Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

56 minutes ago, Newbie said:

So as a society, we make our choices, both in terms of what we are prepared to fund, and how we interact with public services. It does seem very short sighted, however, to neglect the education of our children.

And here lies the problem:

10 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

So, just to take that a little further, you’d like us, as a society, to spend less than £2 per hour direct labour costs on kids education?  Could you suggest what you regard an acceptable figure?  Maybe a percentage reduction?

10 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I would say £1 tops, which is I keeping with most of the rest of Britain when you take into account class sizes and teachers pay.

There are members of society who genuinely believe that direct teacher costs per pupil on the IoM should be halved.  In reality, the only way that could be achieved would be to double class sizes, halve teacher pay or some combination.  Race to the bottom?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

The public want a Scandinavian level of public services but aren't prepared to pay Scandinavian taxes.

This. Applies to all the other services, not just education. We expect world class service, but to be fair, that’s what we’ve been told we should have by successive ministers in various departments (health in particular, I remember David Anderson stating there was no better place than here to suffer major trauma)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wrighty said:

This. Applies to all the other services, not just education. We expect world class service, but to be fair, that’s what we’ve been told we should have by successive ministers in various departments (health in particular, I remember David Anderson stating there was no better place than here to suffer major trauma)

I’ve consistently said we need to up national insurance payments to cover health/social care but no one wants to pay more but demand top class health, roads, education, inflation pay rises, energy subsidies & cheap boat travel but give no ideas as to how it should be paid for.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Your info is out of date.  Plumbers are currently looking for work as the market has dried right up (excuse the pun)

They will be scratching for work again soon enough or having to drop their rates because of the COL crisis.  However, they are used to it as they got shat on in lockdowns, same as the nurses who worked unbelievable hours.  Not anything the greedy teachers who had months off on full pay would know about

Excellent! Might finally get one of them to turn up on time and do a job at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Is that what was wrong with him?

51 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

And here lies the problem:

There are members of society who genuinely believe that direct teacher costs per pupil on the IoM should be halved.  

There are members of society who believe that Adolf Hitler is alive and living on the Moon. You don’t teach statistics, do you? 😉

3 hours ago, Newbie said:

The discussions on here comparing the cost of education to that of child care shows how we value the service. It's a childcare facility that allows us to go to work.

I posed the question comparing the cost of childcare per hour v teaching costs per pupil per hour.

The reason for doing so was to highlight the fact that childcare would work out more expensive on the basis of the calculations being used.

The follow up was to reinforce your point that teaching carries greater responsibility than childcare and therefore we should be willing to pay more for it.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I posed the question comparing the cost of childcare per hour v teaching costs per pupil per hour.

The reason for doing so was to highlight the fact that childcare would work out more expensive on the basis of the calculations being used.

The follow up was to reinforce your point that teaching carries greater responsibility than childcare and therefore we should be willing to pay more for it.

I appreciate that. I think for some, they view it as an absolutely valid comparison!

3 hours ago, Meoir Shee said:

There are members of society who genuinely believe that direct teacher costs per pupil on the IoM should be halved.  In reality, the only way that could be achieved would be to double class sizes, halve teacher pay or some combination.  Race to the bottom?

I'm excited to learn which of the rickety, falling down, not fit for purpose schools are going to house double their current capacity to facilitate this erosion of learning standards.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

I’ve consistently said we need to up national insurance payments to cover health/social care but no one wants to pay more but demand top class health, roads, education, inflation pay rises, energy subsidies & cheap boat travel but give no ideas as to how it should be paid for.

I would pay more, though I think general taxation is preferable to national insurance. Fuck all point having any money if you're dying because the health service is gutted.