Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

15 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

@P.K that is nonsense.  I work in the private sector but support those in the public sector getting a fair deal particularly teachers, nurses, and social workers.

Well, the local branch of at least one PS union has just rejected this year's pay offer following balloting of members.

So what is the govt doing to resolve this? They’re not meeting with the NASUWT until a week on Tuesday.   The teachers are not financially losing out with their current action so they’re not going to back down in the short term. 

They each need to be banging their respective heads together today

(Ballakermeen are messing up pupils’ education.   If break times are suddenly so much of an issue why don’t they allow the children affected to come in after break?)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

(Ballakermeen are messing up pupils’ education.   If break times are suddenly so much of an issue why don’t they allow the children affected to come in after break?)

It's not the school, the blame for this is 100% down to government. This is not a new problem, the teachers rejected 2% in March, who would think to come back with the same offer was a good idea? An idiot. 

30 minutes ago, ed fournier said:

So what is the govt doing to resolve this? They’re not meeting with the NASUWT until a week on Tuesday.   The teachers are not financially losing out with their current action so they’re not going to back down in the short term. 

They each need to be banging their respective heads together today

I thought the government release yesterday was pretty clear?

Things are progressing and documents need to be ratified etc which is expected to be October.  At that point they can discuss further if necessary.

Unfortunately one Union seems to think that if they stamp their feet hard enough they can simply get their own way.

Has anyone worked out what a teacher would have to be paid to clear 30k if it was pro-rated with all their time off?

Like it or not for some teachers I know the time off was a contributing factor to their choice of career.  That amount of time off is something most of us can only ever dream of and it keeps being ignored by those supporting the teachers when discussing salary.

A fixed income each month with time off a Christmas, Easter, Summer, TT, half terms etc.  I would happily sacrifice 25% of my annual wage for those times off and I bet I am not alone.

How much does a teacher save over the year in childcare costs compared to someone who works a traditional 37.5 hours a week with 22 days a year hokiday?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

That’s life unfortunately.

Plus there is nothing stopping anyone being a shareholder of any listed business they think is making huge profits.

It's life if you accept it. Or you can do something about it.

People not being paid enough to buy any significant amount of shares can hardly offset their poor salary by buying shares, can they.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HeliX said:

It's life if you accept it. Or you can do something about it.

People not being paid enough to buy any significant amount of shares can hardly offset their poor salary by buying shares, can they.

What do you propose that is achievable in either of our lifetimes?  What would you like me to do about it?

It's all part of the huge wealth transfer operation ongoing and is all well above what is relatively minor bickering between Govt workers and their employees. This is what people need to stand back and look at. If it continues as it is doing there will be international civil unrest amongst the lower classes and sooner rather than later  particularly if it is driven by deprivation over a long winter.

It could be addressed by global taxation initiatives and agreements but as long as you have countries with aspirations of being Singapore-on-Thames, it's not going to happen and the descent to the bottom will continue. What happens then is anybody's guess but it will more than likely not be pretty.

Can I just point out that:

1) Many low grade civil servants do not get paid overtime or even get paid for extra hours they might do. And many go above and beyond and work extra hours every week to make sure stuff gets done. 

2) Many senior civil servants are not on contracts that pay overtime or enable them to even claim standard rate for extra hours and are unable to take the TOIL they have accrued due to the pressure of work.

3) Civil and public servants are tax payers too.

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

Seems to be fine when shareholders and C-level execs get the money instead though doesn't it.

Who says that's fine?

Thatcher's privatisation of the Water lot has been a total disaster for everyone except the shareholders.

The German gov are taking control of the country's biggest energy supplier Uniper. That's how to do it.