Please Sir can I have more!!

Banker

46 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

She then goes on to talk (angrily) about the lack of rise for the experienced teachers having previously said it needed to address recruitment, which the package they have clearly does

She did say recruitment and retention. I am guessing that the retention bit refers to the experienced teachers. 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Same as you & teachers part time 😂

Nope, once again I am not a teacher no do I work part time.  I work in tge Private Sector for a good employer that pays well, has good benefits and doesn't treat employees like dirt.

4 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Is that the best response you have? Good effort 🙄

Did it hit a nerve?  I think so given the reaction.

3 hours ago, 2bees said:

You're not one of those glasshouse stone throwers', are you?

Nope.  I don't claim to work 60 hours plus per week with no holidays and with total dedication to my employer.

Those two clowns do or at least make similar claims.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Nope, once again I am not a teacher no do I work part time.  I work in tge Private Sector for a good employer that pays well, has good benefits and doesn't treat employees like dirt.

Did it hit a nerve?  I think so given the reaction.

Nope.  I don't claim to work 60 hours plus per week with no holidays and with total dedication to my employer.

Those two clowns do or at least make similar claims.

I’ve never said I work long hours & have said I’m now part time, working for a couple of companies & a charitable one. You’re obviously touchy to any criticism Geraldine!

• Haha 2

On 11/8/2022 at 6:49 AM, Newbie said:

it is around £6,600/pupil/year in the UK on secondary schools, and around £6,500/pupil/year in the Isle of Man

Because DESC refuses to disclose the funding formula, all stakeholders cannot have an honest, transparent discussion about it. From my back of envelope, attempt to reverse out the numbers on a like for like basis (take into account FSM, EAL, SEN) as you state it roughly 10% lower than UK average. Bulk budgets (rightly so) on teachers who are on fringe London weighting, which is higher than UK average. Fact IoM does not have a pupil or subject premium, further distorts the system versus the UK. But clear the lower funding versus UK falls squarely onto the shoulders of children. 

budgets.png

contextual.png

On 9/30/2022 at 10:12 PM, Asthehills said:

I don’t know what planet you are on where businesses are dishing out 6 percent increases on top of absorbing massive energy increases RTC.

Maybe a few financial plaices are but it certainly isn’t common.

I’m aware this comment is almost 2 months old but average wages across the UK are still growing at 6% on average, ONS Earnings Growth Survey Nov 2022.

“Average regular pay growth for the private sector was 6.6% in July to September 2022, and 2.2% for the public sector; outside of the height of the pandemic period, this is the largest growth seen for the private sector and the largest difference between the private sector and public sector.”

1 minute ago, Meoir Shee said:

I’m aware this comment is almost 2 months old but average wages across the UK are still growing at 6% on average, ONS Earnings Growth Survey Nov 2022.

“Average regular pay growth for the private sector was 6.6% in July to September 2022, and 2.2% for the public sector; outside of the height of the pandemic period, this is the largest growth seen for the private sector and the largest difference between the private sector and public sector.”

So.  Less than the teachers have just turned down then?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

So why do the public sector in Iom expect to receive 4/5 times what they receive in the UK with 10/11% pay demands?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

So why do the public sector in Iom expect to receive 4/5 times what they receive in the UK with 10/11% pay demands?

Newsflash. RCN have balloted their members and voted for strike action. UNISON and UNITE are currently balloting members. NASUWT are balloting members in the UK. The University and College Union has balloted members and have voted for strike action. Workers in the UK haven't accepted 2.2%. 

The 2.2% figure is part of the historic pattern in the UK whereby public services have seen anything between a 20% and 30% pay cut in real terms across many sectors over the past decade. The figure is part of the reason so many of them are now balloting for strike action. The idea that IoM public services should be happy with what they have been offered because the UK public services have seen wages rise by 2.2% over the past year (at a time of 10% inflation) shows either a complete lack of understanding, or a deliberate misrepresentation of the situation

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Asthehills said:

So.  Less than the teachers have just turned down then?

You're being obtuse on purpose. Teachers have lacked these payrises for several years, so are looking for a deal that rectifies that. So yes, they're turning down deals that only fix 1 year of the erosion.

2 hours ago, HeliX said:

You're being obtuse on purpose. Teachers have lacked these payrises for several years, so are looking for a deal that rectifies that. So yes, they're turning down deals that only fix 1 year of the erosion.

Hasn’t the last deal, which NASUWT refused, just been applied to their wages from the start of this school year?