Too much diversion towards underemployed plumbers, back on track.  I repeat my earlier question, is £36 per hour direct labour cost to teach c20 kids acceptable value in our society.  Call it £2 per pupil per hour.  Asthehills has had his say, he thinks not having asked for comparisons with Blackpool and underpaid ICU Nurses, fair enough.  Banker never seems to reply beyond laughing emojis😃.  I’m genuinely interested in people’s thoughts.

What would the cost of childcare be per hour for one child?

4 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Yes it’s more than acceptable given they only work 195 out of 365 days

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Yes it’s more than acceptable given they only work 195 out of 365 days

So, just to take that a little further, you’d like us, as a society, to spend less than £2 per hour direct labour costs on kids education?  Could you suggest what you regard an acceptable figure?  Maybe a percentage reduction?

1 minute ago, Meoir Shee said:

So, just to take that a little further, you’d like us, as a society, to spend less than £2 per hour direct labour costs on kids education?  Could you suggest what you regard an acceptable figure?  Maybe a percentage reduction?

You have already had a comparison to ICU and other places in Britain which you just dismissed?

I would say £1 tops, which is I keeping with most of the rest of Britain when you take into account class sizes and teachers pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

You have already had a comparison to ICU and other places in Britain which you just dismissed?

I would say £1 tops, which is I keeping with most of the rest of Britain when you take into account class sizes and teachers pay.

Please, we have been through this, the nursing labour market is broken.

For clarification, you would halve the direct labour costs per child in education on the IoM from c£2 per hour to “£1 tops”?

10 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Is it a race to the bottom, or is it government paying people what is sustainable without having to bang everyone’s taxes up?

This is starting to get close to one of the key issues. The public want a Scandinavian level of public services but aren't prepared to pay Scandinavian taxes. Annual spending on education (excluding higher education) per pupil in Sweden, for example, is over £9,000 whereas it is around £6,600/pupil/year in the UK on secondary schools, and around £6,500/pupil/year in the Isle of Man.

When the system starts to break down, the general reaction is "It's the greedy, lazy teachers. They would never survive in the private sector" or "It's the stupid, lazy administrators. They would never survive in the private sector". The truth is that the whole service wouldn't survive in the private sector. They would tell you to piss off as the numbers don't add up. The cost of educating a child privately (day school rather than boarding school) currently averages £15,000 a year in the UK.

In fairness, it isn't all about funding I am sure. Scandinavians take pride in their public services, and whilst they may not be exactly happy to pay high taxes, they are prepared to do so because they know it is in the best interests of society. At the same time, they support those services (because they value them). The discussions on here comparing the cost of education to that of child care shows how we value the service. It's a childcare facility that allows us to go to work.

So as a society, we make our choices, both in terms of what we are prepared to fund, and how we interact with public services. It does seem very short sighted, however, to neglect the education of our children.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2